Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Led Lights wont fade they just flicker

Post Thanks / Like

Question Led Lights wont fade they just flicker

Any one else ever had this problem when using LOR or anything else. For some reason during fade the lights flicker like a short instead of getting dimmer and brighter!! ANy fix for this or am I out $300 bucks?

:confused:

Post Thanks / Like

Default Re: Led Lights wont fade they just flicker

Visit this link. Shows hoe to make a terminator to put at the end of your LED strings.

http://www.crazylightlady.us/TerminatorsHow-To.html

Post Thanks / Like

Try a long fade from 0 to 100% or toy with them in the manual control if you have that in LOR. If it seems to work it is probably from the sensitivity of the triac. I use Vixen and found that on some LED's I had did the same thing with my old programs, but if you adjust them they had seemed to work for me. The latest vixen has intensity settings I believe that will help with that. I am going to download it tonight and check it out.
    Jerome

Post Thanks / Like

This could also be a load issue. For a SSR based dimmer to work properly they need to have a heavy enough load. LEDs because of the small current draw can cause dimming issues like this. As a test, if the other suggestions don't correct this, connect a 100W light bulb to the string. This is called a "ghost load" and should smooth out the dimming of the entire string and make things work correctly.
    DMX, RDM, ArtNet, sACN, and RDMnet...the future of DIY Christmas.
    Designer of the PropController an open source single-board hardware platform designed for lighting and prop control.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by DynamoBen View Post
    This could also be a load issue. For a SSR based dimmer to work properly they need to have a heavy enough load. LEDs because of the small current draw can cause dimming issues like this. As a test, if the other suggestions don't correct this, connect a 100W light bulb to the string. This is called a "ghost load" and should smooth out the dimming of the entire string and make things work correctly.
    A 100-watt bulb is a lot more than a "ghost load". That will draw over eight-tenths of an amp by itself.

A lot of folks seem to have success using a C-7 bulb which is only about .053 amps.

Longfellow said that in this world a man must be either anvil or hammer.
    But some are neither, they are merely bellows.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by WireWrap View Post
    A 100-watt bulb is a lot more than a "ghost load". That will draw over eight-tenths of an amp by itself.
    When you normally deal with 8-20A loads it is. ;)
    DMX, RDM, ArtNet, sACN, and RDMnet...the future of DIY Christmas.
    Designer of the PropController an open source single-board hardware platform designed for lighting and prop control.

Post Thanks / Like

Also, I had this problem when trying to use a cheap USB-RS232 converter. Must be a total POS, because dimming looked horrible.

Post Thanks / Like

you probably have half wave LED's. always check the box when purchasing LED's. Full wave have a nice dim to them.

Post Thanks / Like

I don't think you can get full-wave LED strings from the local stores.

But adding a single C9 to your LED strings will fix this problem. I run some cheapy LEDs on my display and noticed I only have this fading/flickering problem with the Ace Hardware 200ct LED C6 strings (4 strings in series).

Good luck,

Post Thanks / Like

Another thing you can try is using a terminator (resistor across the plug to give it more of a ghost load)...I've heard of this issue alot with LOR and dimming.....

A link to the terminator (provided by rhinoguy)http://www.crazylightlady.us/TerminatorsHow-To.html
    This is the year for my Mom.She passed away Feb 12 2012 and this year is dedicated to her and her memory.I will finally have it all finished and set to music all for her as I promised.Heres to you Mom (Dec 10,1944 - Feb 12,2012.I love you...

Now on the web [URL="http://kraftchekchristmaslights.webs.com/"]http://kraftchekchristmaslights.webs.com/[/URL]

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast