Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Best light tester?

Post Thanks / Like

Default Best light tester?

It is that time now where all of the old lights come out of storage and get ready for another year's display. I'm sure I'm not the only one who has pulled out more than one strand of lights with a bad bulb or two. With that being said, what do most of you use to test your bulbs? I have used cheepo units from Walmart in the past, which work just fine, but I was also wondering if there is a "fully loaded" version of bulb testers with all of the bells and whistles.
    Thanks,
    Mike

Post Thanks / Like

Default Re: Best light tester?

Light Keeper Pro!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

http://lightkeeperpro.com/
    James Family Christmas - 1144 channels of SS Renard channels
    Website - http://jamesfamilychristmas.com/
    Facebook - James Family Christmas

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Wayne J View Post
    Light Keeper Pro!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

http://lightkeeperpro.com/

2nd that!!!!!

Post Thanks / Like

And a 3rd! The first time I saw it I thought, "Nah... that's a gimmick..." and I watched the promo video a couple times...

I talked to a guy in a store and he confirmed that it worked just like they said. But I still said, "Nah... can't be that simple."

But I bought one last year. I had a string of lights that hadn't worked in a couple years, and I thought that would put it to the test.

Two minutes later it was working after zapping it with the LP. Amazing.

My son tried it out by putting his finger in the LP's light socket and pulling the trigger. Gave him a nice shock! Pretty funny...
    www.diychristmas.org

Post Thanks / Like

DITTO!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Best 20 bux I spent on Christmas stuff. Can't tell you how much time it has saved me this year. I also saw them at Walmart, it wasn't sold as a light keeper pro but still 20 bux and looks just like it.

Post Thanks / Like

Just wanted to through this out there for FYI. You can make a make shift LKP with a spare push button ignitor for a gas grill. Hook the wires from the ignitor to a to a standard duplex outlet mounted in a plastic outlet box (the outlet has to be dedicated to this only, NO OTHER WIRES GOING TO THE OUTLET). Plug the light string in to this outlet and give a couple clicks. Plug the light string back into a regular outlet and you should have a working string again, unless you do what I did and forget to make sure there was a bulb in every socket before zapping it............

I have had a few finiky strings that wouldn't work even after initial zapping. I made up a extension cable that uses a plug end of an old light string with about 18 inches of wire left on it. Stripped 1/4" of insulation from the wires and inserted them into an old base that fits the string I am trying to fix. I can now insert this every few bulbs one at a time. Jump the plug end of the light string, which is unplugged (I use a large aligator clip for this) plug the extension into the Lite keeper outlet and give a couple of clicks. Take the extension out of the socket, put in a good bulb, take the jumper off the plug end and plug the string back into a regular outlet. It may take a couple of tries on a string with multiple bulbs out . Also don't do this if the string has it's own controler box on it as it will fry the controller.

Post Thanks / Like

I still swear by my buzz box.
    Think LKP on mega steroids.
    Replaced a lot of bad bulbs this year, but no dead strings.

Just set my buzz box down next to me while checking strings and they seem to know that if they mess with me they will get goosed with 30 thousand volts.

JOel
    If I no longer count channels... but instead say I have over 12 universes... Is that too many

Post Thanks / Like

Well then, that solves it. I am going to pick up one of these Light Keeper Pros.
    DITTO!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Best 20 bux I spent on Christmas stuff. Can't tell you how much time it has saved me this year. I also saw them at Walmart, it wasn't sold as a light keeper pro but still 20 bux and looks just like it.
    I think I know which one you are talking about. I have seen that same one for $20 that looks just like it.
    Thanks,
    Mike

Post Thanks / Like

James Family Christmas - 1144 channels of SS Renard channels
    Website - http://jamesfamilychristmas.com/
    Facebook - James Family Christmas

Post Thanks / Like

I just saw the LKP at Target for $13.99 (or 13 something).

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast