F16V4 or K16A-B

algerdes

Supporting Member
It is that time again to look at adding to (and replacing) items in my display. I have feeling for both of these controllers, and quite honestly am having a hard time making up my mind. Both are great controllers (though I have not had a F16V4, but I have quite a few F16V3s).

With that in mind, I will put it up here as an open question. If you had to pick one over the other, which would you choose and why?

Thanks for the discussion. Builds begin in a couple of weeks, so I'm looking for all the information I can acquire as soon as possible.

Al G

I would go for the F16. Why: I have a variety of F16 versions and they all work well for me. When I did have an issue with the V1 board, it was quickly resolved. I have no experience with the Kulp boards so I would go with what I know.

FYI: I have interacted with Dan Kulp on a number of topics and have always found him smart and helpful. Based on this, I would think his product could be (most likely is) of good quality.

I have 8 or 9 Kulp boards and more than that from Falcon (reds, blues, white, V2 and V3). All are great boards. (We use the kulps for stand-a-lone props and the Falcons in areas with groups of props - such as the main display.)

With that said, it has been a couple of years since we needed to purchase. With the F16V4 and the Kulp K16A-B performing similar (if not identical) duties, they are adding to the uncertainty of which one would be "better". Another poking its head up is the Genius controller. I have been told that they are used by a well known big company, pretty much exclusively. With this information, it really makes me wonder which way to go.

Dang, all these choices. There is something to be said of the old days when we had only one way to go for any type of use. :|

Why not the F16V5? instead of the F16V4? Just curious.

I don't use Falcon or Kulp, but I do use a BBB based controller. The underside mounting of the BBB can make mounting the Board a
challenge at times, as I'm sure you are aware.
I recently looked around at what is available out there, It's a lot for sure.
I just have a basic home setup, nothing like what you have, But, if I had to start over, knowing what I know now, I would
go with Falcon. And the reason would be because I could probably only have 1 main controller and use either remotes or smart
remotes to run Everything. Well maybe 2 LOL! Happy Hunting!

"Why not the F16V5? Instead of the F16V4? Just curious."
I'm curious why the F16V5 isn't highlighted on Dave's website. It is there, if you know to look for it. :) If it is such a big jump forward, I would expect it to be "front and center" for us all to see. (Check out the pixelcontroller.com website. The F16V4 and the 2023 long range receivers are "up front".)

Believe it or not, I'm not sold on all this "e-fuse" stuff. I'll wait a bit and see how it plays out.
Our current setups sometimes run right up to the 5 Amps that has become "the standard". We have proof that the falcons are robust enough to sneak this up 7.5 Amp with no bad effects, when needed. We don't recommend it, but have used this as a backup for some setups. Can't do this with the e-fuse, from what I have been told. Also, having to pull open an app, webpage, etc. to reset the fuse is a big time waster. I like to look at the fuse, grab it with a puller, and place a new one. Very quick. Very certain.

F16v5's main differences are E-Fuses and the v5 doesn't have an expansion (F32v5 expected at some point).
The processing of the v4 and v5 is basically the same.
F16v3 uses an FPGA based processor, which means it can do different pixel protocols per port (rather than for the entire board/expansion). The F16v3 is sort after for those who value running multiple pixel protocols and the FPGA in question is becoming harder to buy.

Now there is an interesting question.
"The F16v3 is sort after for those who value running multiple pixel protocols ..." Why would anyone want to run different protocols?? :rolleyes: For sanity's sake, isn't it better to try to stay in the same "house" for each of your protocols? "Keep It Simple" is more than a motto around here. It is how we keep our remaining hair almost connected to our heads. :cool:

BTW- I was amazed at the attitude of several of the folks we met at yesterday's Heartland Mini concerning this question (K16A-B or F16Vx). The answer was "neither". They pointed to the Genius boards instead. One felt so animated about it that they were giving away all their remotes (and they had quite a few) and selling their remaining boards at a pretty good discount.

Amazing how this "hobby" takes twists and turns.

"The F16v3 is sort after for those who value running multiple pixel protocols ..." Why would anyone want to run different protocols?? :rolleyes: For sanity's sake, isn't it better to try to stay in the same "house" for each of your protocols? "Keep It Simple" is more than a motto around here. It is how we keep our remaining hair almost connected to our heads. :cool:
People like options to use their existing lights and new lights with different protocols.

Back