Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: A small twist to an old Classic ...

Fountain Valley, CA (Orange County, So. Cal)
    Post Thanks / Like

Default Re: A small twist to an old Classic ...

What is the value of STATUS.C going into the code? If it's not 0, the first rrf will be turning on upper bits. That's probably not the cause of what you're seeing, but could cause other data corruption problems.

don
    Click for display details >>
    web site: http://www.eShepherdsOfLight.com or http://www.facebook.com/eShepherdsOfLight
    technical articles: http://downloads.eshepherdsoflight.com

Post Thanks / Like

AAAAAGHHHHH..... (translated - I figured it out)

"It was almost like it was shifting things 3 times instead of 1"

Answer - because it was.

The source code for the PC (BASIC) does not appear to align with the functionality of the corresponding executable. So my request to Tx a single command, resulted in (you guessed it) three copies of the command being sent to the PIC. Which resulted in 3 shifts.. and 0x80 becomes 0x10!! :confused:

(sound of my head pounding on the table) So this has been working properly for days... (ugh)

Adding in the delays, and extra blinks, meant that the PIC was ignoring the extra content on the serial line, and thus appeared to be working correctly.

Thanks everyone who provided feedback (here and on the "PIC" boards).

It's just been one of THOSE weeks.. (just when things seemed to be getting better).

On the bright side... the only thing left now is the bit bashing out to the LedTriks. (oh..and *building* my LedTriks (a minor step I'm sure))

Fountain Valley, CA (Orange County, So. Cal)
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by LabRat View Post
    So my request to Tx a single command, resulted in (you guessed it) three copies of the command being sent to the PIC. Which resulted in 3 shifts.. and 0x80 becomes 0x10!!
    I was hoping you had found a fancy new way to do multi-bit shifting. I could have used that ... :P

don
    Click for display details >>
    web site: http://www.eShepherdsOfLight.com or http://www.facebook.com/eShepherdsOfLight
    technical articles: http://downloads.eshepherdsoflight.com

Post Thanks / Like

This isn't dead, I've been sidetracked for a while. Finished the build on my LedTriks this weekend, and the panel is ready to be attached. I'm trying to get the PIK-C to talk to the LedTriks so that I can validate the wiring to the panel.

The work is continuing. (Will post more details in my Blog)

Post Thanks / Like

Just an update - It is ... *ALIVE* the PIK-C (pixC, piksC) is driving my ledtriks, and my panel is operational. I've still got some work to do, including tracking down why that one led is staying off (very odd.. if I press the board "near" the led, it lights up. (Nope.. not a cold solder joint.. redid the connections, and even swapped out the LED). The entire column is "ghosting" as a result. If I touch the lead and push (or pull) the led lights up, and the rest of the column goes dark.

Anyhow.. back to the PIK-C. It's working, but I'm not sure I'm happy with the overall response time. I'm thinking about reversing the code logic, and having the IRQ's handle the incoming serial traffic, and use the "main loop" to write out to the LCD. (reverse to what it's doing right now).

I'll post pictures when I can.

Running:
    16F688, internal 8 Mhz oscillator, confounded method of getting serial RS232 to the board. I'm planning to respin my PIC-C, so I haven't populated the serial portion of the board. I'll do a new one, and populate *THAT* board instead.

Post Thanks / Like

Brief update.. haven't tried the *REAL* serial transceiver yet, but the rest of the PIK-C is running the way it should (found the problem with the rows ghosting (firmware issue)).

Post Thanks / Like

Just a status update:

The serial circuit is now working flawlessly, and I've done an update to the FW so that it will "timeout" on serial inactivity. At that point it will start cycling through the ROM images (not fancy transitions, just cutting from one to the next every 4 seconds).

It's working flawlessly (so far) as a PIC based version of the TRIKS-C. I've run some animations using LTC, and even configured it to be panel 0 or panel 1 so that the "countdown" function would display properly.

My original plan was to have it "inline" with the panel, and stuffed inside a standard "ARCHER" project box. The board layout was based upon this enclosure and I think I can do better.

I'm re-thinking this now, and the version 2.0 of the layout will be simplified to a 1.8"x2.45" board. I believe it will be easy enough to mount this inside my LEDTRIKS panel, somewhere beside the LEDTRICKS board itself. Thus keeping the "parallel" cable nice and short.

That's the update so far..

Quote Originally Posted by LabRat View Post
    Brief update.. haven't tried the *REAL* serial transceiver yet, but the rest of the PIK-C is running the way it should (found the problem with the rows ghosting (firmware issue)).

Post Thanks / Like

Just an update - the proto-type has served its purpose, and I'm moving onto the next "version" of the board. Just trying to decide if I stick with home etch, or send this out to get a couple of boards made up. If I go to double sided (send out), I can pack this down fairly small (1.8 x 2.2 inches). The home etch is running at around 1.8 x 2.45 inches.

Here are the two images, home etch vs "send it out to be made". I suspect many of you already have the Tricks-C and/or are happy doing AVR development. If there's interest I can look into getting a small run of the boards made (NOT a coop... I would front the cash/risk etc).
    Attached Images Attached Images

Post Thanks / Like

Ok.. so this morning's epiphany is/was...

... "oh look.. I just made a REN8 without the ZC support"...

Sure 'nuff, the PIX-C is pretty much a serial input to a PIC, with 8 I/O outputs going to the RJ45 jack. Admittedly not the exact same *pinout* as
    the default REN8, but there are implications here:

a. My PIX-C fw should be easily adapted to run inside existing REN8's.
    So a fw upgrade to a REN8 + a custom cable, and you have a serial
    interface to the LEDTRIKS.

b. My PIX-C hw should be easily adapted to run as an 8-channel DCSSR
    driver board.

Just some observations.

Post Thanks / Like

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast