Thread: Last time on the rs232

Post Thanks / Like

Default Last time on the rs232

I want to build this tonight. I want to just make sure I am correct, so I get the rs232 male and female ends they are like 1.50 at my local electronics stor e, then just insert my rj45 cable in the proper pin conncetions. I have a free slot on my cpu so I do not need the usb adapter. Is that it or did i miss a step. If I do it this way I think then no jumper on jp1.

Thank you
    John

Post Thanks / Like

Default Re: Last time on the rs232

Just follow this ....
    PC DB9 Pin 3 to RJ45-pin 4
    PC DB9 Pin 5 to RJ45-pins 1,2,5 (pins 1 and 5 are required, pin 2 is optional).

Post Thanks / Like

For DE9 connectors, male and female, keep pin 3 to pin 3, and pin 5 to pin 5. Those are the only two wires needed for RS232 input on the DE9 connector of the board.
    Place a jumper on JP1 for RS232 input.
    James Family Christmas - 1144 channels of SS Renard channels
    Website - http://jamesfamilychristmas.com/
    Facebook - James Family Christmas

Post Thanks / Like

My bad I thought he was going DB9 to rj 45. ya like ive been wrong before lol

Post Thanks / Like

I think John does want to go to the RJ45, with RS-232 communication from a PC serial port. Just for the record, I built this DB9 to RJ45 cable, but a straight through DB9 M-F serial cable is the easiest thing to do. No cables to build - just plug it in. If you can get away with it (i.e. you have PC serial part and you are locating your controller within 50 ft of your PC) and you are not comfortable with building cables - use the serial cable.

But if you must, I am visual kinda guy, so here goes:

Note: This information is very specific to the Renard SS series. I do not know if this translates to other Renard boards.

Note 2: This information is for RS-232 communications ONLY. This information does not apply to RS-485 communications. Please see the wiki for the correct cables required for RS-485. While this example and RS-485 both use the incoming RJ45 jack, J2, the JP1 jumper should not be installed when using RS-485.

Note 3: This is the cable you need from a PC directly to a Renard SS controller - this is not the cable required for chaining controllers.

We are using RS-232 communication from the PCs DB9 serial port to the RJ45 connector on the Renard SS board. This is documented as an alternate connection in the wiki:

This is the cable you will need to build:

(click on the image to get a larger version)

In this example, I am using just two wires, a green and a yellow. The actual cable has two pair, but I only needed to use one pair.

The DB9 connector is a female connector. The green wire is connected to pin 3. The yellow wire is connected to pin 5.

Detailed image:

The RJ45 has the green wire connected to pin 4. The yellow wire is connected to pin 5. Note: I did not connect yellow wire to pins 1 and possibly 2 because, if you look at the SS schematic, putting the jumper in JP1 connects pins 1 and 2 to pin 5. (I am sure that RL and Wayne will jump in here and take some channels from me for doing this...)

Detailed image:

In the picture, you are looking down on the top of the RJ45, the locking tab is on the back of the connector. Pin 1 is at the top of this picture of the connector.

The DB9 connector will plug into the PCs 9-pin serial port. This is a male connector.

Detailed image:

The IOIOI label is letting you know this is a serial port, your PC may not have this specific label. It is a 9-pin male connector - not a 15-pin female connector. That connector is a VGA video connector - we can't use it. If you do not have a connection that looks like this on your PC, you will need an USB to RS-232 adapter. John said he had a free slot, I think (hope) he meant a free DB9 serial port. Most newer PCs do not have this port.

And then plug into the SS board J2 RJ45 sokkett (oops - I mean socket )

Detailed image:

Note the jumper is on JP1.

Assuming that you have Vixen configured correctly for your controller(s) and firmware (channels, COM port, and baud rate), you should be able to power everything up and run some sequences and have great pride in your blinky-flashy lights! And if you are like me, that is followed by the immediate panic of realizing you really have to finish the installation and sequencing!!!
    Last edited by rokkett; 11-07-2009 at 02:21 PM. Reason: Added a link to cable pin outs in the wiki.

Post Thanks / Like

Ok I like pictures thank you, what was throwing me off was the board side of the cable in your picture it goes to the ethernet cable not the db port on the board now I understand, now if I am at 30 feet with a straight serial cable I can still use the 56000 baud rate in vixen. and on the slot I think I do have the 9 pin if I am wrong I have some links to order the usb adapter. Wow thanks rokkett pictures made my day. Installation is gonna be key but sequencing I feel good about It have 11 songs done as of last night

John

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by olingerjccj View Post
    I want to build this tonight. I want to just make sure I am correct, so I get the rs232 male and female ends they are like 1.50 at my local electronics stor e, then just insert my rj45 cable in the proper pin conncetions.
    Thank you
    John
    I guess this threw me off. Sure sounded like he wanted to make a serial cable.
    Great little How To, Rokkett, thanks. ;)
    James Family Christmas - 1144 channels of SS Renard channels
    Website - http://jamesfamilychristmas.com/
    Facebook - James Family Christmas

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Wayne J View Post
    I guess this threw me off. Sure sounded like he wanted to make a serial cable.
    Great little How To, Rokkett, thanks. ;)
    Yes I do It will be a bit cheaper since i already have the cat 5 cable and the connectors just need the male side of the db cable. I was just curious on the 30 ft of straight serial will hold the 56000 baud rate.

Thanks
    John

Post Thanks / Like

I am sure there are much smarter people on here then me - but I believe the CAT5 cabling has a lower capacitance than the originally speced cabling, so yes, I would say you are safe with that speed and cable length....