Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: 1st Mega Tree

Post Thanks / Like

Default Re: 1st Mega Tree

Overall power is not a big issue. Its current you worry about. 5v pixels use more current than 12v pixels. 60ma for 5v and 45ma for 12v. That means you can run MORE pixels off of the same gauge power wire with 12v pixels than you can with 5v pixels. Pixels are wired with fairly small gauge wire 18ga for good stuff, 20ga for cheap junk. Small diameter wire handles less current (totally independent of voltage). Wire has resistance. Its basically a giant resistor. Resistors drop voltage across them. The more current the more voltage they drop. So given the same wire gauge, if you run less current, you get less voltage drop across the wire. This results in further distances needed to power inject.

Typically the general recommendation is to supply power for 5v for 50px and 100px for 12v. My 24 strand by 60 tree is broken up into 3 segments, each 8 strands. I only supply 1 data line and 2 power lines into each section. I can do that because its 12v. I would need more injection points if it were 5v.

Have a read here:
    http://www.wolfiesden.com/diylightin...injection-101/

I show how I lay out each group of 8 strands. You could run your tree as 2 groups like that. Two power supplies and a total of 4 power injection points. Pretty easy wiring. And 2 ports off the F16. That leaves you 14 more ports for future projects

2. Likes goverland liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Lots of great information.. and lots of opinions

I did my first mega tree last year... 10' tall, 160deg, 16 strangs, 50px per, Boscoyo straps.. etc

I went with a sandevice E682 because i'm cheap (1/2 the cost of the falcon if you solder it yourself). If buying pre-built was the only option i probably would have gone for the F16v2 (or now the F16v3).

As for software.. I used both Vixen 3 and xLights. Some sequences i thought Vixen did a better job and for others i liked xLights. My advice is to make sure you use a Raspberry Pi and FPP to play your sequences, then you can use any sequencer you like

4. Likes Stormyblade liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Also, consider using square pixels instead of bullets. Some folks find they are easier to use with the pixel strips.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by TheLost View Post

I did my first mega tree last year... 10' tall, 160deg, 16 strangs, 50px per, Boscoyo straps.. etc

I went with a sandevice E682 because i'm cheap (1/2 the cost of the falcon if you solder it yourself). If buying pre-built was the only option i probably would have gone for the F16v2 (or now the F16v3).

As for software.. I used both Vixen 3 and xLights. Some sequences i thought Vixen did a better job and for others i liked xLights. My advice is to make sure you use a Raspberry Pi and FPP to play your sequences, then you can use any sequencer you like
    I know within a sequence it has to be either vixen or xlights, but do all your sequences within your show have to be one or the other if you are using a pi as your player? For example, majority of my sequences utilize the lip sync function which I have gotten proficient in in vixen but am totally lost in xlights...however I purchased a mega tree kit from holiday coro and there is one "store bought" sequence I would like to use (which is in xlights).

Sent from my SM-N910P using Tapatalk

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by TheLost View Post

After a couple years of not being able to put up a mega tree, this is pretty much how I want to do mine. Except, I am planning on doing 24 strings, full 360, 12V 50 pixel strings, using a single E682. I've tried Vixen 3 so I know it, at least a little, and want to figure out if that's the way to go or with xLights.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by marymc30 View Post
    I know within a sequence it has to be either vixen or xlights, but do all your sequences within your show have to be one or the other if you are using a pi as your player? For example, majority of my sequences utilize the lip sync function which I have gotten proficient in in vixen but am totally lost in xlights...however I purchased a mega tree kit from holiday coro and there is one "store bought" sequence I would like to use (which is in xlights).

Sent from my SM-N910P using Tapatalk
    Absolutely not. We use both xLights and Vixen 3 for sequencing. One contributor is an xLights fanatic. The other loves Vixen. I use both.
    "Never Give Up. Never Surrender!"
    Capt Tagert - Galaxy Quest.
    Al Gerdes - Christmas Lighting Nut!

Post Thanks / Like

So long as the software can produce a .fseq, the falcon player can play it.

Xlights can convert several sequences to fseq so you can even use other software/sequences. This is not always seamless but the xlights developers just fixed some things in a recent release so is still a supported option.

Post Thanks / Like

Thank you! I havent gotten the pi yet, that is next on list. I didn't want to waste time sequencing in either vixen or x lights if I had to choose one. I like them both. I am just finding there are things in each it is harder for me to get a handle on (lip sync in xlights and complex pixel design in vixen)

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12