Thread: Led strip clearance for pex

Post Thanks / Like

Default Led strip clearance for pex

Just wanted to check, because I've seen many people mention they use 1" pex for leaping arches with led strip inside, but the ID (inside diameter) of 3/4" pex is apparently 17.29mm average (depending on brand), and the average width of led strip is 12mm. Is there a reason not to use 3/4"?

Post Thanks / Like

Default Re: Led strip clearance for pex

Quote Originally Posted by XmasinVancouver View Post
    Just wanted to check, because I've seen many people mention they use 1" pex for leaping arches with led strip inside, but the ID (inside diameter) of 3/4" pex is apparently 17.29mm average (depending on brand), and the average width of led strip is 12mm. Is there a reason not to use 3/4"?
    I used 3/4" pex with strip no issues......It is a little snug, but fits great.
    I had house outline all done with pex years ago....Had to buy the clips from the US (white). One of the reasons why i bought a 3d printer so i could make my own.
    Phil

Post Thanks / Like

For some the led is too close to the PEX, causing "hot spots". With the larger tubing, the light from the LED gets a bit more "spread out" as it hits the walls of the tube. I, personally, like the look much better. Then here again, this is a personal view and choice.
    Live, Laugh, Love.

Post Thanks / Like

I use the 1” PEX (w LED strips) for my arches, but use 1/2“ PEX (w same LED strips, but double-sided) for my icicles.

The hot-spots you see in the video aren’t as noticeable in real-life (combination of distance and 50% intensity)

https://youtu.be/D-OxLoW3gYE