PDA

View Full Version : Keyboard & Other Usability Suggestions

Materdaddy
08-30-2012, 12:51 AM
Joe, I have some suggestions that I know would help me, but I'm not sure if they'd help others so I'll throw them out there for you.

When an effect is selected from clicking on the right-most cell, can the delete button be made to remove this effect? Sometimes I have drawn things using the custom effects "random" and not been happy with the percentage of coverage I've chosen. If I am not happy with it immediately the undo button works great, but otherwise, I may be doing a heck of a lot of right-clicking and selecting "Delete This Effect".

Similarly, when selecting a group, in addition to the "Move Resize Group" option, can it be possible to have "Delete group"? Maybe if the delete button works when selected, this doesn't need a change because the items will be grouped and selected, everything would be deleted.

This one I'm sure you have reasons for, but can "standard" keyboard shortcuts be used? Some already have uses, which is why this one is not likely to change, but ctrl+c for copy, ctrl+v for paste is common. You have ctrl+p for paste, and ctrl+v for mirror vertical. Maybe change mirror vertical to ctrl+m and paste can use the normal shortcut? Maybe people are already used to the non-standard keyboard shortcut and I should just get used to it in HLS too.

When doing a flip or mirror of a group the group selection is lost after the action. Can this retain the selection? For example, I grab a handful of effects, move them to a "free" area of the sequence to flip/stretch/etc., but I cannot do a mirror and flip without re-selecting the group. Not a big deal, just one of those "might be nice" things for me. To de-select, the same ESC keyboard shortcut would be used.

Flips/Mirrors are not in the context menu. I'm used to applications having most (if not all) relevant actions/modifiers to be presented when right clicking for a context menu.

Currently scroll moves up/down through channels. Can scroll modifiers be added? For example, if the user is holding "ctrl", some applications zoom. How about ctrl+scroll changes between "Fine Grid/Medium Grid/Normal Grid", and shift+scroll moves along the time scale (same as page-up/page-down currently).

Thanks for a great tool, always being open to feedback and feel free to shoot down my ideas if you don't think they add anything.

angus40
08-30-2012, 05:11 AM
the delete key will delete everything in the selection box.

JHinkle
08-30-2012, 05:46 AM
I'm traveling so I have time to ponder your requests.

As Agnus stated - anything in a selection box is deleted with the DEL key - even partially selected effects.

Joe

Materdaddy
08-30-2012, 10:41 AM
the delete key will delete everything in the selection box.

I swear I tried that before and it didn't work... but I just did again and it did. Thanks! Scratch that one off.

kingofkya
08-30-2012, 12:01 PM
Yeah the ctrl-v thing gets a bit annoying. As I am quite used to cut copy and past being on the left side of the keyboard XCV.

Materdaddy
08-31-2012, 12:40 AM
This one I'm sure you have reasons for, but can "standard" keyboard shortcuts be used? Some already have uses, which is why this one is not likely to change, but ctrl+c for copy, ctrl+v for paste is common. You have ctrl+p for paste, and ctrl+v for mirror vertical. Maybe change mirror vertical to ctrl+m and paste can use the normal shortcut? Maybe people are already used to the non-standard keyboard shortcut and I should just get used to it in HLS too.

I'd like to add "ctrl+s" for save and "ctrl+o" for open to the wishlist as other "standard" keyboard shortcuts.

JHinkle
09-01-2012, 08:06 AM
I first added Vertical Mirror before copy/paste - that is why Ctrl V went to Vertical Mirror.

Version 5B

Ctrl V is now Paste
Ctrl M is now Vertical Mirror
Ctrl S now is SAVE as long as Grid, Channel Name Panel, or main Menu has focus

Ctrl Mouse Scroll Wheel now moves between Fine, Medium, and Normal
Shift Mouse Scroll Wheel now moves time line as would Page UP/DOWN

Mirror Operations - Vertical and Horizontal, no longer removes the selection box but keeps you in that mode of operation. If you don't perform an action that removes the selection box, after a Mirror operation, you will need to cancel the operation with the ESC key.

Materdaddy
09-01-2012, 11:03 AM
Awesome. Thank you, thank you, thank you!

I think the only one suggested not there is ctrl+o for open.

Speaking of opening files, in some of your demo videos, I saw file menu options that looked to be a list of sequences. I know some Windows programs have a "recent documents" section, is that a new feature you're working on? Or have you simple enabled some shortcuts for you while debugging?

Materdaddy
09-01-2012, 12:38 PM
Ah, I just noticed that when side-scrolling in 6B (using either shift+scroll, or the actual scroll bar) the time values don't update until you click to make a mark. Also, page-up/page-down don't appear to be working. I try clicking in the sequence data window to bring focus, but it still doesn't move.

JHinkle
09-01-2012, 01:41 PM
Ah, I just noticed that when side-scrolling in 6B (using either shift+scroll, or the actual scroll bar) the time values don't update until you click to make a mark. Also, page-up/page-down don't appear to be working. I try clicking in the sequence data window to bring focus, but it still doesn't move.

Works fine here ... don't know what you are doing.

Time PAGE UP/DOWN only worked with a Selection Box - now works all the time --- 6C.

Page operations and scroll operations move time scale --- so again - I can not duplicate what you are saying.

Joe

JHinkle
09-01-2012, 01:44 PM
Awesome. Thank you, thank you, thank you!

I think the only one suggested not there is ctrl+o for open.

Speaking of opening files, in some of your demo videos, I saw file menu options that looked to be a list of sequences. I know some Windows programs have a "recent documents" section, is that a new feature you're working on? Or have you simple enabled some shortcuts for you while debugging?

CTRL O does not make sense since I require you to Close and restart HLS - so that request will not be implemented.

Originally I had "Recents" enabled on the File menu - I did not like it since it showed ALL file opened - not just HLS files - so I removed.

Joe

Materdaddy
09-01-2012, 09:09 PM
CTRL O does not make sense since I require you to Close and restart HLS - so that request will not be implemented.

No problem. I have been doing a lot of opening recently because of channel changes and having to restart HLS a lot, but you're right that in most situations, this won't be necessary.

Originally I had "Recents" enabled on the File menu - I did not like it since it showed ALL file opened - not just HLS files - so I removed.

Ah, interesting. I didn't play with HLS much until recently so I didn't see when this feature was there and that it added all documents, not just HLS files.