Thread: Sizing imported pictures into Vixen 3.4

Post Thanks / Like

Default Sizing imported pictures into Vixen 3.4

I added a 21 x 42 pixel grid this year. I have a couple of questions. Iím trying to import a picture from Google Images. They are jpg or png files. Will these work okay in Vixen? How do you re-size the picture to better fit in the matrix? My first attempts show a very vague image. The background is so bright that it drowns everything else out. EX: from Google images, I am using a JPG file of an eagle with a blue background and wasnít sure if I needed to remove the blue background by making it a transparency.

Post Thanks / Like

Default Re: Sizing imported pictures into Vixen 3.4

The cleanest format for pixels is to remove what you don't want in an image and to use black background .
    Using transparency on pixels has a tendency of turning pixels on where you do not desire them .

Cheers

3. Thanks Bob_nj thanked for this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Thank you for your quick reply. Do you know what is the best and quickest way to get my image with a black background?

Post Thanks / Like

Depending on the tools used , an easy way is to add a solid black layer to the edited image and set it as the bottom layer .

Post Thanks / Like

Thank you for your reply. We have been able to get the image on a black background. When we load the image to Vixen, the colors look "washed out". We are getting the images from "Google Images" and we are now wondering if these images are too "complicated" for the pixel grid. Any thoughts??

Post Thanks / Like

With your image editing tools are you capable of adjusting contrast or brightness ?

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Bob_nj View Post
    Thank you for your reply. We have been able to get the image on a black background. When we load the image to Vixen, the colors look "washed out". We are getting the images from "Google Images" and we are now wondering if these images are too "complicated" for the pixel grid. Any thoughts??
    Hi Bob, I've dealt with a similar issue recently. Can you post a screenshot of what you are seeing? I've actually found a few tricks for this issue. For beginners, you may want to try toggling openGL preview off or On, whichever is the opposite of the current state, and restarting Vixen. I received that advice from one of the devs recently re: display preview rendering issues. If we saw what you are describing, it may help us narrow it down. As far as being "washed out", are you talking about the dimming feature used with background images in the preview setup? If so, the idea being that light shows are usually viewed at night or semi-darkness. Vivid, bright background images would washout the visibility of the lights and also appear unrealistic. But again, I would suggest uploading a screenshot here if possible

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by XmasinVancouver View Post
    Hi Bob, I've dealt with a similar issue recently. Can you post a screenshot of what you are seeing? I've actually found a few tricks for this issue. For beginners, you may want to try toggling openGL preview off or On, whichever is the opposite of the current state, and restarting Vixen. I received that advice from one of the devs recently re: display preview rendering issues. If we saw what you are describing, it may help us narrow it down. As far as being "washed out", are you talking about the dimming feature used with background images in the preview setup? If so, the idea being that light shows are usually viewed at night or semi-darkness. Vivid, bright background images would washout the visibility of the lights and also appear unrealistic. But again, I would suggest uploading a screenshot here if possible
    Does the Vixen Preview differ from what is visible on the pixels ?
    I use a different lighting sequencer and 3rd party software to create my image sequences which work flawlessly together .
    I am curious as to why the preview should differ from what is loaded from the light sequencer .

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by angus40 View Post
    Does the Vixen Preview differ from what is visible on the pixels ?
    I use a different lighting sequencer and 3rd party software to create my image sequences which work flawlessly together .
    I am curious as to why the preview should differ from what is loaded from the light sequencer .
    The preview generally does not differ much, but there may be some differences in the color temps of the pixels you use and you may need to tweak some things at times. More likely what is going on here is a resolution issue. 21 X 42 is not a lot of resolution if you are trying to use high detailed images. In your image editor, convert the images you are working with to be 21 X 42 and that will give you a good idea what it will look like on your grid. So you likely need to focus on simple images and you will have some better luck. I have a similar size grid and it took me a while to figure what kinds of images would look good.

Post Thanks / Like

I have a 36 panel P10 matrix 192 x 96. I use very few "pictures" on it. I create a lot of my own images and animations using this free online app https://www.piskelapp.com/. I created my signing faces on this site. It is very easy to use, so easy my 8 year old creates images on it for me.