FPP and Video

RandyL

Hi All -- New to xlights and FPP and would like to display videos using a projector. I can play the videos using a virtual matrix but am wondering if there is a way to play the videos directly from the pi tp the projector

RandyL

Found the problem - FPP didn't like the encoding of the MP4 file. I used Pinnacle Elements to edit the video and then encoded it to a lower resolution. FPP would play the sound but not the video. After encoding it with a generic Windows video editor it worked!

How do you trigger a video file to play that is using HDMI output and not running Xlights? Do you need a script that can be trigged by a DMX command in Vixen?

Been watching remote video setup in Youtube . The video file has to be on both Pi players and I guess they both play simultaneously and sync signals are sent between the players. This is okay if you just needed cover a lot of distance between them and tie everything together. My primary reason was to take the overhead away from the primary PI and use the remote to handle it. Have not seen any way to do that. So my question is using 2 RPI4s with 8 gig ram each, and Main Player also having a load of 5 Sans E386 (4 w/ maxed out universes) controllers; Will the primary player keep up playing the video?

So tonight I may have thought of something that will play the remote Video from Vixen and only on the 2nd FPP Pi. My thought is to leave both in player mode. Use a White Set Level in a sequence to output to a GPIO pin on FPP-1. That will produce 3.3VDC. I will tie a wire from that pin and run it out to FPP-2 on a GPIO input pin that is set to trigger on rising or high voltage. That pin would trigger a video file via media play. That should work, but would give me limited amounts of video files to play for sequences. If I could load a script before each sequence I could change the file destination for each input GPIO pin. Does that require FPPD to restart each time and so therefore there would be this delay between sequences?

Tom, I don't have enough experience but I think a command preset could be used to run a script on the remote.

You would still use a "control channel" but that would trigger a run remote script that would handle starting the video on the remote FPP (not in remote mode). Reading through the manual, it sure seems like that is a possibility.

Thinking about just using just command presets. I Assigned channel 1 to play a video file and it played when triggered. Just need to work on the controller setup in Vixen to map out the channels and I will have plenty of video file commands.

TWIRELESS (tweist) came up with an idea to merge a Renard controller with a Pi by using the Pi's gpio triggers, thus remapping the gpio ports to Renard channels. Of course, we made it wireless using an XBee as well... along the way, Ted discovered some tricky things associated with gpio timing but once sorted out, it resulted in the plugin board below that worked extremely well and very consistently with FPP.

20240405_094456.jpg

Back