Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Powering the Grinch?

Post Thanks / Like

Default Powering the Grinch?

I have successfully built and tested the Grinch board powering it with a separate 5vDC and ground into the J2 pins.

I am now trying to clean things up a bit and would like to power the board through pin 1 on the RJ45 as mentioned in the Construction Notes. If I chose this option where does the ground come from?

Post Thanks / Like

Put your power supply's ground on pin 3 of the RJ45, this is the same pin that LPT pins 18-25 are on, which are grounds.
    James Family Christmas - 1600 channels of SS Renard channels
    Website - http://jamesfamilychristmas.com/ <<broken
    Facebook - James Family Christmas

Post Thanks / Like

I guess I'm still a little confused. Right now I have the DB-25 pin 18 (which I understand is a ground) connected to the RJ-45 pin 3. Is this sufficient ground for the 5vDC source or do I also need to connect the 5vDC ground to the RJ-45 pin 3?

I am using one of the DB-25 to RJ-45 adapters.

Post Thanks / Like

Yes, you want the DB-25 pin 18 and the power supply ground on pin 3 of the RJ45.
    It a good idea to use more than one of the ground pins ( 18 - 25) of the LPT.

Post Thanks / Like

Thanks!

Post Thanks / Like

I am ready to fire up my Grinch for the first time. I have been unable to find a reasonably priced variable DC power supply.

I found a wall adapter from a DSL router that I've had at my office for a long time that has been collecting dust and ready to be tossed. The DC output is 5Vdc, 3.0A.

Will this work for the Grinch?

I am not sure exactly how much power is needed to trigger all 64 triacs, but it seems that the power needed to trigger the Triacs is in the 50 mA range. 64 x 50 mA = 320 mA. Am I on the right track?

Post Thanks / Like

I wouldn't use the wall wart unless I knew it was filtered and regulated. Don't exactly know what that means, but it is the first response out of everyone who seems to know anything about this stuff.

You already have a 5 volt power supply, its in your PC. or are you running from a laptop?

Most just grab power from their PC and run it straight into the Grinch. If not that, then a spare APS from some computer that is/was getting throuwn away. How are you trying to drive your Grinch - laptop or desk top?

Steve

Post Thanks / Like

Go with what Steve says. At the very least make sure that it is regulated, since I'm not sure how it could be regulated without being filtered as well.

--

Phil

Post Thanks / Like

My plan was to use a laptop as I have have an older one that hasn't seen much use in a while, so no power supply to draw from it.

I've thought about the APS senario and I was was planning to go up to the dump where they have an electronics recycling progam and see what I can find. I also found some one on Craigslist who's giving a P3 computer for free, it just needs a hard drive. I'm not too confident that it will run, but if it does work after I throw a hard drive into it, I'll just run Vixen from it, otherwise it will be cannibalized for the APS. I'm thinking this might be the cheapest option.

Does anyone have a lead on a variable power supply that is less than $90?

Is there any way to regulate or filter a wall wart?

Post Thanks / Like

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast