Page 3 of 9 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Just another boring old Mega Tree

Post Thanks / Like

Default Re: Just another boring old Mega Tree

Quote Originally Posted by budude View Post
    So - - how does this compare cost/feature-wise to Galaxia?
    While purposely avoid the answering your question re: price, I can say that (having not used Galaxia myself) I believe theirs is a somewhat closed system. The software allows for video, images, effects, etc to be created and then stored locally on the controller for playback.

And I believe that there are provisions for external effects triggering in some fashion or another.

However - and I may be mistaken here - I don't think their system can be driven 'live'.

On the other hand, what we've been fooling around with can be driven directly (through a protocol bridge) by either DMX or Art-Net. The advantage to this method is that one can use any hardware or software package available for effects authoring.

Thus, anything from a $1.09 PIC 16F688 to a $40,000 GrandMA lighting console will drive these lights, at least in some fashion.

Further, up to ~ 2000 nodes can be driven in a series chain while preserving a 30+ fps refresh rate. The caveat is that since each node draws ~ 60 mA @ 5V, power needs to be re-injected every 50 nodes or 6 meters. Otherwise, voltage drop in a long chain becomes significant.

Multiple chains may also be driven in parallel from a single controller's output.
    Last edited by JEC; 12-07-2009 at 06:23 PM.

Post Thanks / Like

MPH and JEC, just excellent. This is just fantastic and something I'm sure that many of us would aspire to be able to produce one day. Please do post some details and share as much as you can to get us headed in the right direction.
    Tony P.

[url]www.vimeo.com/palombolights[/url]

Post Thanks / Like

amazing. I would like a break down of what you did! That's incredible.
    [COLOR="#A52A2A"][FONT=Arial Black][SIZE=3][B]Dark Yard again for 2017 [/B][/SIZE][/FONT][/COLOR]
    [COLOR="#008000"][SIZE=2] Still searching for more Time and Money[/SIZE][/COLOR]
    [COLOR="BLUE"][URL="https://www.facebook.com/KentuckyChristmas"]Display Facebook Page[/URL][/COLOR]

Post Thanks / Like

mrpackethead and JEC, I am speechless and in awe. That is most mezmorizing display that I have ever seen. You deserve a BRAVO and full standing ovation for your efforts. Truely amazing !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by JEC View Post
    Further, up to ~ 2000 nodes can be driven in a series chain while preserving a 30+ fps refresh rate. The caveat is that since each node draws ~ 60 mA @ 5V, power needs to be re-injected every 50 nodes or 6 meters. Otherwise, voltage drop in a long chain becomes significant.
    Announcing Dirknerkle's Group Buy for 2010

Yes, now YOU can own your own nuclear power station, complete with mini-cooling towers, supply ponds and on-site nuclear storage. Caution: this kit is for the mid to advanced level DIY-er. Details to follow as I work up the licensing agreements with the NRC...
    Last edited by dirknerkle; 12-07-2009 at 06:50 PM.

http://digwdf.org/store/
    Even though the DIGWDF Store has been closed for two years, it's still awesome!
    User guides, documentation and other files are still free and available for downloading.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by dirknerkle View Post
    Announcing Dirknerkle's Group Buy for 2010

Yes, now YOU can own your own nuclear power station, complete with mini-cooling towers, supply ponds and on-site nuclear storage. Caution: this kit is for the mid to advanced level DIY-er. Details to follow as I work up the licensing agreements with the NRC...

Note that if you did built a megatree this size using regular C9 bulbs, you'd need about 18 KW of power. This LED tree runs on just 1,000 watts. Amazing.
    Last edited by JEC; 12-07-2009 at 07:02 PM.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by JEC View Post
    Note that if you did built a megatree this size using regular C9 bulbs, you'd need about 18 KW of power. This LED tree runs on just 1,000 watts. Amazing.
    Correction for you.. the power supplys are rated to supply up to 1000W, but i'm only running it at about 60%, so i have some head room ( nothign like not stressing stuff out to make it reliable ).. so about 600W is the actual power consumption.. I'll plug in a power meter some time and actually measure the real draw.
    [B][FONT=Arial]stell[COLOR="#FF0000"]a[/COLOR][COLOR="#008000"]s[/COLOR][COLOR="#0000CD"]c[/COLOR]apes[/FONT][/B] - LED lighting solutions for the Prosumer, Commercial and Entertainment Industries.
    Doing pixels first since 2009 with [URL="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GAt6A98lXQw"]just another megatree.[/URL]
    Follow us on Facebook at [url]www.facebook.com/stellascapes[/url]
    web: [url]www.stellascapes.com[/url]

Post Thanks / Like

BTW, Jec will have his home display up and going shortly.. I have a little insight into what hes built, but hes still a bit hush hush about it.. Same kit, very different layout.. Watch out for his videos soon.
    [B][FONT=Arial]stell[COLOR="#FF0000"]a[/COLOR][COLOR="#008000"]s[/COLOR][COLOR="#0000CD"]c[/COLOR]apes[/FONT][/B] - LED lighting solutions for the Prosumer, Commercial and Entertainment Industries.
    Doing pixels first since 2009 with [URL="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GAt6A98lXQw"]just another megatree.[/URL]
    Follow us on Facebook at [url]www.facebook.com/stellascapes[/url]
    web: [url]www.stellascapes.com[/url]

Post Thanks / Like

Actually if C-9s were used and you had to use 2000 of each color (red, green and blue) it would take 54000 watts. That's 225 amps at 240 volts and 450 amps at 120 volts. Wow talk about energy savings. Even using mini light strings at .33 amps each would require 19.8 amps for 2376 watts. What you have done with this project is outstanding!

Post Thanks / Like

Thumbs up Re: Just another boring old Mega Tree

All I can say is WOW!!!!! Fantabulous
    Zaker

1 - Ren 64
    4 - Ren 24
    1 - Ren48LSD
    2 - E681
    LOTS OF LIGHTS!!
    [URL]http://lights.quietwebhosting.com[/URL]

Page 3 of 9 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast