Renzilla - Need Help

MarbeL

Supporting Member
I have the renzilla with the ESP red snapin kit to make it wireless. I updated the ESP8266's firmware with ESPixelstick V3.2 firmware. When I go to the browser IP for the ESP8266, I click on the tab "effects" and choose "flash". I verify that everything is flashing under the tab "diagnostics", yet the relays I have connected with lights are not responding. I've attached pictures of my settings in the ESPixelstick firmrware.

I had gone to xlights zoom support channel, and they didn't seem to have any further recommendations on what to do either. If someone has any input, it would be greatly appreciated. I'd be willing to ship it out to someone to fix and pay a little $ for the trouble. Last time I used this was 2017, it's just been sitting since then.

Attachments

• 1.jpg
    1.jpg
    51.3 KB · Views: 5
  • 2.jpg
    2.jpg
    53.6 KB · Views: 4
  • 3.jpg
    3.jpg
    66.7 KB · Views: 4
  • 4.jpg
    4.jpg
    56.5 KB · Views: 4
  • 5.jpg
    5.jpg
    77.8 KB · Views: 4
The ESP firmware is designed for pixels and the "test" functions really don't work reliably with discrete channel controllers like Renzilla. Best way is to use the channel test feature in the sequencing software to send the commands directly.

Edit: The SOLID function may work with channel 1 if the color is set to RED, but the others are really iffy and can drive you nuts if you're trying to diagnose anything.

Last edited:
I'm able to make packets show up from Vixen or Xlights, but it still doesn't seem to be getting the information to the relays (SSRHC's).

Attached pic 6 you can see the packets are being received.
The other 2 pics are just of the Renzilla and one of the SSRHC relays.

Attachments

• 6.jpg
    6.jpg
    55.4 KB · Views: 15
  • 7.jpg
    7.jpg
    91.5 KB · Views: 15
  • 888.jpg
    888.jpg
    273.3 KB · Views: 13
Your cat5 cable is plugged into the Renzilla for channels 88-91. If that's where you want it to be, make sure the Renzilla jumpers for that side of the board (channels 49-96) are set properly so that side of the board gets data and also that your sequence is sending at least 91 channels of data to the Renzilla. Misconfiguration of the Renzilla's jumpers is a common problem. If you need the Renzilla user guide, check the DIGWDF Store documentation area: http://digwdf.org/store

BTW, make sure the ESP device configuration is also set to receive all the data, too!

Your cat5 cable is plugged into the Renzilla for channels 88-91. If that's where you want it to be, make sure the Renzilla jumpers for that side of the board (channels 49-96) are set properly so that side of the board gets data and also that your sequence is sending at least 91 channels of data to the Renzilla. Misconfiguration of the Renzilla's jumpers is a common problem. If you need the Renzilla user guide, check the DIGWDF Store documentation area: http://digwdf.org/store

BTW, make sure the ESP device configuration is also set to receive all the data, too!
I got back to working at it, but I just can't get it to work. I get a constant steam of packets on the ESPixelStick home page when I use Vixen 3 to try and play a sequence, but I can't get any relays to light up my lights.

Should I consider re-programming the PIC's? I know they used to work. I googled it and it said PICs flash memory should retain data for decades.
Do any of the settings below seem incorrect to you?
Is there anything you can think of for me to try?

On the espixel stick I configured it as follows:
Universe: 1
Start Channel: 1
Universe Boundary: 96
Unicast (didn't check the box for multicast)
Channel Count: 96
Protocol: Renard
Baud rate: 57600
MQTT (disabled)

In Vixen I configured it as follows:
Steaming ACN (E1.31)
Outputs = 96
Start = 1
On = Checked
Universe = 1
Size = 96
Destination = Unicast to espixelstick's IP address

I'd really like to be able to use this controller again if possible.

when you configure the esp to outpu internal effects, do you get anything on the rezilla? also the esp is sending the ouutput data starting on ren chan 1.

BTW, I'll be glad to diagnose the Renzilla for you... no charge...you just pay 2-way shipping. PM me if you're interested.

Back