PDA

View Full Version : New effect needed - mirror or flip - is it possible

smartalec
10-18-2013, 06:57 PM
hey guys,
when you select a section in your sequence,
would it be possible to do the mirror or flip effect applied on that hi-lighted section??

they were realy great tools (vixen2)

keep up the great work

DanielSkeen
10-18-2013, 08:44 PM
I'll second that.

jeffu231
10-19-2013, 11:32 AM
The notion of reverse or mirror is different for each effect, so it is not easily applied across the board. You can copy and paste the intended effect and then just edit it to be the reverse. i.e. spin change to spin in reverse, wipe is opposite direction, pulse reverse the curve, etc. That way all the other settings are still the same and it is the same length.

Jeff

smartalec
10-20-2013, 01:10 AM
jeffu
its for when your doing your own effects
so i would be wanting to flip or reverse normal pulse channels,
its just a PITA going to vixen 2 all the time to build the effects (mirror,flip, whatever) an then exporting that section into my main vixen3 sequence

jeffu231
10-21-2013, 07:44 AM
I guess I am not understanding what you are trying to do. You can save your own curves in the pulses that are defined which ever way you want. So draw the curve in reverse and save it. You now have a ramp down you can use by selecting it from the library. You can shape the pulse in any number of ways.

Give me a more specific example for what you are trying to do and I'll see if there is an easier way. I am not following why you would need to keep exporting from V2 for mirroring pulses.

Jeff

smartalec
10-22-2013, 02:00 AM
well it comes back to the waveform plugin in v2
i like to flip the meter display upside down, for some parts..
eg stick 1 has 28 channels = VU meter waveform effect
stick 2 has 28 channels but i want them upside down..
simple on vixen 2..

with vixen3 you have gotten rid of the basic building blocks for building a effect the way you want.. like you once had in vixen2
vixen3 is great with its effects, but its lacking the ability to build your own effect (known as a routine in vix2)

I guess i still like manually making my own effects

jeffu231
10-22-2013, 07:14 AM
I would not say we have got rid of, it just has not been implemented yet. Now that I understand what you are after, let me see if I can come up with something to do what you are after.

[Edit]

I will add a bit more to this. In this situation you are still working at a very low level, so I suspect you have a lot of Set Level effects in what you are doing. In this case reverse or flip is probably just a reordering of the effects. Pretty simple and probably gets what you want. It is very much like the blocks you are used to in V2. But what if there is a pulse or two in there that ramp up in the middle of the set level effects? Flipping those top to bottom across the rows is probably still just reordering them and gets you what you want. But what about mirror? Mirroring the order of the effects may not get you what you thought you wanted, because the pulse is still a ramp up in the in the reorder scheme. This only gets more complicated with the other effects. I'll look and see, but I think I could do flip fairly easy as a simple row reverse of the selected effects.

So some of the things you did in V2 may not translate well. V3 is a different model as is geared toward working at a higher level. The ideal thing with your equalizer is someone would write an effect that does that. So then you could just drop the effect on the section you want to do it on. The effect itself could then implement flip. The capability is there to build it. So as that is not available right now, you may need to think about how much the new features of V3 are you using? If you are doing the majority of your show at the individual set level/custom block level and not utilizing the built in effects in V3, it might make sense to stay with V2 until effects come along to do what you are after.

I hope that explanation helps.

Jeff

smartalec
10-23-2013, 06:24 AM
cool thanks for the fast reply,
yer most are pulse an ramps (for my custom effects) that im wanting to the the mirror/flip too..
i fully understand what you mean about flipping the v3 big effects..

is there any plan for people to design there own effects with pulse an ramps,
an then use them as custom effects?
or im i dreaming too much.

I would not say we have got rid of, it just has not been implemented yet. Now that I understand what you are after, let me see if I can come up with something to do what you are after.

[Edit]

I will add a bit more to this. In this situation you are still working at a very low level, so I suspect you have a lot of Set Level effects in what you are doing. In this case reverse or flip is probably just a reordering of the effects. Pretty simple and probably gets what you want. It is very much like the blocks you are used to in V2. But what if there is a pulse or two in there that ramp up in the middle of the set level effects? Flipping those top to bottom across the rows is probably still just reordering them and gets you what you want. But what about mirror? Mirroring the order of the effects may not get you what you thought you wanted, because the pulse is still a ramp up in the in the reorder scheme. This only gets more complicated with the other effects. I'll look and see, but I think I could do flip fairly easy as a simple row reverse of the selected effects.

So some of the things you did in V2 may not translate well. V3 is a different model as is geared toward working at a higher level. The ideal thing with your equalizer is someone would write an effect that does that. So then you could just drop the effect on the section you want to do it on. The effect itself could then implement flip. The capability is there to build it. So as that is not available right now, you may need to think about how much the new features of V3 are you using? If you are doing the majority of your show at the individual set level/custom block level and not utilizing the built in effects in V3, it might make sense to stay with V2 until effects come along to do what you are after.

I hope that explanation helps.

Jeff