Thread: F16V3 Pixel Controller / F16V3 and Renard TR16

Post Thanks / Like

Default F16V3 Pixel Controller / F16V3 and Renard TR16

I have a Renard Plus TR-16 controller connected to one of the serial ports on my Falcon F16V3. I can get the Renard to light up the attached lights just fine. My question is how to configure the Renard ports, especially in XLights and FPP:

Is each Renard device treated like a full WS2811 pixel (i.e. 3 channels) or as 1/3 of a pixel (1 channel)? If they are treated as a full 3-channel pixel, what determines the brightness? Is it an amalgam of all three RGB channels?

If Renard channels are configured and treated as 1/3 of a pixel, how do I model them in XLights and configure them in FPP?

Regards,

Dennis the Menace

Post Thanks / Like

Default Re: F16V3 Pixel Controller / F16V3 and Renard TR16

They are individual string in FPP and should be placed at a well known location in a universe. Clumped together would be best.

2019 - Just moved into a new home (yet another change of plans). Will be dim but not dark. Too much to do at the new place to leave time for a show.
    https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCyX...ttrsZNARkUce0Q

Post Thanks / Like

Thanks. What do they appear to be in XLights? I can configure them as "Renard" or 2811. I think Renard, since they're not pixels. I guess XLights handles it the same way though.

Regards,

Dennis

Post Thanks / Like

I am not an xlights person. In Vixen they would simply be a bunch of single channels patched to an E1.31 controller.

2019 - Just moved into a new home (yet another change of plans). Will be dim but not dark. Too much to do at the new place to leave time for a show.

Post Thanks / Like

Did you make the correct jumper cable from the renard to the falcon?

What firmware are you running on the renard?

I had the same questions when I set up my SS24 to run through the falcon16V3. Finally got the falcon to communicate to the Renard and flash the lights but the lag and the fact that all the ac light would do is turn on and off was a disappointment.

Let see if I can remember what I did....

I'm not at my computer but in Xlights on the setup tab I think you create an E.1.31 item as you normally would for a the falcon, give it the same IP address as the falcon and I designated universe 1 channel 1-24 to my renard. (SS24).

In the layout tab I believe you set the controller port to 2, protocol is Renard, and Renard channel is 1.

When creating a model to represent a channel it would just be #string=1 and lights/string =1, start channel #1:1, next model would be #1:2. So each plug on the renard is 1 channel.

On the falcon web interface page you have to set-up your serial output port. Mine was set to mode: serial data, type: renard, universe 1, start address 1, baud rate 57600, stop bit: 1 bit.

Hope this helps. Once I get by my computer I may be able to help you more.

Post Thanks / Like

Thanks. It's all working, the lights flash in Test mode. Just trying to understand how XLights communicates to Renard channels.

Regards,

Dennis the Menace

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by dennismc View Post
    Thanks. It's all working, the lights flash in Test mode. Just trying to understand how XLights communicates to Renard channels.

Regards,

Dennis the Menace
    XLights will not see the Renard channels. It only sees a block of E1.31 channels. Like the other poster, I put all of my single channel props at the start of the first universe going to the F16 and send them to the collocated renard.