Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Connecting to Vixen HELP!!!

Post Thanks / Like

Default Re: Connecting to Vixen HELP!!!

You do not want to connect 12v to the Arduino 5v pin. I think it will damage the Arduino. The Arduino is designed to accept 12v only through the black DC power input plug.

Does your MEGA still work?
    Where are you located?
    Kevin

2016 - 184 channels of Blinking/Flashing using 4 Arduino MEGAs and cheap home-made props.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by fabrizio_buon_natale View Post
    Question i have an external power supply coming into the Arduino, can I have foreign power and the USB connected into the Arduino at the same time? I'm using an Arduno Mega.
    From the Arduino site:
    "The Arduino Mega can be powered via the USB connection or with an external power supply. The power source is selected automatically.
    External (non-USB) power can come either from an AC-to-DC adapter (wall-wart) or battery. The adapter can be connected by plugging a 2.1mm center-positive plug into the board's power jack. Leads from a battery can be inserted in the Gnd and Vin pin headers of the POWER connector."

So, it sounds like you'd be ok. Just make sure you don't have an Arduino monitor window open, as I've learned this will interfere with Vixen talking to it.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by kev View Post
    You do not want to connect 12v to the Arduino 5v pin. I think it will damage the Arduino. The Arduino is designed to accept 12v only through the black DC power input plug.

Where are you located?
    1)

So the 12v Into the relay board poweres the relays board > the relay board has a 5v power out pin I️ am using that pin to run power back to the mega VIN port or 5v port for conversation sake.

The question / concerns is. Will make the board catch fire if I️ have the mega receiving power from the relay board and plugged I️nto the USB port on the Pc.

That is two power sources at the same time. I️ read some YouTube videos and people say there is a mechanism that prevents power being pulled from both but I️ canít find the official documentation to support that.

2)
    Yes my Mega still works

3) located in Texas, DFW metroplex.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by bkcoughlin View Post
    From the Arduino site:
    "The Arduino Mega can be powered via the USB connection or with an external power supply. The power source is selected automatically.
    External (non-USB) power can come either from an AC-to-DC adapter (wall-wart) or battery. The adapter can be connected by plugging a 2.1mm center-positive plug into the board's power jack. Leads from a battery can be inserted in the Gnd and Vin pin headers of the POWER connector."

So, it sounds like you'd be ok. Just make sure you don't have an Arduino monitor window open, as I've learned this will interfere with Vixen talking to it.
    Thanks for the suggestions. Yea sucks that the new vixen when open always sends data, that prevents my lights from staying on and such. But I️ was able to get the usb to work. Just need to confirm my last question I️ posted below. Or now above this one ;)

Post Thanks / Like

Where are you located?
    I️ swear in wrote a whole summary but I️ donít see it. Lol the shorter version is is, the relay board inputs 12v > then I️ run power out to Mega via 5v our pin on the relay.

So will it catch fire if I️ have both power sources ďusbĒ and ď5v power in from relayĒ ?

I️ am located in Texas, DFW metroplex.

Post Thanks / Like

Not the DC power input plug but the 5v input pin and the USB connected to the Pc.

Thank you for taking the time to respond. I have everything up and running. Just trying to find out if I need a serial TTL to talk to vixen or I can use the USB with out worrying of catching fire to the arduino.

OK. My mistake. I interpreted what you said that you had 12v connected to the 5v in pin. If the relay board is giving you 5v and that is what you have connected to the MEGA 5v in, then you are OK.

Yes, just use the USB cable. You do not need a TTL adapter.
    Kevin

2016 - 184 channels of Blinking/Flashing using 4 Arduino MEGAs and cheap home-made props.

Post Thanks / Like

OK. My mistake. I interpreted what you said that you had 12v connected to the 5v in pin. If the relay board is giving you 5v and that is what you have connected to the MEGA 5v in, then you are OK.

Yes, just use the USB cable. You do not need a TTL adapter.
    So the mega can support both usb power in and 5v power in without causing issues? Thatís great and Iím still learning about the arduinoís. How cofident do you feel it wonít cause any overheating or fires lol? 100% ?

Post Thanks / Like

So the mega can support both usb power in and 5v power in without causing issues? That’s great and I’m still learning about the arduino’s. How cofident do you feel it won’t cause any overheating or fires lol? 100% ?

Yes, the MEGA R3 supports two different power sources connected at the same time. If you look at the schematic, you will find that there is a MOSFET that switches between whichever 5V source is higher. If you connect a 12v supply to the DC in jack, the board uses a 5v regulator to reduce the voltage to 5v. Last year I had 4 MEGAs with each connected to it's own 12v supply on the DC in jack AND communicating over the USB port.

Although you never know what could go wrong, I feel 99.99999% confident that your system will not catch fire due to the two power sources connected to the MEGA.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by kev; Yesterday at 12:47 PM.
    Kevin

Post Thanks / Like

Yes, the MEGA R3 supports two different power sources connected at the same time. If you look at the schematic, you will find that there is a MOSFET that switches between whichever 5V source is higher. If you connect a 12v supply to the DC in jack, the board uses a 5v regulator to reduce the voltage to 5v. Last year I had 4 MEGAs with each connected to it's own 12v supply on the DC in jack AND communicating over the USB port.

Although you never know what could go wrong, I feel 99.99999% confident that your system will not catch fire due to the two power sources connected to the MEGA.

Fantastico! You sold me on it lol. Thank you very much for the quick replies. Hopefully I️ can engage you in the future like next year when I️ try to figure out how to incorporate rgb lights!

Post Thanks / Like

Fantastico! You sold me on it lol. Thank you very much for the quick replies. Hopefully I️ can engage you in the future like next year when I️ try to figure out how to incorporate rgb lights!

Happy to help where I can. Enjoy...
    Kevin

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12