Page 8 of 8 FirstFirst ... 678

Thread: Advice on controller to use with Vixen

Post Thanks / Like

Default Re: Advice on controller to use with Vixen

You may run into issues running C7 bulbs inside the candy cane melting the plastic since they tend to run warm.
    [COLOR=#000080][B][I]Brian[/I][/B][/COLOR]

[COLOR=#ff0000]Christmas in San Jose! - [URL="http://www.christmasinsj.com"]WEB[/URL] - [URL="https://www.facebook.com/ChristmasInSanJose"]FB[/URL] - [URL="https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PL1W78s7liEQEE0ed7WSyLF7B6j3lBX43w"]VIDEOS[/URL]
    [/COLOR][COLOR=#800080]Halloween in San Jose! - [URL="https://www.facebook.com/pages/Halloween-in-San-Jose/356280784428581?ref=tn_tnmn"]FB[/URL]
    [SIZE=1]2015 Halloween Show - Planning now - hopefully some house projection...
    2015 Christmas Show - 5x E681-12, 1x 6804, Ren48LSD, 3x RenSS16, 1x Falcon16v2 (w/expander), 24x90 WS2811 pixel MT (James MT Strips), 12x DIYC Floods, SuperPixelStar, 3x Pixel Arches, PixaBulb House outline
    [/SIZE]
    [/COLOR][SIZE=3][COLOR=#008000][I]Ignorance is Temporary [/I][/COLOR][COLOR=#800080][I]- [/I][/COLOR][COLOR=#ff0000][I]Stupidity is Forever[/I][/COLOR][COLOR=#800080][I]...[/I][/COLOR][/SIZE][I][COLOR=#ff0000]
    [/COLOR][/I]

On The Dark Side Of The Moon (Really, LI - NY)
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by budude View Post
    You may run into issues running C7 bulbs inside the candy cane melting the plastic since they tend to run warm.
    Oh, no no no. You read the post wrong. I was just saying that I saw a Christmas light package that looks like enlarged clear Christmas ornaments and I saw they were lit with C7 bulbs. I mentioned this as an ALTERNATIVE to the original idea of using candy canes. In no way shape or form would I try to stuff a C7 into the tubing of the candy cane lights. You probably got confused when I mentioned altering this set. Basically like the candy canes this set also has one plug for the three light fixtures that come with it. But unlike the candy canes this system has a parallel 110v system. Being a parallel hook up, it is easy to cut the wiring and put a plug on each fixture so I can give it it's own channel.

Geo

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Sky-Lights View Post
    You can still start to sequence ... and if the candy cane thingy does not work out to which ever way , or you , in the end , can't seem to find the other ones , you COULD always remove the lights from the ones you have ( most have a cap on the top end and a sort of cap on the bottom ) and replace them with a 20 count light strand and then you'll have your own candy canes done for your show .
    Hello Sky...

I took another trip to WalMart again tonight and it looked like they put even more Christmas items out. Quess what? This time they HAD the 20 light strings! They are the same price as the 35 light set that I found at Lowes ($1.50), but the big difference is in the length. The 35 light set is 8 ft long and the 25 light set is 5ft long. The candy canes I have are 29" tall, but there is about another 9" (or so) in the bend. So I get about 38" all around, that is more than 3ft. I should be able to get the last 2ft in there. We will see.

I also picked up some of those HUGE C9 bulb sets...the kind that you set along the walkway. Inside the huge outer plastic cover, sits an actual C7 bulb. So even though the four "bulbs" are connected together, they look to be in parallel. So with this set it is possible to divide it into single "bulb" channels.

I figure these will be a nice fall back on in the event something doesn't work out with the candy canes.

Now I bet I am going to go through all the trouble to restring these candy canes and another week later WalMart will have the single candy canes for sale!

Anyway time to get back to work programming vixen. I am almost done with my first song and hopefully will start the second one this weekend.

Geo

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by jukingeo View Post
    Hello Sky...
    I also picked up some of those HUGE C9 bulb sets...the kind that you set along the walkway. Inside the huge outer plastic cover, sits an actual C7 bulb. So even though the four "bulbs" are connected together, they look to be in parallel. So with this set it is possible to divide it into single "bulb" channels.
    I have two sets of those very same "bulbs" - pretty sure they are in parallel as you say...
    [COLOR=#000080][B][I]Brian[/I][/B][/COLOR]

[COLOR=#ff0000]Christmas in San Jose! - [URL="http://www.christmasinsj.com"]WEB[/URL] - [URL="https://www.facebook.com/ChristmasInSanJose"]FB[/URL] - [URL="https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PL1W78s7liEQEE0ed7WSyLF7B6j3lBX43w"]VIDEOS[/URL]
    [/COLOR][COLOR=#800080]Halloween in San Jose! - [URL="https://www.facebook.com/pages/Halloween-in-San-Jose/356280784428581?ref=tn_tnmn"]FB[/URL]
    [SIZE=1]2015 Halloween Show - Planning now - hopefully some house projection...
    2015 Christmas Show - 5x E681-12, 1x 6804, Ren48LSD, 3x RenSS16, 1x Falcon16v2 (w/expander), 24x90 WS2811 pixel MT (James MT Strips), 12x DIYC Floods, SuperPixelStar, 3x Pixel Arches, PixaBulb House outline
    [/SIZE]
    [/COLOR][SIZE=3][COLOR=#008000][I]Ignorance is Temporary [/I][/COLOR][COLOR=#800080][I]- [/I][/COLOR][COLOR=#ff0000][I]Stupidity is Forever[/I][/COLOR][COLOR=#800080][I]...[/I][/COLOR][/SIZE][I][COLOR=#ff0000]
    [/COLOR][/I]

Post Thanks / Like

Default Candy Canes are a go!

Edit: Candy canes are a go!

Yup! Those 20 light strings from WalMart were just what the DR. ordered. Even though the string is longer and there are 5 more bulbs than each branch of the original light set that came with the candy canes, it still fit fine.

What I did was fold each bulb back on its side towards the main wiring leaving about a good 3/4" or so of the wiring going in that direction. This effectively reduced the between bulb spacing and I managed to shrink the 5 foot string down to around the 3 feet needed to fit in the candy cane.

So thank you again, Sky-Lights, for the tip off. I just HOPE that I don't see the individual candy canes at Wal-Mart as I do intend to make more trips there and I am sure they will put more and more out before Thanksgiving. As it is, this was a more expensive route to go (if the individual candy canes sold at WalMart were going for $2.50 each), but knowing that it can be done now sure beats twiddling my thumbs HOPING when and if Wal-Mart stocks those candy canes.

Now with my first song done and the candy canes back on, I am thinking that my show COULD use some kind of centerpiece (something to put in between and/or over the candy canes) I do have four extra channels as I only programmed for 12 thus far.

Quote Originally Posted by budude View Post
    I have two sets of those very same "bulbs" - pretty sure they are in parallel as you say...
    Well, usually there are two dead giveaways to a "series" wired set.

1) Visual inspection of the wiring: If one wire is sent past (or through) the lamp socket and goes to the end of the set then it is wired in series. If two wires go into a lamp socket and two wires come out, then it is parallel.

2) Pull a bulb out: While series lamp sets are designed today to burn out with the filament intact, if you pull out the bulb completely, the entire light set will go out (unless it is a multi-channel set, in this case the entire branch would go out, but the other branches would remain lit). This is another indicator of a series set. So if you pull one bulb out completely and all the rest stay lit, then that is a clear indicator you have a parallel set.

I performed this test on that large "C9" set, and the rest of the lamps DID stay lit. Also, to seal the deal, I looked at the bulb itself and it does say "120v 5w". So that in itself verifies the set as parallel.

The 5w bulbs are a bit on the dim side for my project, I think I am going to up them to 7watt bulbs. I don't think that will have ill effects on the set as for some reason, they have the set protected at 5 amps. Thus the string could withstand 500watts (probably for chaining).

Edit:

As I indicated above, my issue with the candy canes has been resolved and they are on again for my main show. So as of now, I am not sure if I am going to keep the large C9 bulbs or not. I think I am because these bulbs are very easy to convert to individual channels and they were cheap.

Geo
    Last edited by jukingeo; 11-13-2009 at 04:56 PM. Reason: Candy Canes are a go!

Page 8 of 8 FirstFirst ... 678