Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Best light tester?

Post Thanks / Like

Default Re: Best light tester?

A mini-light actually is quite a marvel of engineering. The filament provides one method of connection; when it breaks or burns out, to keep the light string's continuity, a little thing near the base of the bulb called a "shunt" is then used which conducts the electricity through the bulb so the light string continues to function. This is why a light string works if a bulb burns out, but also why it won't work anymore if you remove the light from the socket.

The "zap" realigns and reconnects "shunts" that may also have gone bad. It's enough of an electrical jolt to cause it to reconnect again, thus, the light string works again.

http://digwdf.com/store/
    The DIGWDF Store is closed for all sales. Thanks to everyone who supported us through the years!
    User guides, documentation and other files are still free and available for downloading.

Post Thanks / Like

I had my doubts. I had seen the light keeper pro before, but dismissed it as junk - you know "the clapper", etc. But I picked one up based upon the recommendations here - and BY GOLLY - it works! Tested everything before it went up, found one strand half out before it went up and another half of one strand went out after it was up. I reluctantly opened the LKP box, read the instructions (not something I would normally do - but I didn't trust it from the start), pulled a bulb from the strand that didn't go up, plugged into the socket, pulled trigger - and LIGHTS! Climbed the ladder and had the other string fixed just as fast...

My 45 minute ordeal was done in < 5!

Thanks!

Post Thanks / Like

The LKP is one of the coolest little gizmos I've ever bought! With my PIC programmer, I think those are the two, best time-saving pieces of equipment I have. :D

http://digwdf.com/store/
    The DIGWDF Store is closed for all sales. Thanks to everyone who supported us through the years!
    User guides, documentation and other files are still free and available for downloading.

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123