Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: vixen channel output

Post Thanks / Like

Default Re: vixen channel output

okay apparently I am Way too silly to figure this out. When I change the Channel output using the channel output screen, ( top left button in profile page), If I pull say channel one and move it to under channel 6, one now outputs to six. But when I check i the sequence to check what the channels outputs are now, 1 goes to 6, 2 goes to one, 3 goes to 2, 4 goes to 3, etc until you get to seven where it goes back to the natural order. I am desperite as I drove home 5 hours from my jobsite to fix this and have to drive back tomorrow afternoon. I have about 12 channels to change outputs on so it just gets better each time I try. Anyone tell me what I am doing wrong??????
    Why can't you put a square peg in a round hole? Most committees do it constantly!

Post Thanks / Like

It is acting as it should. You pull a channel out and place it somewhere else, everything else has to move too.

What are you trying to accomplish exactly? I know you want 12 channels moved around, but in what order do you need them? If you like, send the sequence and profile, I will change them around for ya, should only take about 5 minutes.
    James Family Christmas - 1600 channels of SS Renard channels
    Website - http://jamesfamilychristmas.com/ <<broken
    Facebook - James Family Christmas

Post Thanks / Like

Actually, I just want the channel to output to a different channel I have spare. The physical location of the plug was unable to go the the ssr. I was just adding another box and moving the output to that channel. Had a few to do and did not want to copy paste the changes in each sequence. I thought it was actually simple. Seems I am really the simple one on this subject!
    Why can't you put a square peg in a round hole? Most committees do it constantly!

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by John Benedict View Post
    Actually, I just want the channel to output to a different channel I have spare. The physical location of the plug was unable to go the the ssr. I was just adding another box and moving the output to that channel. Had a few to do and did not want to copy paste the changes in each sequence. I thought it was actually simple. Seems I am really the simple one on this subject!
    OK, just move the channel to that location, then one it is replacing to the the location of the one you moved. Basically just swap out the two with each other. Then all of the other channels will stay as they were. ;)
    James Family Christmas - 1600 channels of SS Renard channels
    Website - http://jamesfamilychristmas.com/ <<broken
    Facebook - James Family Christmas

Post Thanks / Like

As Wayne stated. When you move channel 1 to channel 6 you also need to move the old channel to 6 the channel 1 spot. This way channel 2 still stays in the second spot.
    Thanks,
    Brian, your friendly site Admin.

Post Thanks / Like

Wow, it all seems so simple after a nights sleep. Thanks for the help guys. Swapping the channels was what I was missing.

Pacifica, Calif (30mins from downtown San Francisco)
    Post Thanks / Like

OK, now I'm stuck/confused.

Like John, I need to move some channel data from one place to another -- because of issues too mundane to address here, I need the information that was formerly transmitted on Channel 10 to now be transmitted on Channel 7 (there are a bunch of others, too, but let's take this one at a time).

So, I open the profile, click on the "change the channel outputs" button, click on Channel 10 and then drag it up underneath Channel 6. Then I click on Channel 7 and drag it down underneath Channel 9.

I click "OK."

I open an existing sequence that uses that profile, and Channels 7 and 10 and where they had been before. I create a new sequence, and Channels 7 and 10 haven't moved.

As far as I can tell, nothing has changed, except when I click on "change the channel outputs" button on the profile, the channels have moved.

What am I missing here?

Thanks.

\dmc

Post Thanks / Like

Right click on the channel names in the sequence screen. Click on toggle channel outputs. You should now see a gray box to the left of the channel name that shows where the output is going. So the gray 7 would be with Channel 10, and the gray 10 with channel 7.

This is confusing with channel names that are the default numbers. If you use "bushes" instead of Channel 7 and "tree" instread of Channel 10, it get easier to see and change.

Keep in mind that there is no default way to set the channel order shown in the sequencing window to the channel output order if you change the order. You would have to create a new channel order, and know which channel goes where to do this.

After the holidays, I plan on putting together a few files that will better show the differences between channel order, channel output, and natural order, since this seems to be something many people are struggling with.
    1 channel, 0 dimmable. Powered by a man flicking a lightswitch to the beat.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Macrosill View Post
    As Wayne stated. When you move channel 1 to channel 6 you also need to move the old channel to 6 the channel 1 spot. This way channel 2 still stays in the second spot.
    Yep, I had ~100 outputs to reorder. I spent 5 days playing Three-card Monte. :oops:

I reverted back to Vixen 1.1, reordered the channels, converted to 2.X and finally, got it done. ;)

template_2008.zip

----------------------------------------

For A work around. If you have several outputs to reorder.... You might try this.

Vixen 2.X -> 1.1 -> 2.x. Steps:

1- Open an existing 2.X sequence, from the "sequence" drop down , choose "export channel names list", close Vixen 2.x.

2- Download Vixen 1.1 and create a blank template sequence. No need to setup plugins or channel size at this time.

3- From the "sequence" drop down, choose "import channel names list", pick the file you saved in the 2.X "Imports and Exports" folder. Channel size will be adjusted automatically.

4- Right click on any sequence channel name, Click "toggle channel outputs".

5- Double click on the gray channel output number you want to change and enter the output # you desire.

Keep in mind, as above, you still have to account for all the channels you displace! From the "sequence" drop down, choose "Verify output channel mapping" and take care of any orphans you might have. :grin:

6- Download and extract a new copy of Vixen 2.X to a new folder (do not run it yet), save the 1.1 sequence to the new 2.X "sequences" folder. Now run the new copy's 2.X "vixen.exe". The blank 1.1 template sequence will now be converted to 2.X with the new channel output order.

-Craig
    Last edited by Reddy_Kilowatt; 12-22-2008 at 06:13 PM. Reason: typo's

Post Thanks / Like

It was a somewhat confusing learning curve. After a couple of them I started even using spare channels at the end of the list and inserting them where needed to make the order. I was really wishing i knew how to write a small program that just "swapped channel outputs". Couple of time I got lost on what I was moving and had to stop and study where I was. With some practice, it worked out fine. but it would have been really fun to just fill in 2 blanks! However, don't think I'm complaing. I love the software and what it does for me.

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast