Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Thread: The Colorado Connection - welcome!

Post Thanks / Like

Default The Colorado Connection - welcome!

Hi all

I started noticing more and more Colorado people on the DIYC site, especially new folks and thought it might be nice for the Coloradan's to have a place to connect, share ideas, get help and maybe meet up.

This sub-forum is not meant to take away from the main DIYC forums, rather just a meeting place for those in or around Colorado. Please make sure you still post your general questions and the like to the main forums.

Through this forum I was hoping that we could perhaps make connections and meet others in the area, provide help on projects to those close in the neighborhood, or just show-off our talents. Everyone knows people from Colorado have awesome abilities! ;) So lets show the rest of them what we're made of!

Please feel free to introduce yourself, ask around the area for help, share ideas and lets see if we can't get a real atmosphere of sharing and help going in Colorado. Take the Spirit of Christmas all the way!

My name is Robert Dagg, and 2009 is/was my first year of blink-flashy. I am now fully committed (or should be committed) to making future displays bigger, better and always fun. I'm more than happy to help anyone and would welcome requests.

Merry Christmas!
    -Robert.
    Lakewood, CO

Post Thanks / Like

Default Re: The Colorado Connection - welcome!

Very cool, Robert!
    I hope you guys get this together,
    I'm over here in NJ, no meeting spot over here ;)
    [I][B][SIZE=4]-Spencer[/SIZE][/B]
    [/I]High-School Student - Programmer - Electronics Enthusiast - Loves Stage Lighting
    [B]Back for 2012![/B]

Post Thanks / Like

Hi all my name is scott and im in the thornton area.

Pm if i can help in any way... i can weld have a small metal lathe/mill and woodworking was my #1 hobby before the blinke bug got me.

I have yet to do a full blown display (using MR CHRISTMAS 6 channel) but i have 96 channels of LOR ready to go.... i just could not get it all together for 2009 but look out 2010.

scott
    05 1000 mini lights with factory controllers on string
    06 added 1200 mini static in trees
    07 added "Mr Christmas" 100 C9 & 1100 more mini
    08 With a lot of help from DIYC will add a GRINCH 48 channel mega tree (9600 mini) DIY 3 channel 6' dia wreath (1800 mini) & 14 snowflakes on roof

Post Thanks / Like

Sorry I am not eligible to join this gorup any more. I used to be stationed at Ft. Carson and loved every second of it.

Post Thanks / Like

Hi Everyone, Name is James, I live in Wellington, CO

This was my first year of an animated display. Actually started building a little bit of hardware 2 years ago, but didn't really get into the big builds until about early August this year.
    I have (2) 128 channel FireGod dimmers out with 176 channels running, I built all of it including my own design SSR's from scratch, photo and acid etching all the boards. Got 2 LEDTRIKS panels this year, pegboard variety about 2 x 4 feet. 20ft Megatree with 30 channels (and as i have learned, not nearly enough lights on it to be really cool!!) 10 minitrees, 4 leaping arches, 10 strobes and (2) tune-to signs (I do my own vinyl cutting) and in all about 17,000 lights (and a rediculous 1700 feet of Cat5e in the yard,... another lesson to plan better controller placement next year!!!)
    I managed to get 5 songs sequenced for this year and I am tired now, so it will stay at 5 for this season 8)

If I can be of help to anyone let me know! I have a full metal shop with lathes, mill, plasma, welders etc... and I can do cut vinyl to 36" width. I develop with EagleCAD for circuit boards and have the full package, can do pretty much any single or double sided circuit board. Be glad to help out if anyone needs anything locally!

Thanks for posting this sub-forum lakewood!
    -James

Post Thanks / Like

I'm Larry and live in Colorado Springs.

I started animating my lights around 01 or 02, IIRC. The first year was just a simple 555 timer and a relay. Every few seconds (adjustable with a potentiometer) the timer would switch the relay to have all the white lights on or all the multicolor lights on. The next year I built an 8-channel parallel port controller and moved up from there.

I started using LOR around 04. To keep expansion costs down, I added 2 Renards this year. In order to mix the systems I'm running them on DMX with Vixen.

This year show has 112 channels.

Post Thanks / Like

Hi to everyone that has replied.

Please upload or attach videos/links/etc to your displays so we can all see and applaud your work. Plus we might get some ideas for next year.

I'm thinking that early in the new year, if we can all take the time, we should maybe try to meet up somewhere central and put names and faces to the displays. Whatcha all think?

-Robert
    Lakewood, CO

Post Thanks / Like

Hello all,

I am Steve Endicott from Colorado Springs. I am new to this, and currently have a static display with about 2000 lights. I, like Robert, have committed (or should be...love that!!!) to making 2010 my first year. I am still learning a lot about this great hobby, and feel that 12 months of planning/prep should give me enough time to do a good show next year.

If I had a system in place this year, it would be an 8 channel system with pretty much white icicle lights and netting on my bushes. I plan on growing to a 24 (or maybe 32) channel system with my existing icicle lights, along with multi color, C7's, yard decorations and maybe a star or snowflake.

Thanks to a great community for helping me get started and I would very much like to connect with fellow hobbyists (what are we called...btw...other than crazy...).

Thanks,

Steve E.
    [URL="http://www.facebook.com\lightsonbarrelrace"]Click here for Lights on Barrel Race
    [/URL]
    [COLOR=black][FONT=Verdana]
    2012: Added LED Bethlehem Star, nine FAST tubes to the mix, and three LED floods, and an RDS to the mix.
    More channels and lights too!![/FONT][/COLOR]
    2011: Running 168 channels with arches, inflatables with LEDs, and of course....about 16,000 lights!
    2010: 2 Renard SS8ís and 2 Renard SS16's, and about 6000 lights
    2009: Just a small 1200 light static display

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Steve E. View Post
    I am still learning a lot about this great hobby, and feel that 12 months of planning/prep should give me enough time to do a good show next year.
    Welcome to DIYC, Steve. You are smart to plan on 12 months. It's not that it's terribly difficult to do, it's just that the combination of equipment that's available coupled with "ideas" that will suddenly pop into your head will clutter your total sense of reason and you'll go bananas just like the rest of us! :-D

Like you, I had a static display once. Then last January I got into this blinky-flashy stuff, finally joined DIYC in February, and it's been just a blast since then. Building the gear will be the EASY part. Deciding on the music you want to use and matching the lights to it will become the most time-consuming part, but that's the "magic time" that will really give you the payoff later on!

Get started early, plan it out and stick to a schedule, giving yourself plenty of last-minute time to "tweak" things. Then stand back and enjoy what you've done -- and let others pat you on the back for bringing some special joy into their Holiday celebrations too!

-dave

http://digwdf.com/store/
    The DIGWDF Store is closed for all sales. Thanks to everyone who supported us through the years!
    User guides, documentation and other files are still free and available for downloading.

Post Thanks / Like

Yeah...I have already grown (in my mind at least) from a simple 8 strand setup to my master plan which is a heck of a lot more. There is no way I can 1.) afford all of it now, 2.) have time for all of it in a year, or 3.) can convince the spouse that it is ALL ok. I am sure she will want to have input on what is too much. :-)

I figure it will be a growth process. 24 channels next year, a few more the year after, a sale here and a sale there (means another 8 channels or so....) I will get there eventually. I have it all planned out in Visio so I can visually see what it might look like. Plus it is easier to sell to my wife that way. Of course, like any good plan, it is subject to change and probably will.

Anyhow, thanks for the welcome and I look forward to working with you and the rest of the DIYC community.

Steve E.
    [URL="http://www.facebook.com\lightsonbarrelrace"]Click here for Lights on Barrel Race
    [/URL]
    [COLOR=black][FONT=Verdana]
    2012: Added LED Bethlehem Star, nine FAST tubes to the mix, and three LED floods, and an RDS to the mix.
    More channels and lights too!![/FONT][/COLOR]
    2011: Running 168 channels with arches, inflatables with LEDs, and of course....about 16,000 lights!
    2010: 2 Renard SS8ís and 2 Renard SS16's, and about 6000 lights
    2009: Just a small 1200 light static display

Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast