PDA

View Full Version : Plastic/Fibreglass Jack-o-Lanterns

Grant
10-22-2007, 08:30 AM
Hi,

I'd like to put on a Halloween display (may not make it this year....) and would like to put a few Jack-o-lanterns about the yard. However, I don't have the time to carve them. Furthermore, being in Australia, it's not that easy to locate suitably large carving stock.

I was wondering if it's possible to get realistic, life-size jack-o-lanterns made with plastic/fibreglass etc? I've done a few Internet searches but haven't been able to come up with any suppliers. I've seen lots of small, almost cartoonish lanterns, but I'm only interested in 'realistic', full size reproductions.

Does anyone know of any suppliers?

Thanks in advance,

-Grant

cmurray
10-22-2007, 08:52 AM
Wrong material,
Try foam or Styrofoam.
http://www.yankeehalloween.com/funkins.html

Just one site.
Try your craft or home decor stores for season closeouts.

Joel

Macrosill
10-22-2007, 09:27 AM
Check the art supply stores. Around here there is Michaels and AC Moore, they both carry lifelike pumpkins that are perfect for carving. I have a few of them from last year.

http://www.michaels.com/art/online/displayProductPage?productNum=fl0580

biffklg
10-22-2007, 10:35 PM
I used a few from michaels last year as well. They are durable but yet fairly easy to carve. I didn't try to do any "skinning" to try and make different tones, but I would imagine a dremmel would do the trick.

wjohn
10-22-2007, 11:37 PM
Hi,

I'd like to put on a Halloween display (may not make it this year....) and would like to put a few Jack-o-lanterns about the yard. However, I don't have the time to carve them. Furthermore, being in Australia, it's not that easy to locate suitably large carving stock.

Does anyone know of any suppliers?

Thanks in advance,

-Grant

Hi Grant,

I bought stryofoam Pumpkins from Lombards in Melbourne. They were around 8$ each, and came with a tri color LED flasher built in. I removed the LEDs and put in my own LED RED light. There are about 20 cm in diameter.

PM and I'll send you more details. or If I get busy, I'll take a photo.

Grant
10-26-2007, 06:48 AM
Thanks for the info guys!

The michaels Pumpkins look great, but unfortunately I'm in Australia and they don't sell online :-(

I'll keep looking for a local supplier, but I don't like my luck given Halloween isn't anywhere near as big here as it is in the US.

Cheers,

Grant