PDA

View Full Version : Philly Mini 2008

LightsByGreg
01-06-2008, 06:24 PM
Hey guys, I'm starting to get some ideas together for our 2008 mini plus.

My plan is to have it sometime in late June-July. I have to see what weekends I am here to host it. It will be nice to have all you guys (and girls) to my house to discuss the best hobby ever!

One advantage that I have is that my home has a large basement. This means if it rains, we can still have the mini without getting poured on.

I am located in Pittsgrove, NJ. The major local landmark is Parvin State Park and we are right up the road from Vineland. Our house is just 5 minutes off Route 55.

If you guys have any ideas at all for the mini Plus, please post them in this forum. You can start a new topic or just reply to this post.

I ask that you please send me some information through PM:
First Name

It will be great to see everyone again and meet some new people too! I can't wait!

Thanks,
Greg

Jeff Millard
01-30-2008, 10:14 PM
Hey Greg,

Is there any indication of the date you're interested in? I have discussed the possibility of some folks staying at the campground for the night Friday, to be at your place Saturday morning. I have a feeling that the best tent sites (right on the edge of the lake) will be reserved well in advance. This is really the least of our worries, but something to consider... along with any other accomodations that might need to be made.

Let me know what you're thinking...

Jeff

LightsByGreg
01-31-2008, 09:51 PM
Jeff, no dates yet but it will definitely be on a weekend. There is a chance of the last weekend in June and then the rest of the summer would probably be ok. We booked our WDW vacation for June 15 to 20. I will let you know ASAP when we can do this!
Thanks,
Greg

Greg Young
02-01-2008, 11:43 AM
Hey Greg
My daughter lives in Mt Holly, NJ, so depending on the date, I could not only visit my daughter and grandson, but catch a mini as well!
It would certainly be nice to meet folks, and see folks that have made PLUS in the past again, as well!

Macrosill
02-01-2008, 12:31 PM
I would really enjoy meeting you Greg! It is a real treat when you actually get to meet someone you have had numerous pleasant email exchanges with.

Jeff Millard
02-01-2008, 04:15 PM
I would really enjoy meeting you Greg! It is a real treat when you actually get to meet someone you have had numerous pleasant email exchanges with.

Huh? What? He was at both of the previous minis with his dad, and big PAR cans the first time, and huge amounts of chasing ropelight the second time...
Am I missing something????

J

LightsByGreg
02-01-2008, 07:45 PM
Jeff, "Greg Young"

Greg :)

Jeff Millard
02-01-2008, 08:13 PM
Jeff, "Greg Young"

Greg :)

LOL! That's what I get for trying to read and post on my Dell Axim!!!

:rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes:

Jeff

LightsByGreg
02-02-2008, 12:55 PM
shame shame!

Jeff Millard
02-02-2008, 04:44 PM
shame shame!
Hey, U get Ur access where U can LOL
j

Jeff Millard
03-09-2008, 12:16 PM
Racks have been spoken for.

Jeff

CP1
03-11-2008, 02:18 AM
Hey Greg,
What would you like us to bring?

LightsByGreg
03-11-2008, 06:52 PM
Well, I've been thinking, but I want some ideas. Do you have anything new of different you'd like to show off? Please let me know....
Greg

Wayne J
03-11-2008, 10:01 PM
last year it was brought up about a pcb etching 'how to' but the mini was pretty limited on time. If this one is going to be 2 days, maybe we can squeeze that in.

lbro
03-12-2008, 08:01 AM
Greg,
Last year what I did when we put together the list for things last year was to send everyone a PM and ask what they wold like to see or show. I had alot of replies.
That may help.
Lou

LightsByGreg
03-12-2008, 05:04 PM
OK I'll try that. Thanks for the suggestions

Greg

CP1
03-14-2008, 03:09 PM
Greg, I like the idea of a little kind of training thing also. Maybe you guys CAN teach an old dog (me) new tricks!!!! Hey also on the line of bring things...... Would you like us to bring food too? Just a thought and I definatly dont want to come rolling in empty handed.

LightsByGreg
03-14-2008, 08:43 PM
I think for the food part you shouldn't worry about that... I think I will do something similar to the food Jeff has set up in years' past. Probably some sub trays with different types of subs would be a good start...plus sodas etc etc.

I am going to ask around to see if anybody wants to do some demos...I know I could do something with DMX fixtures since I have 2 intimidators and a LOR iDMX.

Thanks,
Greg

CP1
03-16-2008, 05:25 AM
I think that would be pretty interesting and I know nothing about DMX but would like to see whats its all about. Got any ideas on how to make small strobes or building animated figures?

LightsByGreg
03-17-2008, 08:10 PM
I remember Annalisa had a tutorial about strobes from white LED lights....
Animated figures? Do you mean like wireframes or animatronics (like at WDW)? I have a lot of wireframes and they are actually a pretty simple concept. Animatronics are a little more complicated but I could at least tell you what I know.

Thanks
Greg

WWNF911
03-17-2008, 09:36 PM
I remember Annalisa had a tutorial about strobes from white LED lights....

Annalisa on DIYC or PC? I have purchased 50 10mm LEDS with the hopes in creating a strobe effect. I'd really be interested in that tutorial if you know where I can find it.

Thanks in advance for any help Greg.

Leon

crazylightlady
03-17-2008, 10:12 PM
Annalisa on DIYC or PC? I have purchased 50 10mm LEDS with the hopes in creating a strobe effect. I'd really be interested in that tutorial if you know where I can find it.

Thanks in advance for any help Greg.

Leon

The How-To is on my site crazylightlady.us

If you have any questions just shoot me a pm. Of course I will be bringing a bunch of my LED goodies to the Mini and maybe even a Lynx.

WWNF911
03-17-2008, 10:32 PM
The How-To is on my site crazylightlady.us

If you have any questions just shoot me a pm. Of course I will be bringing a bunch of my LED goodies to the Mini and maybe even a Lynx.

Thanks CLL!!!!!

Unfortunately I won't be at the mini. (I live in Reno) But I do appreciate the help :)

CP1
03-18-2008, 03:36 AM
Greg I was thinking wire frame but if you can tell me about animatronics that would be great too!!!.... Hope you guys dont mind a bunch of questions cause Im sure gonna be bendin your ears!

lbro
03-18-2008, 10:56 AM
We LOVE questions!!
I know I am planning a few:-)
Lou

LightsByGreg
03-19-2008, 12:53 AM
OK just remember to ask me when you come and I'll let you know everything I know!

Greg

Jeff Millard
03-19-2008, 08:16 PM
OK just remember to ask me when you come and I'll let you know everything I know!

Greg

C'mon, you can't shove all that info into two days... 2 years maybe. ;)

LightsByGreg
03-20-2008, 12:33 AM
oh boy this mini could be a record breaker!

klanger
03-20-2008, 06:31 AM
C'mon, you can't shove all that info into two days... 2 years
maybe. ;)

I would only need a couple of hours to tell you all i know about blinky lights.grin

kev.

Macrosill
03-20-2008, 08:40 AM
I would only need a couple of hours to tell you all i know about blinky lights.grin

kev.

Come on Kev. Your display was great last year and I will bet you know more than you realize! After all your display made it into the DIYC 2008 Calendar!

Wayne J
07-04-2008, 01:05 AM
Is there anyone, who will be attending the mini, be making a Mouser order that will include the 16F688 PICs? I am in need of a few, just not 25 of them, as that is where the price break is. If not, maybe a few of us can get together, that needs them, and do a small group buy.

shocker
07-05-2008, 10:23 AM
wayne order your pic from microchip direct http://www.microchipdirect.com/productsearch.aspx?Keywords=16f688

WWNF911
07-06-2008, 04:24 AM
Wayne I am not going to the mini but would be willing to be in a group buy as I could probably use some spares/ diag pics etc.

Thanks

Leon

rrowan
07-11-2008, 10:55 PM
Hi guys,

Well surfing the net the other day. I am across another Christmas lights website and was surprise to see the Philly mini posted there.

http://www.pennsylvaniachristmaslights.com/upcoming-minis/

Is anybody a member there and posted the mini?

Rick R.

WWNF911
07-12-2008, 06:05 AM
Hi guys,

Well surfing the net the other day. I am across another Christmas lights website and was surprise to see the Philly mini posted there.

http://www.pennsylvaniachristmaslights.com/upcoming-minis/

Is anybody a member there and posted the mini?

Rick R.

Unless I'm mistaken, I think several going are PC members. That might be your link. :wink:

lbro
07-12-2008, 06:40 AM
That is Kirk Brown's site.

rlilly
07-17-2008, 04:18 PM
Is there anyone, who will be attending the mini, be making a Mouser order that will include the 16F688 PICs? I am in need of a few, just not 25 of them, as that is where the price break is. If not, maybe a few of us can get together, that needs them, and do a small group buy.

Wayne, you might want to check Allied (http://www.alliedelec.com/Search/ProductDetail.aspx?SKU=383-0416&SEARCH=&ID=&DESC=PIC16F688%2DI%2FP) for this PIC. About $1/PIC less than Mouser.

wbuehler
07-22-2008, 06:53 PM
Hello All

Well it is a sad day that I have to post this. As of today I will not be able to attend the Mini. The company that I work for was purchased and we had a round of Lay Off's last week. At this time I think that it would be better for me to stick around the office. The giveaway's that I had planned will continue it will just be mailed to the winners. I will work on the details of the giveaways and post later.

I am sorry for the trouble all.

Bill

lbro
07-23-2008, 07:50 AM
Good luck Bill.
I was looking forward to meeting you there, as I am sure were others.

Macrosill
07-23-2008, 09:41 AM
Good luck Bill.
I was looking forward to meeting you there, as I am sure were others.

Speak for yourself Lou!

Ha ha, j/k Bill. I am sorry to hear you can not attend. Maybe next year!
Good luck with work.