Thread: Pixel Spacing vs Number of Strings on Mega Tree?

Post Thanks / Like

Default Pixel Spacing vs Number of Strings on Mega Tree?

I am looking at building a Mega Tree using a trampoline that had a ripped mat as a base.

My initial thought was doing 100 node strings with 3" pixel spacing which would be around 21' tall. I was thinking of doing a 360 tree with 64 strings.

But my question is, would this look better doing 2" spacing between nodes and 48 strings rather than 3" spacing with 64 strings? The price wouldn't be much different overall but I'm afraid the 2" spacing would lead to some issues with power injection and power...

100 nodes as opposed to 150 nodes would mean I could feed power to the strings from the base all the way around and not have to worry about having to try to power inject every 100 nodes (which would be two thirds the way up the string on the first string, two thirds down the string on the second, etc.)

But the main question is, would 48 strings of 2" spaced nodes look significantly better than 64 strings of 3" spaced nodes?

Doing 2" spacing is also more nodes, which means 7,200 node as opposed to 6,400 nodes with 3" spacing with more strings.

I'm already trying to make sure I've got enough power as 6,400 nodes would be over 400 amps (at 100%, but I'd probably never run it at more than 40%.)

A related question: does the percentage in the software directly correlate to power being drawn from the supply?
    Last edited by timothylarson; 09-20-2018 at 05:40 AM.

Post Thanks / Like

Default Re: Pixel Spacing vs Number of Strings on Mega Tree?

Oh, and the viewing distance will probably average around 30 feet away from the tree.

Post Thanks / Like

From my testing, the brightness setting does correspond very closely to the amps drawn. I found 15% worked great for me, which was unexpected. Did'nt want to annoy the neighbors too much. So my power budget was way overkill.

Post Thanks / Like

30 feet is pretty close. I would go with 2" myself. If you do 3" you'll wish you did 2". Not something I do but I know people go as many as 200 12v nodes powered from one end. You wouldn't necessarily have to power inject every 100 nodes if you limited the intensity. I have 48x110 360 tree with 2" spacing powered only at the bottom. I run it at 40% but no issues running at 100% intensity white.

Post Thanks / Like

2 inch spacing at 35 ft https://vimeo.com/194117296

Post Thanks / Like

stallionent what is the height of that tree?

Post Thanks / Like

About 10 ft to bottom of the star. Made a few changes but original build is here: http://doityourselfchristmas.com/for...0-ft-Mega-Tree
    Last edited by stallionent; 09-20-2018 at 06:43 PM.