Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: My first attempt at mini tree

Post Thanks / Like

Default Re: My first attempt at mini tree

I only use one cage per tree, but I did add bailing wire up and down between the main vertical frame members. This definitely helps in keeping the circular shape. To help keep the lights in the correct location, I used one zip tie per wrap around the cage. Once these were on, I noticed that they would start to slip like what you were mentioning. Because of this, I went back and put a dab of hot glue on the zip ties from the inside of the cage. This held the light strings and zip ties in place. I've noticed that the "spreading" of the lights on the opposite side of the cage was not enough to warrant more zip ties and glue.

If you are putting more than one color of lights (more channels) per mini tree, I would highly suggest doing them all at once. Stretch out your lights (all colors) and start wrapping them at the same time. I made mine with Red, Green, Blue and White and this method worked well for me.

Post Thanks / Like

I too used just one cage but filled in the gaps with insulation joist hangers
    This is just a 24" (or 16") long steel wire that I bent top and bottom to catch the horizontal rings.
    A ty-wrap top and bottom hold them just fine
    The lights are ty-wrapped at each intersection of cage (verticals and horizontals)
    With the red and green run together.
    Used 300 lights on the 42", 200 on the mediums and 100 on the small trees.

Post Thanks / Like

Again thank you all,

I am so thankful for this wonderful community.

It is a blessing that people with this much experience and knowledge are so kind and helpful to newcomers.

Does anyone know off hand if,and what department, Lowes or HD sell bailing wire? I know what it is but have not seen it sold there.

Thanks again,
    Pax et Bonum,
    John

"Let your light shine before men in such a way that they may see your good works, and glorify your Father who is in heaven. " Matthew 5:15-17

Post Thanks / Like

I'd guess either in the fencing or in the section where they sell chain, wire rope, etc.

http://digwdf.com/store/
    The DIGWDF Store is closed for all sales. Thanks to everyone who supported us through the years!
    User guides, documentation and other files are still free and available for downloading.

Post Thanks / Like

I think that I found mine at Home Depot down in the section with the rebar.
    The dry cement mix was on the other side of the aisle.

Post Thanks / Like

You could also try domestics -- sometimes "clothes line wire" is available there, is often plastic coated in green, and might be another choice.

http://digwdf.com/store/
    The DIGWDF Store is closed for all sales. Thanks to everyone who supported us through the years!
    User guides, documentation and other files are still free and available for downloading.

Post Thanks / Like

Thanks again,

Off to get wire and a zip tie gun.

Its amazing how some don't use hardly any ties and others use lots of ties.
    Pax et Bonum,
    John

"Let your light shine before men in such a way that they may see your good works, and glorify your Father who is in heaven. " Matthew 5:15-17

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by reasonforseason View Post
    Does anyone know off hand if,and what department, Lowes or HD sell bailing wire? I know what it is but have not seen it sold there.

Thanks again,
    I think it is outside in the vinyl fencing & chain link fencing area. I know they have 1/16 wire cable in the chain & rope area. I think it's about .25 per ft though. It seems like there is the same style wire to hang pictures in the nut, bolt and screw area, maybe a cheaper option?
    Last edited by WakeFan; 12-02-2009 at 09:40 PM.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12