Page 3 of 47 FirstFirst 1234513 ... LastLast

Thread: Glow with *OUR* Show and MSP430G2553 discussion

Post Thanks / Like

Default Re: Glow with *OUR* Show and MSP430G2553 discussion

Quote Originally Posted by rjchu View Post
    I'd be interested in this. The link you included is for a GPS logger (yours, which is very cool by the way). Would an IR logger just be an adaptation of this I assume?
    Thanks. Yes, IR receiver will be installed instead of GPS module. I will let you know when I have one ready.

Post Thanks / Like

Checkout this video, it was right on the tear down page. Read comments under the video, all information is right there. How did I miss that?

However, it would be nice if we could get the code out of the MCU, so that we could figure out the entire set of commands.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Sy9T-JvLu5g
    Last edited by RobG; 01-31-2013 at 10:30 AM.

Post Thanks / Like

Good find Rob. I'm the same rjchu that asked Jon for more information in the comments there. I'd assumed I'd get a notification if he ever replied but apparently not as I never got anything indicating he'd replied two weeks ago! Time to play a bit. Now I wish I'd brought my hat and IR dongle with me so I could tinker while on conference calls!

Thanks for sharing,

-joni-

Quote Originally Posted by RobG View Post
    Checkout this video, it was right on the tear down page. Read comments under the video, all information is right there. How did I miss that?

However, it would be nice if we could get the code out of the MCU, so that we could figure out the entire set of commands.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Sy9T-JvLu5g
    2015 Plans: More pixels, add more Komby radios, and weld new props!
    [URL="http://amistosolights.com"]http://amistosolights.com[/URL]

Post Thanks / Like

I've seen that but all it tells you is that it received IR.

I'm trying to find the post someone did but they found the data stream was based on 2400 baud, 8 bit 1 stop no parity, IrDA formatted data stream.

Update, darn if it wasn't that same post but down in the comments.

Jon Fether wrote:

"I have done some analysis on this. The protocol is a UART/IRDA SIR 2400 baud (Analyzed with a Salae Logic logic analyzer). There's a basic framing that consists of a two different types of basic message, system and show. (System messages start with 0x55, like "55 AA 16 01 01 02 0E 05 2D", Show messages start with 0x9X where X is a length nibble such as "96 42 00 00 BE 11 E6"). Each message contains a header byte at the beginning and checksum at the end. I hope to do a good writeup someday."

Also

"I'm sorry I didn't get back to you before Christmas. I'll give you some quick basics right now:
    90 60 A6 - Off
    90 61 F8 - Blue
    90 62 1A - Green
    90 63 44 - Cyan (Blue+Green)
    90 64 C7 - Red
    90 65 99 - Magenta (Red+Blue)
    90 66 7B - Yellow
    90 67 25 - White
    These codes when transmitted set both ears to the same color. They're the bare minimum. I brute-forced the checksums to make them work, none of these occur at the park. Will continue in another comment."

And also

"90 68 64 90 69 3A 90 6A D8 90 6B 86 90 6C 05 90 6D 5B 90 6E B9 90 6F E7 These codes set the same colors but only for the right ear. By combining them you can set both ears to arbitrary colors, such as setting: 90 65 99 then 90 6E B9 Will set both ears magenta then the right ear yellow, which means effectively "Left Ear Magenta, Right Ear Yellow". There is actually a more sophisticated way to do things, perhaps one more post.
    "

Now that I found that again I'm going to see if I can figure out the checksum.
    Last edited by timon; 01-31-2013 at 11:33 AM.

5. Likes elin05 liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by rjchu View Post
    Good find Rob. I'm the same rjchu that asked Jon for more information in the comments there. I'd assumed I'd get a notification if he ever replied but apparently not as I never got anything indicating he'd replied two weeks ago! Time to play a bit. Now I wish I'd brought my hat and IR dongle with me so I could tinker while on conference calls!

Thanks for sharing,

-joni-
    I'm telling!!!!

...kidding of course...
    [url]http://christmasonquiethills.com/[/url]
    [url]http://diychristmas.org/vb1/index.php[/url]

Post Thanks / Like

Why don't you send him a private message on YouTube and invite him to DIYC. I think it would be beneficial fpr both him and us.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by timon View Post
    Now that I found that again I'm going to see if I can figure out the checksum.
    I bet it's part of the IrPHY layer. It might even be described in the TI manual. I would guess talking serially to an IrDA device might generate it. I'll start looking too, but not tonight.

Post Thanks / Like

I believe the IrDA is a 16 bit CRC and the ears look like they are using 8 bits.

Post Thanks / Like

Maybe this will help.
    Also, oPossum has a nice CRC implementation, see here and here
    Last edited by RobG; 01-31-2013 at 11:58 PM.

Post Thanks / Like

An amazing amount of stuff to learn. I love it. In college we touched on lots of this, but it was so light weight compared to real implementations.

I think I project how I would make the ears work and assume they leveraged the built-in features of the MSP430 and would not reinvent CRC. That chip can do a lot of different things and a new CRC would not be a stretch at all. At the risk of sounding like I am disagreeing with you when I am not, what leads to an 8 bit CRC?

Is anyone successfully sending the Jon Fether identified codes to the ears? Are you bit banging or transmitting IR signals?

I have been spending time on getting IrDA working on PC and laptop and reading the MSP430 manual. So many things to learn all at once.

Page 3 of 47 FirstFirst 1234513 ... LastLast