Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: My first attempt at mini tree

Post Thanks / Like

Angry My first attempt at mini tree

Did not go well at all. I am using 42 inch tomato cages doubled up.

I spent 3 hours rolling and unrolling lights, I could not keep the strings from sliding up the cage.:-x My zip ties were sliding too.

I ended with 500 lights on it and it wasn't even half way down.

Anyone have any advice? I tried rolling tight, rolling loose, no luck.

I might just get some chicken wire but not looking forward to extra work or expense.

Thanks in advance.
    John
    Pax et Bonum,
    John

"Let your light shine before men in such a way that they may see your good works, and glorify your Father who is in heaven. " Matthew 5:15-17

Post Thanks / Like

Default Re: My first attempt at mini tree

There is a decent how to in the wiki: http://www.doityourselfchristmas.com...tle=Mini_Trees

Post Thanks / Like

One thing that might help, if you're not doing it is, I extend the string completly and get the natural twist out of it. I do this by holding one end and someone holding the other end and lightly pulling on the string letting relax. Even then, they still want to try and slide up, so it is something you have to be aware of when moving them.
    James Family Christmas - 1600 channels of SS Renard channels
    Website - http://jamesfamilychristmas.com/ <<broken
    Facebook - James Family Christmas

Post Thanks / Like

Thanks Omzig,

Thats just what I needed. I've read that a bunch of times but forgot about the light setting part.

If I am using 2 colors do you think I should make marks double the width?
    Pax et Bonum,
    John

"Let your light shine before men in such a way that they may see your good works, and glorify your Father who is in heaven. " Matthew 5:15-17

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Wayne J View Post
    One thing that might help, if you're not doing it is, I extend the string completly and get the natural twist out of it. I do this by holding one end and someone holding the other end and lightly pulling on the string letting relax. Even then, they still want to try and slide up, so it is something you have to be aware of when moving them.
    Thanks Wayne, I need to do a better job with that too, I am using 200 length strings and it was a pain to keep untwisting.
    Pax et Bonum,
    John

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by reasonforseason View Post
    I might just get some chicken wire but not looking forward to extra work or expense.
    I use a single cage (same size as yours), with chicken wire wrapped around it. I cut the chicken wire in the shape of a trapezoid first (use Pi*D to get the length of the bottom, and taper to about 4" at the top). You get a few more pieces per roll due to not wasting much at the overlap. I only use about 4 zip ties per cage. The chicken wire keeps the strings in place very well. Wrapping with chicken wire takes more time at the start, but you save it by not having to zip tie every wrap.......... works out to about a wash on time and expense IMO.

Post Thanks / Like

I went up and down just could not get it right going around in circles. My 2cents worth.

John

Post Thanks / Like

I covered by cage with chicken wire first. It gave me something to wire tie the lights to and it helped with spacing as the chicken wire was spaced at one inch openings. I also used 42 inch cages and you don't have to double up.
    2 Grinchs, 2 Ren C's and a Ren T for 128 channels (in 2008)
    2 Ren64, 2 Ren24, 2 Ren24ss, 4 Ren16ss and 8 Ren8ss for 352 channels (currently)

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by dnesci View Post
    I covered by cage with chicken wire first. It gave me something to wire tie the lights to and it helped with spacing as the chicken wire was spaced at one inch openings. I also used 42 inch cages and you don't have to double up.
    same here
    [URL="http://lenoircitylights.com"]LenoirCityLights.com[/URL]
    2008: Ren64 XB
    2009: 2 Ren 64 XBs and 2 Ren24s

Post Thanks / Like

Here you can find few pictures how I made my mini tree
    http://christmasinallen.com/MiniTree.aspx
    [B]2009[/B] 88 channels (add SS24), 10.000 lights, 2 collor megatree, 12 mini trees, C9, floods
    [B]2008[/B] 64 channels (grinch+ren-c), 8.000 lights 12ft megatree
    [URL="http://www.christmasinallen.com"]http://www.ChristmasInAllen.com[/URL] for photo,video and how to DIYC

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast