Import Xlights to Vixen

For me, the biggest help in building a sequence is the timing. I have used other sequences as a baseline for making it my own. I don't necessarily use the specific effects, but the placement of the effects or the timing of those are helpful for a place to add in my own effects that show off my props. Many times the sequence would not fit my layout very well, but the musical timing gives me a big leg up. Jon and I have done this between ourselves several times. Our layouts are quite a bit different, but we can take each others sequences and use the placement to create our own versions pretty quickly. Many times I can look at videos of other sequences and take the timing cues from that and place my own effects. I know everyone is different in how they work, but that may be another option is to export effect timing and use that as a baseline to work from.

Thanks for all the input. One more question; xLights has a Vixen import module, how did they do that?

The last I looked at it, it was a limited import that pulled in the basics of the effects where there was some alignment. That has been a while. In that same concept we could also do a limited import of the xLights sequence as well that placed the shell of effects in the proper locations. This would have its limitations but might give you more of a shell to work from. The workflow would be much like I mentioned before in giving you more of a timing placement that you could work from.

Back