Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: 6 Port E1.31 Bridge Kit

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    Post Thanks / Like

Default 6 Port E1.31 Bridge Kit

I am still trying to get my head straight on this E1.31 to DMX. I did put a display up this past Christmas with a e1.31 bridge with 4 ports. I want to add to my next Christmas display. Looking at this 6 port unit. Can someone tell me if I got this right a port is one universe that can have up to 170 smart pixels or 170 dumb pixel runs. My question is a 6 post unit has 6 universes then, and if so by adding another bridge I will need some kind or switching unit to connect my cat6 to both. If so any suggestions

Thanks
    Tony

Post Thanks / Like

Default Re: 6 Port E1.31 Bridge Kit

You will need to plug the ethernet cable of the 2nd bridge into an ethernet switch or multi-port router on your show network. There is no pass-through on the bridges.

Post Thanks / Like

you can't have smart pixels and dumb lights on the same port without some serious electronics behind the port. smart pixels are data driven. dumb lights are current driven. post a link to this device you are looking at.

Post Thanks / Like

You are way off on your numbers for this bridge... I don't know the exact specs, but I've run over 500 pixels off one output.

Start here; https://www.doityourselfchristmas.co...e=E1.31_Bridge

Post Thanks / Like

Take a look at the E1.31 Bridge setup. You can have up to 12 universes (@512 per universe = 6,144 channels in Unicast mode). All of these can be placed on a single output if you want, or you can assign them in varying amounts to each of the 6 outputs. The outputs can each be set to either Renard or DMX protocol.

Note that you can use a "Pixel Extender" (with the Bridge output set to "Renard" protocol) to output directly to your lights. Otherwise, you feed either a string of "Renard" based controllers (such as SS24s) from a Bridge, or a string of DMX controllers. The DMX controllers can be anything running the DMX protocol. For example, we had 3 dumb controllers in the DMX strings along with some stage lighting devices.

My first year with pixels, I pushed a complete Megatree (16 strings with 50 nodes = 2400 channels) off of one output, 3 different strings of Renard controllers, and a string of DMX devices. All off the one Bridge. (Power Injection was done every other string on the tree.)

We learned a few things during that first year, least of which was even if you can send 2400 channels out one port, you may not want to. (Timing of chips leading to quickness of change within the string, and all of that.) The second year we ran 3 of the ports to that same MegaTree (800 channels each output) and were much happier with the response in the tree. That second year we still ran 2 Renard strings and a string of DMX devices.

The Bridge is still one of the most versatile devices we have in our kit. (We have 8 of them at this time, along with a bucket full of extenders.) Feed the E1.31 from the computer/FPP to the Bridge, then branch out to all kinds of different devices.

Edit - Note that there is a limit on the number of channels you can put on an output set to DMX mode. The 512 channel limit on that output is due to DMX, not the ability of the Bridge. Of course you can always use multiple outputs of the Bridge for different DMX strings.
    Last edited by algerdes; 03-02-2018 at 11:05 AM.
    Live, Laugh, Love.

Post Thanks / Like

Algerdes explained it quite well.
    The only other thing to clarify is how the bridge connects to your network and how to add another.
    A bridge is just that.....a bridge between your show computer and your DMX dimmers and Renard controllers (and pixel extenders if you use them)
    If you only had one then you could just plug it into your show computer and out to the bridge and run your show.
    When you have more than one bridge and maybe a few E1.31 pixel controllers then you will need to add a switch to bring them all together.
    All E1.31 controllers will be wired to the switch and the switch to your computer/PI. You can run multiple switches just by daisy chaining them together (300' limit due to CAT5, but only between switches).
    Phil

Post Thanks / Like

Thanks DrNeutron for the addition.

I forget that some don't know that E1.31 is "DMX over ETHERNET". This means that anything you can do with Ethernet, including connections through multiple switches, can be done with the E1.31 signal. Unfortunately some see the "DMX" part of "DMX over Ethernet" and think they are limited to 512 channels, you are not. I don't know the limit for channels over E1.31. I also know that I have not bumped into that limit, even with the number of devices we have in the field.
    Live, Laugh, Love.

Post Thanks / Like

We really don't know what "Bridge" he is using, could be some cheap one from China that does limit you to 1 universe per output, need a link to the bridge or the spec sheet to be able to know what we are talking about to say whether it can do more than 170 pixels/output.

But in answer to his original question, yes he has to use standard ethernet networking devices to connect everything together.
    Matt

Post Thanks / Like

Good catch. From first post: "... with a e1.31 bridge with 4 ports". Totally missed that one.
    Live, Laugh, Love.

Post Thanks / Like

Thanks algerdes for the info

Maybe if I add some more info of what I have will help
    Running Vixen 3
    Unicast

This is the bridge I have
    http://www.ledlightinghut.com/files/...X%20Bridge.pdf

I am thinking of adding this one
    https://www.doityourselfchristmas.co...e=E1.31_Bridge

from what I have read in this post the one I have is only 4 universes (not sure). I want to get the other one because I think I can do more with it.
    If I got it right I run my E1.31 Ethernet network to a switch then to my old bridge and to the new one that will increase my DMX channels. I then connect to dmx controllers

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast