Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Netbooks and Vixen

Post Thanks / Like

Default Re: Netbooks and Vixen

Another update on use of HP 1000 Mini Netbook - Netbook is looking good!

It appears that all Vixen versions that I have run on my Dell XPS desktop work the same on the HP 1000 Mini Netbook. This includes 2.0 Beta 4, 2.1.0, 2.1.3, 2.5.0.5 and 2.5.0.6.

That is to say, when a sequence works fine on my XPS, it works the same on the netbook. When I see a Vixen error on my XPS, I also see it on my netbook. I cannot remember anytime the netbook performed differently than the desktop.

I am gaining more confidence in the netbook as my Vixen controlller. I also scheduled a program and ran it through once on the netbook using the programs/manage and schedule menus. Started up on time and finished correctly.

Still have to test quality of audio through V-FM01 transmitter.

Post Thanks / Like

Last year (or was it 2 years ago) Animated Lighting tried to pass off their 'Monster Brain PC' as something big. It is nothing more than a cheap netbook with XP running over-priced Animation Director.

The best part: It's only $750.
    -Mike
    [URL="http://www.LandoLights.com"]www.LandoLights.com[/URL]
    [URL="http://www.sequencecenter.com"]www.SequenceCenter.com[/URL] --> Vixen/LOR Sequences and More

Post Thanks / Like

Well I have thouroughly tested the HP 1000 Mini Netbook and it rates excellent in all areas except audio quality. Vixen versions ran just fine and drove dimmer boards OK. Adjustable preview works fine. The XP OS does just fine in keeping up. Very impressed.

Issue is that audio has no low end. When played through quality stereo system, the 500 Hz and lower bands were very weak. When same sequence with audio was played through a regular laptop (i.e., Dell Inspiron) or desktop XPS, the audio was execellent in all freq bands.

I want to feed the audio chain with the best quality possible since my previous testing of the V-FM01 transmitter confirms that it can handle a higher quality audio feed and get it into the cars on the street. The mini netbook just can't seem to cut it. Too bad. Possibly another netbook has a better audio card (or integrated audio system).

In summary, I will not be using the HP 1000 Mini netbook as my host computer this year.

Post Thanks / Like

Lightman, have you thought about some of the external, USB sound cards that are available? I don't know how many USB ports those little netbooks have, but there are some really good USB recording products out there that are very powerful. Just an idea... unfortunately, they all cost $$$.... dang... that issue keeps popping up, doesn't it? arghhhh...

http://digwdf.com/store/
    The DIGWDF Store is closed for all sales. Thanks to everyone who supported us through the years!
    User guides, documentation and other files are still free and available for downloading.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by dirknerkle View Post
    Lightman, have you thought about some of the external, USB sound cards that are available? I don't know how many USB ports those little netbooks have, but there are some really good USB recording products out there that are very powerful. Just an idea... unfortunately, they all cost $$$.... dang... that issue keeps popping up, doesn't it? arghhhh...
    Didn't know about external USB sound cards. I will investigate.

I assume that they will take the digital MP3 and pass it directly to the external sound card via the USB port and then process to analog signal in external card. I don't want it processed by the internal integrated sound processor. Roll off is just too great.

Regarding the external recording devices, as I am pretty well equiped in that area, but always watching the market. Just installed SONAR 8 DAW as an upgrade to my other Cakewalk products.

Thanks for the advice.

Post Thanks / Like

Wow! I did a quick search and found the following Turtle Beach sound module that looks like a thumb drive. Costs $34 and has stereo analog output that claims high quality audio. That seems like a reasonable price to improve the netbook audio.

I will give it a try.

http://www.circuitcity.com/applicati...y=REVIEWS#tabs

Thanks for the tip dirknerkle! Didn't know these existed.

Post Thanks / Like

Always glad to help folks spend more $$$ if I can!!!

Turtle Beach makes some nice gear, and they certainly have a good name in the computer sound equipment arena.

You use Sonar and a DAW? Which DAW? I use a Tascam 2488 to do most of my mastering...along with a handful of PCs, too... It's really been a workhorse for me and I haven't had one problem with it in 3 years.

You do a lot of recording?

http://digwdf.com/store/
    The DIGWDF Store is closed for all sales. Thanks to everyone who supported us through the years!
    User guides, documentation and other files are still free and available for downloading.

Post Thanks / Like

The netbooks typically seem to have three USB ports.
    Phil

Post Thanks / Like

Always glad to help folks spend more $$$ if I can!!!

Turtle Beach makes some nice gear, and they certainly have a good name in the computer sound equipment arena.

You use Sonar and a DAW? Which DAW? I use a Tascam 2488 to do most of my mastering...along with a handful of PCs, too... It's really been a workhorse for me and I haven't had one problem with it in 3 years.

I have a Yamaha AW16G 16 track recorder and mixer. Mastering can be done in unit then mixed down to stereo track. You can burn straight to CD... making demos very easy. I also use Cakewalk (now SONAR 8) to do audio editing. I do a lot of robotic work in MIDI, so having a MIDI recorder built in is kind of nice.

Post Thanks / Like

Yes, in fact one of my sequence songs is a recording made by my daughter ~ 6 years ago...Silver Bells. It was recorded on a synthesizer and then converted the piano voice to bells. Works really well for a light show.

I also just finished a recording of my daughters singing a duet at my nephew's wedding. Came back home and did a session in the home studio. Turned out great.

How about you? (prob should take this to PM)

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast