Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: RGB LED Patent Discussion

Fountain Valley, CA (Orange County, So. Cal)
    Post Thanks / Like

Default RGB LED Patent Discussion

Quote Originally Posted by Prismalites View Post
    From I2C-addressable RGB LED Project Thread
    I am the guy who invented and patented I2C RGB control (seriously) for use in holiday lighting. I have several patents regarding this type of system and have done extensive work in this arena and in intelligent holiday lighting in general and would be very glad to help! A couple of my related patents are 7,015,825 and 7,327,337 and it's very likely that I have already solved some of the problems you may encounter.
    Is the uniqueness of the invention that you specifically used I2C, a programmable address, and that particular combination of control registers to drive an RGB LED? (just wanted clarification so as to avoid patent issues)

don
    Last edited by DynamoBen; 01-14-2010 at 12:18 AM. Reason: Added Reference to original thread
    Click for display details >>
    web site: http://www.eShepherdsOfLight.com or http://www.facebook.com/eShepherdsOfLight
    technical articles: http://downloads.eshepherdsoflight.com

Post Thanks / Like

Default Re: I2C-addressable RGB LED Project

Hi, get in contact with me - I am the guy who invented and patented I2C RGB control (seriously) for use in holiday lighting. I have several patents regarding this type of system and have done extensive work in this arena and in intelligent holiday lighting in general and would be very glad to help! A couple of my related patents are 7,015,825 and 7,327,337 and it's very likely that I have already solved some of the problems you may encounter. I have always just lurked in here on occasion but when I saw that someone was interested in actually working on an I2C intelligent control system I wanted to chime in since I began working with this in 2003 with Philips (now NXP).

Just curious - Ding Dotz

http://www.mag-led.com/products_Iris.htm#dingdotz

(a four wire power/data/clock/ground system) have been available since at least 2000.

I'm not trying to hijack the thread, but it seems like there's a ton of overlap between your patents, the Ding Dotz, and the Color Kinetics strings which have been available since 2002 or so...
    Last edited by JEC; 01-13-2010 at 04:22 PM.

Post Thanks / Like

Hi folks,

#1 I'm not one bit concerned about experimenter level or "prototype level" patent infringements...thats ridiculous to even bother spending time on. I actually encourage experimentation - we all possibly work together to advance the art in some ways so hopefully that answers that question. As long as you don't try to sell these commercially by the throngs and it's just for experimentation we really could care less.

#2 My patents are patentably distinct from all Lys et. al. / Color Kinetics work in that he did not anticipate A clock signal , a data signal, +v , and Ground any any disclosures and thats why the patent office gave me these patents. As for The Dotz product , the protocol used is one set up by Furry at the old company before LSG merged with them. I know all of these guys pretty well including Brent York up in Canada and and have visited with them , worked with them, and shot the technobull many times and we're all straight about who owns what. Color Kinetics were about the biggest A$$es to begin with but once Ihor Lys and I sat down a couple of years ago we found we actually had no disagreement at all and so that went away promptly.

#3 There are two other patents pending right this moment, one is ready to issue early this year regarding the controller itself and another is going through thats more about the ICs. 5 more are in the works but I best not go into that for obvious reasons until they are filed and pending and publically disclosed.

In addition, I have worked extensively on other ways of accomplishing intelligent LED control with companies ranging from 3waylabs to ThingM and several others. Anyone interested in microchip based implementations also please feel free to contact me! Guys, I do this as a career and thats totally seperate from my personal experimentation and collaborations with outside inventors and engineers so for Gods sake don't hesitate to email me and I'll do my best to help you in any of your very cool innovative products. And BTW, I loved the huge tree animation, impressive - so now you can't say that nobody noticed! Ha! Great work guys!

Post Thanks / Like

Hi folks,

#1 I'm not one bit concerned about experimenter level or "prototype level" patent infringements...thats ridiculous to even bother spending time on. I actually encourage experimentation - we all possibly work together to advance the art in some ways so hopefully that answers that question. As long as you don't try to sell these commercially by the throngs and it's just for experimentation we really could care less.

#2 My patents are patentably distinct from all Lys et. al. / Color Kinetics work in that he did not anticipate A clock signal , a data signal, +v , and Ground any any disclosures and thats why the patent office gave me these patents. As for The Dotz product , the protocol used is one set up by Furry at the old company before LSG merged with them. I know all of these guys pretty well including Brent York up in Canada and and have visited with them , worked with them, and shot the technobull many times and we're all straight about who owns what. Color Kinetics were about the biggest A$$es to begin with but once Ihor Lys and I sat down a couple of years ago we found we actually had no disagreement at all and so that went away promptly.

#3 There are two other patents pending right this moment, one is ready to issue early this year regarding the controller itself and another is going through thats more about the ICs. 5 more are in the works but I best not go into that for obvious reasons until they are filed and pending and publically disclosed.

In addition, I have worked extensively on other ways of accomplishing intelligent LED control with companies ranging from 3waylabs to ThingM and several others. Anyone interested in microchip based implementations also please feel free to contact me! Guys, I do this as a career and thats totally seperate from my personal experimentation and collaborations with outside inventors and engineers so for Gods sake don't hesitate to email me and I'll do my best to help you in any of your very cool innovative products. And BTW, I loved the huge tree animation, impressive - so now you can't say that nobody noticed! Ha! Great work guys!
    And oh yes, LSG / Furry got into hot water over the Ding Dotz with CK too a while back and I'm not sure Ihor or Fritz had any ammunition to cause much of a ruckus on that either - need to see how that turned out. Philips Logic now NXP and I worked in concert to develop what I have patented and I never have or will ever get a cease and desist from competing smart LED tech companies because what I did originally back in 2002-2003 with those engineers following my lead beat them all to the punch or at the very least differed from their IP enough so that no problems could arise. Also, don't make me sad...Just because I chimed in doesn't mean I am the lurking infringement devil. Quite the contrary! Whats to say that some genius here in the forums won't have a great set of ideas to add to the existing IP? Closed minded IP trolls just PI$$ me off and gentelmen I am not one of those.

Post Thanks / Like

Hi folks,

You started this paragraph as "I'm",, then you finish it as "we".. Who is "we" ?

So, let me get this right? Your claiming in your patent that a control system that has a clock, data, ground is your invention?
    [B][FONT=Arial]stell[COLOR="#FF0000"]a[/COLOR][COLOR="#008000"]s[/COLOR][COLOR="#0000CD"]c[/COLOR]apes[/FONT][/B] - LED lighting solutions for the Prosumer, Commercial and Entertainment Industries.
    Doing pixels first since 2009 with [URL="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GAt6A98lXQw"]just another megatree.[/URL]
    Follow us on Facebook at [url]www.facebook.com/stellascapes[/url]
    web: [url]www.stellascapes.com[/url]

Post Thanks / Like

Also, don't make me sad...Just because I chimed in doesn't mean I am the lurking infringement devil. Quite the contrary! Whats to say that some genius here in the forums won't have a great set of ideas to add to the existing IP? Closed minded IP trolls just PI$$ me off and gentelmen I am not one of those.
    I'm glad to see you know how it works. Everyones work is just an extension of the last persons.. I'd suggest you've come across the wrong way if what you say is your intention.
    [B][FONT=Arial]stell[COLOR="#FF0000"]a[/COLOR][COLOR="#008000"]s[/COLOR][COLOR="#0000CD"]c[/COLOR]apes[/FONT][/B] - LED lighting solutions for the Prosumer, Commercial and Entertainment Industries.
    Doing pixels first since 2009 with [URL="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GAt6A98lXQw"]just another megatree.[/URL]

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by mrpackethead View Post
    You started this paragraph as "I'm",, then you finish it as "we".. Who is "we" ?

So, let me get this right? Your claiming in your patent that a control system that has a clock, data, ground is your invention?
    Hi, yes the "we" includes Philips Logic (NXP) , and Carpenter Decorating Co,. Inc and I and some licensees. ThingM is a licensee, for example that makes proto LED boards for people that want to work with I2C intelligent lighting.

No there's far more to it than the simple Clock,Data,GND, and +V portion. I did not re-patent I2C...I just extended its use into color variable and addressable SSL applications. It's more to do with RGB,RGBA,RGBW LED fixture networks and the related topologies and control system to accomplish this along with the use of multiplexers and repeaters and so on. NXP also used my suggestions to hack together the FM+ standard which is much faster and allows for far greater bus capacitance. Another part that the patents now disclose is the use of EEPROM to store addresses. Read the patents, they are not too hard to understand for sure. There's plenty more but for Gods sake I don't want to write a book here! I -did- like your display, and yes I think it was brilliant work. Right now I am working on volumetric displays that give the things a bit of "depth" and since we showed one of those publically last year I'm getting alot of interest.

Post Thanks / Like

>Read the patents,

I have

>they are not too hard to understand for sure

If you wrote them, i'm sure they are not.

>There's plenty more but for Gods sake I don't want to write a book here!

As yet, you've not offered anything to help out entropy in his project, other than to tell everyone that you have some patents? I can't make sense of it?

>I -did- like your display,

Thanks. So did many other people. It did'nt have a scrap of I2C in it, sorry.

>and yes I think it was brilliant

Yup, it was bright. Though i didn't measure how bright.

>volumetric displays

You might need to elaboroate what that is.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by mrpackethead View Post
    >Read the patents,

I have

>they are not too hard to understand for sure

If you wrote them, i'm sure they are not.

>There's plenty more but for Gods sake I don't want to write a book here!

As yet, you've not offered anything to help out entropy in his project, other than to tell everyone that you have some patents? I can't make sense of it?

>I -did- like your display,

Thanks. So did many other people. It did'nt have a scrap of I2C in it, sorry.

>and yes I think it was brilliant

Yup, it was bright. Though i didn't measure how bright.

>volumetric displays

You might need to elaboroate what that is.
    I just wrote you off-board and on board telling you plainly that I had absolutely no intention of using this board or any other to enforce any patents on hobbyist activities and told you plainly that I could direct you to several private projects based on the technologies that I was just as happy to see and help out with. I SUPPORT and would be glad to help Entropy if I have anything to offer to his efforts, sure, but i need to look over whats going on with it first ok - ha! All I did was make the mistake of not coming into the forum plainly stating that it was absolutely not my intention to kill any projects or any such thing. For that I apologize guys, sincerely. As I said to you in my email, I know its also sometimes a shock to find that others have worked on similar solutions to problems but thats absolutely no reason to give up or anticipate corporate terror. Quite the contrary, people like those in this forum are what make technologies move forward. Again, sorry....just please next time don't be so abrupt and condescending. Thats pretty rude considering all I did was mention to you guys I had a hand in patenting and commercializing some cool stuff related to intelligent I2C RGB lighting and offered to help out in some way if I could...wow. If this is a amateur-only board that doesn't want anybody in it that actually engineers things and makes products and sells them based on the technologies discussed please let me know. Talk about not making sense. Sorry....I'll just forget about bothering with it at all if you guys already have all your answers or have no need to talk with somebody that pioneered the whole RGB(X) I2C control thing. I thought that was what forums were all about?! First one I ever came across that went ballistic when I said hi and threw in a few comments. No kidding, it is! Gracious, please no hostility?! I harbor nothing but good intentions.

Post Thanks / Like

Anybody providing guidance/knowledge to us gratis is more than welcome here - even though it may not have looked that way from some...:confused:
    Brian

Christmas in San Jose! - WEB - FB - VIDEOS
    Halloween in San Jose! - FB
    2015 Halloween Show - Planning now - hopefully some house projection...
    2015 Christmas Show - 5x E681-12, 1x 6804, Ren48LSD, 3x RenSS16, 1x Falcon16v2 (w/expander), 24x90 WS2811 pixel MT (James MT Strips), 12x DIYC Floods, SuperPixelStar, 3x Pixel Arches, PixaBulb House outline

Ignorance is Temporary - Stupidity is Forever...

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast