Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Vixen 3.0 New E1.31 Output Module

Post Thanks / Like

Default Vixen 3.0 New E1.31 Output Module

Now there are two ...

Attached below is a zip file containing a new Vixen 3 E1.31 Output Module v1.0.0.0

This is not related to any other E1.31 Output Module project that may be going on independently.

This is based on our existing E1.31 Plugin for Vixen 2.1 that is being used by 100s (1000s?) around the world.

The file contains E131OutputModule.dll which you should move/save into the Modules\Output directory in your Vixen3 directory tree. That's it. Now it should be available on the list of installed modules and available under the Add Output Controller function like any other output module.

The module supports PolyChrome and MonoChrome command sets with hooks in place for Animation in a future release. I didn't see any properties/editors for animatronics but saw the animation command space defined.

The module currently requires you to set the universe start slot and number of slots for universe outputs. The user much match the start slot and slots to the total amount of data it expects to receive from the sequencer for each controller. We had to do it this way to allow for multiple universe output. We may add the option for it to autosize the universes based the number of outputs as defined in Vixen3 if and only if there is a single universe for output. We have used the multi-universe output for many different features over the last two years with our existing plugin and don't want to give up the flexibility it allows. We understand that flexibility adds complexity. We may add a simple vs advanced setup form that simplifies the setup for common use.

The module can run in one of two modes.

In normal mode each output maps into a slot buffer on a 1-to-1 basis. This allows for a mix of monochrome and polychrome commands. A monochrome command will work on a single slot. A polychrome command will work on that slot plus the next 2.

In RGB mode each output maps into a slot buffer on a 1-to-3 basis. It will currently only respond to polychrome commands. The polychrome command will work on slots 1-3 for output 1, slots 4-6 for output 2, ...

-----------------------

In the examples below all naming is for demonstration/notation purpose. You can name/rename them as you wish. When working with an all RGB we put RGB in the front. When working with a Mono mix we call it Mono and add RGB as a suffix ONLY on the RGB channels.

-----------------------

In RGB mode you can create a controller with the following:

Name: RGB E131
    Outputs: 8

Active: CHECKED
    Universe: 101
    Start Slot: 1
    Slots: 24
    Interface: Multicast or Unicast
    TTL: 1

Assume Each Output Is RGB ...: CHECKED

Then have Vixen create channels to match:

RGB E131-1
    RGB E131-2
    RGB E131-8

Then go into EACH channel and add an RGB property.

Then design your sequence with color and run it ..... That's It.

-------------------

In Normal mode you can create a controller with the following:

Name: Mono E131
    Outputs: 48

Universe: 102
    Start Slot: 1

Universe: 103
    Start Slot: 25

Assume Each Output Is RGB ...: NOT Checked

Then have Vixen create channels to match (optional):

Mono E131-1
    Mono E131-2
    Mono E131-48

Then, for example, add new channels for RGB on the first universe. Each channel should include an RGB property and should be patched to the matching starting output on the output controller:

Mono E131-1-RGB, Mono E131[1], RGB
    Mono E131-4-RGB, Mono E131[4], RGB
    Mono E131-7-RGB, Mono E131[7], RGB
    Mono E131-10-RGB, Mono E131[10], RGB
    Mono E131-13-RGB, Mono E131[13], RGB
    Mono-E131-16-RGB, Mono E131[16], RGB
    Mono-E131-19-RGB, Mono E131[19], RGB
    Mono-E131-22-RGB, Mono E131[22], RGB

Note that each pixel starts on 1,4,7,10,13,16,19,22 respectively.

Then design your sequence. You can use color on 'Mono E131-xx-RGB' and mono on 'Mono E131-xx' (if you created them) as you wish. I'm not sure what precedence Vixen will apply. Whatever commands they resolve to and send to the controller will be processed in the order sent, both MonoChrome and PolyChrome. We have tested it with color settings followed by individual mono overrides to change the color and they have all worked as expected.

-----------------

There is much more to it. There is a statistics screen and message log to help you/us to track what is going on inside of the module. Play with it for now, kick the tires, and I will try to get a tutorial video soon. If you are unfamiliar with our previous E1.31 plugin you might look at its tutorial video to get a foundation to go forward from. Previous users should find it easy to implement.

Well that's it. Nobody else has seen it or tested it. So YMMV, IMHO, use with caution, don't expect perfection, and all the usual disclaimers. This is v1.0.0.0 and as our understanding of Vixen 3 matures and Vixen 3 matures we expect to make many changes. Some changes may destroy any previous configuration changes and require you to re-enter your output controller configuration for THIS module.

Many thanx to K.C. and the Vixen team for Vixen 3. It has come a long way and has a great future.

MANY, MANY, MANY thanx to ctmal for his tutorial series on writing output modules for Vixen 3. It gave me much insight into the hooks and architecture that saved much development time.

-Ed
    Attached Files Attached Files

Post Thanks / Like

Default Re: Vixen 3.0 New E1.31 Output Module

Thanks Ed! I know what I'm going to be doing this weekend now!
    Brian

Christmas in San Jose! - WEB - FB - VIDEOS
    Halloween in San Jose! - FB
    2014 Halloween Show - Homemade tombstones, Grave Crawler, 2x 3-axis skulls, 4x 1-axis skulls, Video Projection (more)
    2014 Christmas Show - 5x E681-12, 3x Ren48LSD, 32x42 TLS3001 pixel MT/Star, 4x Rainbow Floods, 12x DIYC Floods, SuperPixelStar, PixaBulb House outline

Ignorance is Temporary - Stupidity is Forever...

Post Thanks / Like

Wow, I think I burned out a few brain cells trying following that description!! This looks great- guess I now need to build my E68x's and cut up some GECE strings...
    [I][SIZE=2]"Beam me up Scotty, there are only limited pockets of intelligent life on this planet!!"[/SIZE][/I]
    Communicating humor in a text only medium is an art form subject to imprecise interpretation by the audience...

Post Thanks / Like

Ok, that was fast ....

I received several PMs about a problem. There are several different output modules that I looked at and I overlooked a 'rule'. But upon review, some of them followed one 'rule' some another.

Vixen3 sends the output module a set of commands. If there is nothing to do the command is null. It seemed logical that if there was no command, then there was nothing to do.

However, the current implementation apparently calls for the output module to consider a null command to be a set to level 0 (or color black). I was not doing that. This will cause the module to display the commands it is sent but it will leave the last set of slots as is forever. I thought this was an unusual operation and was going to discuss it with the team ASAP. I got around it in my test sequences by putting a Level=0 / Color=black after each effect.

Attached is an updated output module that follows my new understanding of the 'rule'.

It will require a change to how you implement RGB in a Mono mode. Instead of the pixel being on the first output of the set, it should be on the last output:

Mono E131-3-RGB, Mono E131[3], RGB
    Mono E131-6-RGB, Mono E131[6], RGB
    Mono E131-9-RGB, Mono E131[9], RGB
    Mono E131-12-RGB, Mono E131[12], RGB
    Mono E131-15-RGB, Mono E131[15], RGB
    Mono-E131-18-RGB, Mono E131[18], RGB
    Mono-E131-21-RGB, Mono E131[21], RGB
    Mono-E131-24-RGB, Mono E131[24], RGB

Note that each pixel ENDS on 3,6,9,12,15,18,21,24 respectively.

This will only affect you when you are using the RGB in a Mono mode. The "Assume RGB ..." mode still works the same way.

Next?

-Ed
    Attached Files Attached Files

Post Thanks / Like

I just want to jump in quickly and thank Ed and his team for all they have done to enable these newer technologies. His implementation of the Vixen E1.31 protocol is the gold standard and is very well tested and mature. Thankfully, he released his code to the community. I referred to and have read his implementation to get a better understanding of the E1.31 protocol and networking in C#. So get cracking on Vixen 3 and testing out your E1.31 hardware, everyone!

Post Thanks / Like

Ed

Many thanks for getting this out so us poor people with only some E131 gear can test Vixen3 against some real hardware.

I continue to be excited by Vixen3 and hope that with this well written output module that further work on the sequencer and software continues at full pace without concern about one of the critical required output modules.

As Rockett so well said, this is a Gold Standard and I would fully expect this to become the official E131 module for Vixen3

Again Ed, gratefull thanks for your continued hard work for the christmas lighting community.

Cheers
    Phil
    Last edited by aussiephil; 01-26-2012 at 08:57 PM.
    2012:
    Software: LightFactory Personal
    Hardware: J1Sys Pixel controllers . [url]Http://www.j1sys.com[/url]
    Lights: 6000+ Pixels and 20k+ LEDs
    Channels: around 20,000 channels

You know where to find me....

Post Thanks / Like

Just wanted to say thanks Ed.

Now I can start testing 3.0 against some of my other hardware, (and hopefully channel counts once the dev team gets the performance issues fixed up *nudge*wink*). I'm sure that this software, just like everything else you have written and created will truly set the standard for how things should be done.

Keep up the awesome work you do for the community!
    Check out what the [URL="http://www.extremelightingproducts.com/shop"]Extreme Lighting Products Shop[/URL] is selling!

Post Thanks / Like

Is there an easier way to assign channels to rgb i have over 3000 channels?

Post Thanks / Like

Also have some issues with universe 2 what is proper set up for 50 pixels each string 3 strings per universe. Using rgb function. I have start slot1 slots 150 and for universe 2 start slot 151 slots 150. I tried start 1 slots 450 and uni 2 start 151 slots 450 no luck. I have this working fine in vixen 2.1 and lsp Just a little different than both with rgb function

Post Thanks / Like

Boarder3 -

on the easier way ... i don't know, more a question for the vixen 3 gurus. i wondered that myself.

on the universes ... i think i understand: 3 strings of 50 in 2 universes. so 150 pixels per universe. so 450 slots per universe.

Universe 1, start slot=1, slots=450
    Universe 2, start slot=451, slots=450

you should set the outputs from vixen to be 300.

all of this assuming you want to run in "Assume RGB" mode.

-Ed

Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast