Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: P5/P10/Px Outdoor or Indoor

Post Thanks / Like

Default P5/P10/Px Outdoor or Indoor

I am trying to decide on screen panels (probably from Ray). Does it matter if I purchase an indoor or outdoor version? Looking at pictures, all of them have and open back, i.e. all will need some type of enclosure. Some of my thoughts are:

• Outdoor versions allow you to have the pixels directly exposed and not being defused by some enclosure. +1 for Outdoor
    • It might be hard to find an enclosure with the right size to accommodate a x b number of panels AND with a clear front panel (could be a BIG problem) +1 for Outdoor
    • Outdoor panels still need protection for the back which will probably be some custom project with risk of condensation inside, etc -1 for Outdoor
    • Outdoor panels are more expensive -1 for Outdoor

What are most of you using?

Also, how are you tying this into something like a Falcon controller? There seems to be some Raspberry controller boards. In addition some special connectors are required. Not sure what connectors, yet.

Finally, if you use xLights does it matter, in regards to existing sequences, what matrix size you choose, i.e. square, rectangular, P4, P5, P6, P8, P10, etc? Of will some just work with P5/P10 panels but not others?

Post Thanks / Like

Default Re: P5/P10/Px Outdoor or Indoor

Outdoor panels also use more power. They are also MUCH MUCH brighter. While you can turn down the brightness a bit, they are still significantly brighter than the indoor panels. With our shows being primarily at night, that brightness can be overwhelming.
    Dan Kulp

Post Thanks / Like

My understanding is the mounting holes are different as well so you need different mounting brackets if you get outdoor compared to indoor.

Thanks,
    Shawn

Post Thanks / Like

Most folks are using the Indoor Panels for the following reasons:
    1. Price - less expensive
    2. Brightness - too bright for our typical usage in the dark
    3. Power Consumption - much higher power consumption

Also, almost everyone using these panels will build a custom enclosure to protect the panels, wiring, and controller from the elements. You decide the size and configuration of panels that fit your needs, then design and build the enclosure to protect your equipment. There are many enclosure build videos available.

HTH
    Last edited by TomL8345; 05-17-2021 at 10:51 AM.
    2012 - 1st year 64 Channels - 7500 LED lights - 5 sequences
    2013 - 128 Channels - 10,000 LED lights - 7 sequences (2 New)
    2014 - 201 Channels - upgrading 8 Arches to dumb RGB - 8+ sequences (1+ New)
    2015 - 240 Channels + 8 Universes - sequences TBD
    2016 - No Display
    2017 - Back in the Game - 240 Renard Channels + 12 Universes
    2018 - 256 Renard and 9 Falcon Outputs of Pixels - 16 sequences shown over 2 nights
    2019 - 256 Renard and 9 Falcon Outputs of Pixels - 16 sequences shown over 2 nights
    2020 - Emergency Conversion to Falcon F48 with limited wireless

Post Thanks / Like

Thanks for all that input. That is very helpful. I will go with the indoor panels, probably P5. Saves me some money for other stuff...

Post Thanks / Like

I will disagree with everyone else. Outdoor panels are the only way to go especially if you live in a warmer climate. I ended up replacing (42) indoor P5's last year with quality outdoor P5's from Lyson https://www.alibaba.com/product-deta...375131331.html. I had 1,000+ of the LED's come unsoldered or lose a color. I had ZERO issues with the outdoor P5's from Lyson last year. You get what you pay for sometimes. Trying to save a few bucks ended up costing me much more money. The mounting holes are different as others have stated. The outdoor panels are also MUCH brighter. I ran my 42 P5's at 10% and was plenty bright at night(I think I could've powered from a single 350w power supply based upon power consumption). I still use them as an indoor panel when it comes to weatherproofing and enclosure.

Post Thanks / Like

On the flip side, I used "indoor panels" 2 years ago and also had a fairly high failure rate (my sign is only 6 panels so not really a scientific measurement) due to pixels coming loose. I went with expensive outdoor panels to hopefully fix it, and ended up with roughly the same number of failures. This year I did flip to the 32x32 outdoor P5's and also had a several failures, but I only had to change out 1/2 a normal panel for each failure which helped a bit. I wouldn't say the outdoor panels are any more or less reliable. Likely depends on the vendor and weather (I'm in New England, really cold cycles) and all kinds of things.
    Dan Kulp

Post Thanks / Like

It looks like most people who responded are in higher states and you are about the most south. I wonder if this a general problem with indoor panels or if you just got a bad batch. Has anybody else heard of those panels prematurely breaking down in hotter climates? Having them mounted in a box probably doesn't help with heat, either. Might need a fan.

Edit: I compared some indoor/outdoor panels from Ray. Both the indoor and outdoor panels are rated at up to 85 Celsius in storage and 50 Celsius operating. 50 Celsius is 122 Fahrenheit. Even inland in central CA and with those panels in an enclosure I can't imagine it goes up to that temperature at night. Storage is another some 75 Fahrenheit higher. Maybe it was a bad batch.

@dkulp I am curios if you leave the front exposed since they are outdoor panels. Or do you also put that behind some plexiglass? I am not asking because of the failing panels but do make clearer. Or maybe having it a bit diffused isn't that bad.
    Last edited by munu; 05-17-2021 at 10:03 PM.

Post Thanks / Like

I frequent auschristmaslighting.com where it is incredibly hot in December. Much hotter than December in Southern California. Most people there recommended I looked into outdoor panels after so many failures with the indoor panels. The quality of the product is quite noticeable when you look at the products side by side. One is built to last, the other is meant to be as cheap as possible. I had vents and fans on both the indoor and outdoor panels FYI. I would recommend Lyson for whatever panel you decide to go with.

Post Thanks / Like

Just another tip to think about: you should buy an extra panel or two for that "just in case" moment when one of yours isn't working correctly. Not only that, if one works for the season, then next year you bring it out and it's not working, you have another available from the same batch and it will match. Buying another new one the following year can (and, sadly, very often) result in the new panel not matching the others when it comes to color and brightness. That may be something you don't care about, but it's something to consider.

And, to add my 2 cents: I bought P10 panels for my first batch and hung up my matrix facing east over my garage. It sits there, getting morning sun, from mid-October through all of December, in an enclosure that I built out of 1x4 with a large piece of Plexiglass to house the indoor panels. I've since switched out to P5 indoor panels. The point is, I live in Oregon, where that morning sun isn't nearly as strong as it could be in other areas of the country. However, all that said, I didn't suffer any failures of pixels or panels due to sunlight hitting the matrix.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast