Thread: Looking for thoughts on shrubs

Post Thanks / Like

Default Re: Looking for thoughts on shrubs

Quote Originally Posted by deonb View Post
    THanks for the link Deonb....

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Santacarl View Post
    Thanks for posting the pix..... I was trying to visualize what it would look like but didn't come very close once I look at an actual picture.....

Just curious....it looks like you built some sort of wire support cage.... What did you use to construct it? Does it come apart for storage?
    I used 12 ga Hanger Wire to create some splines in the mesh and give it a bit of rigidity when not supported by the bush. These splines are easily secured to the mesh by running them through the middle of a row and zip-tying them to the mesh. On the bush needing the most support, two wires are tied together every 12" or so. Several bushes have no wires in their mesh.

I had to do this because several of my bushes are not as big as I would like yet. Jan of 2016 I cut my shrubs way back and then was left with the question of whether to make covers to fit the existing bushes for 2016 or to make covers the size I wanted and then eventually trim the bush to them for subsequent years.

The best example of this is the boxwood in the middle. It was cut down to about 18"x18"x18" and hadn't yet grown out to fill out the mesh.

For the bushes that were the right size ( the one on the right), the wires were not needed. When installed the wires do not collapse easily at all, since they're not supposed to. I'm currently storing them uncollapsed nested inside each other. Once the bushes are the right size I could cut some of the connecting zip ties and collapse them down to a flat mesh but I don't know that they would ever roll up really well because they're a 3d shape unlike a flat matrix. You would ahve to wire it so that the top and sides were only connected at the front and not on the sides for it to come apart like a baseball skin etc.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Verrous View Post
    I used 12 ga Hanger Wire to create some splines in the mesh and give it a bit of rigidity when not supported by the bush. These splines are easily secured to the mesh by running them through the middle of a row and zip-tying them to the mesh. On the bush needing the most support, two wires are tied together every 12" or so. Several bushes have no wires in their mesh.

I had to do this because several of my bushes are not as big as I would like yet. Jan of 2016 I cut my shrubs way back and then was left with the question of whether to make covers to fit the existing bushes for 2016 or to make covers the size I wanted and then eventually trim the bush to them for subsequent years.

The best example of this is the boxwood in the middle. It was cut down to about 18"x18"x18" and hadn't yet grown out to fill out the mesh.

For the bushes that were the right size ( the one on the right), the wires were not needed. When installed the wires do not collapse easily at all, since they're not supposed to. I'm currently storing them uncollapsed nested inside each other. Once the bushes are the right size I could cut some of the connecting zip ties and collapse them down to a flat mesh but I don't know that they would ever roll up really well because they're a 3d shape unlike a flat matrix. You would ahve to wire it so that the top and sides were only connected at the front and not on the sides for it to come apart like a baseball skin etc.
    Ahhh....got it.... Thanks for the response....

I have one bush that I just planted and had to create a framework around it this year to support the C6's I'm currently using..... So your explanation made perfect sense..... Wish I had a Home Depot near to get that hanger wire.....

Post Thanks / Like

How many pixels are you running per bush?

Post Thanks / Like

I put HolidayCoro Brilliant Bulbs on all my bushes. Video isn't the best, and you can see I had the two bushesin the middle mapped wrong when it was made, but I just love the effect around 150 seconds into this video.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tXiDZqdv2gg&t=150s

The bushes are the far left were too small, so I built a frame in front, but for the bushes on the far right, did a very simple pattner of 11 bulbs down, then 11 bulbs up. The spacing isn't perfect, but honstly I think it looks good. The round bushes the bulbs just wrap around the bush and I created a custom model. (By hand, and screwing it up when the video was taken....) :-)
    Last edited by ghormann; 06-17-2017 at 10:34 AM.
    Greg Hormann (Link to Display)

Share your display today at http://cooldisplays.net

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by ghormann View Post
    I put HolidayCoro Brilliant Bulbs on all my bushes. Video isn't the best, and you can see I had the two bushesin the middle mapped wrong when it was made, but I just love the effect around 150 seconds into this video.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tXiDZqdv2gg&t=150s

The bushes are the far left were too small, so I built a frame in front, but for the bushes on the far right, did a very simple pattner of 11 bulbs down, then 11 bulbs up. The spacing isn't perfect, but honstly I think it looks good. The round bushes the bulbs just wrap around the bush and I created a custom model. (By hand, and screwing it up when the video was taken....) :-)
    As hard as it might be to believe I never even considered mapping to apply effects to......I was simply thinking about on/off for my shrubs....Now you went and did it and put THAT in my head too!

Just curious how you mapped them....is it a simple matrix (albeit a small one) and you just wrap around the bush....or is it something a little more elaborate?

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Santacarl View Post
    As hard as it might be to believe I never even considered mapping to apply effects to......I was simply thinking about on/off for my shrubs....Now you went and did it and put THAT in my head too!

Just curious how you mapped them....is it a simple matrix (albeit a small one) and you just wrap around the bush....or is it something a little more elaborate?
    Most of the bushes are just standard matrix. Only the two on each side of the door are custom models. You can see the models I used at https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets...it?usp=sharing

Post Thanks / Like

Most of the bushes are just standard matrix. Only the two on each side of the door are custom models. You can see the models I used at https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets...it?usp=sharing
    Thanks Greg....I'm afraid I haven't gotten into custom models/spread sheets....so I'm not sure how you go about putting all the pieces together to end up with a final model.... as in how you take a spreadsheet and get that into the software...

Is there a reason other than the fact that I saw them designated as round.....that you did a custom model for those 2 beside the door? Does it make them look better or sequence easier? Looks like some sort of zig zag internal that would save having to do it with a controller?

Post Thanks / Like

Here is a video on how to do custom models in xLights (designing with Google Docs). It isn't difficult. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5wpe6A__Wkc

As to why custom models? The main reason is that I wanted whole house affects to look good. (Same effort to sequence in xLights.) For whole house (and really even for single models but can be less obvious), xLights needs to know the relative position of pixels to each other across models.. Most of the bushes looked like rectangles, so using a generic "grid model" was fine. As shown in my custom model, the two bushes have less pixels across the top rows than than rows at the bottom. xLights doesn't have a predefined model for this, so i created a custom model that attempts to match the number of bulbs per row in real life.

Post Thanks / Like

Here is a video on how to do custom models in xLights (designing with Google Docs). It isn't difficult. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5wpe6A__Wkc

As to why custom models? The main reason is that I wanted whole house affects to look good. (Same effort to sequence in xLights.) For whole house (and really even for single models but can be less obvious), xLights needs to know the relative position of pixels to each other across models.. Most of the bushes looked like rectangles, so using a generic "grid model" was fine. As shown in my custom model, the two bushes have less pixels across the top rows than than rows at the bottom. xLights doesn't have a predefined model for this, so i created a custom model that attempts to match the number of bulbs per row in real life.
    Ahhh....less across the top...now IC.... thanks for the link

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12