Thread: Bought a new house, want to do sequenced lights

Post Thanks / Like

Default Bought a new house, want to do sequenced lights

Hi all,

I posted here a while back about my old house and getting started but it never happened because we eventually just ended up selling our house and moving. Now that we're somewhat settled in our new house, I'd like to get some lights up this year if I can. For now, I don't want to do any sequencing but if I could get lights up on the house just to have them be random colors, maybe that would be a good start? Is there a good all in one solution for controller, is falcon pretty good? Where does everyone typically get their lights from? I'd like to be able to put some up this year if I can.

Thanks,
    Brandon

Post Thanks / Like

Default Re: Bought a new house, want to do sequenced lights

Quote Originally Posted by bshega View Post
    Hi all,

I posted here a while back about my old house and getting started but it never happened because we eventually just ended up selling our house and moving. Now that we're somewhat settled in our new house, I'd like to get some lights up this year if I can. For now, I don't want to do any sequencing but if I could get lights up on the house just to have them be random colors, maybe that would be a good start? Is there a good all in one solution for controller, is falcon pretty good? Where does everyone typically get their lights from? I'd like to be able to put some up this year if I can.

Thanks,
    Brandon
    Most get rgb pixels on AliExpress from Ray Wu. In my opinion, shipping is a lotttt. Falcon is pretty good? It's like the Ferrari of controllers! They're the best you can get! I do not know the shipping time though from China so that might be a problem.
    Crazy Light Addict.

Post Thanks / Like

Welcome to the world of lighting madness. This hobby can be very addicting. I can understand your enthusiasm or desire to get some lights up this year although this is pretty late in the year to get started.

Based on the type of open ended questions you asked, you will probably get many different answers for your questions. And for good reason. Some people chose types of controllers and where to purchase lights based on an overall plan or desire for what they have in mind for their show. Some people will just buy a controller and a string of lights to learn and to get a better understanding of how things work so they can figure out how best to accomplish their lighting project.

There are just so many possibilities and options available today to accomplish your goals.

It is possible, to do something this year. That said, based on my seven years in the hobby, you might be better off to get really settled in your new home and spend time reading the forums, AusChristmas 101 Christmas lighting manual, and doing more research before just buying a controller to light up your roof line. And many answers depend on how much you already understand about the different aspects of this hobby which only you know. Are you interested in just more than lighting up a roof line? What do you want to be able to do in the end? Only you can answer those questions.

Short answer to your questions: Controllers I have used in my show: Sansdevices and Falcon controllers. Both have served me well. Purchased lights: DIYled Express and Ray WU. I have had no problems with either seller. BUT I would definitely be open and am interested in other controllers and lighting suppliers. There are many more options today than just two years ago and based off what I have learned over the years and the continual advancement in technology of the products, would consider several other options today if purchasing items for my show.

Post Thanks / Like

If you buy from Ray,make sure to contact him first. He will usually give you a way better deal on shipping that what Aliexpress says.
    (1)Falcon PI Player (Running the show)
    (1)Falcon F16V3
    (1) Kulp K32A-B
    (1)Renard SS16
    (1)Renard SS24
    (1)EDM-LCD-CS-EP
    (20)P10 Panels

WIKI
    Become A Supporting Member

Falcon Christmas
    Renard Controllers

Post Thanks / Like

I am in your boat. I don't have the money or time to do much this year. I came into a little extra cash and thought I could throw something together. I plan on building frames for my front windows (6), running each of them to their own channel on the Falcon 16v3, and just run simple test patterns to them. The only thing I am going to really spend a lot of time on is building the frames out and installing the lights in them. Much easier to do it right once instead of doing it again. Even if I only get 1 or 2 windows done every couple of days, that works for me.

I ordered my pixels off Amazon. Not too many people have them right now and getting them quickly is not easy. I ordered someone that appears to stock Ray Wu pixel strings, so I went with those.