Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Wizards Of Winter How to do this

Post Thanks / Like

IMHO,

Go with the GRINCH, it has only 4 ICs and is a sinch to build. While it is 64 channels, you could start off with just using 16 or 32 channels, and get a feel for the hardware.

To start with, think about your house, where did you put lights last year and what would you like to do this year.

This will give you some ideas of where your lights can go and the logical assignment of lights to groups and channels (defn: a Group is a set of lights that make a logical relationship i.e. 4 candy canes - Channel one controlleed output connect to one or more sets of lights.

Select you music. Get something you like, and listen to it many, many times. get a feel for the chorus, where the instuments come in, etc Have a look on the wiki for the guide to designing a sequence.

download Vixen. Ask questions in the forum from the experience programmers. get started writing a few routines.

Talk a picture of the front of your house. Usie this in Preveiw with Vixen to help layout the display.

Order the PCBs and parts.

Sort out, buy extra and test your lights.

Do some test runs inside your home with a few channels.

Hang your lights and connect up the controllers and SSRs

Launch the Program is Vixen

Stand back and Enjoy....

John.
    [B]John[/B]
    [url]www.xmasinmelb.com[/url] General Site
    [url]www.xmasinmelb.com/zencart/[/url] Online Store

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Omnicef Guest

Quote Originally Posted by wjohn
    IMHO,

Go with the GRINCH, it has only 4 ICs and is a sinch to build. While it is 64 channels, you could start off with just using 16 or 32 channels, and get a feel for the hardware.

To start with, think about your house, where did you put lights last year and what would you like to do this year.

This will give you some ideas of where your lights can go and the logical assignment of lights to groups and channels (defn: a Group is a set of lights that make a logical relationship i.e. 4 candy canes - Channel one controlleed output connect to one or more sets of lights.

Select you music. Get something you like, and listen to it many, many times. get a feel for the chorus, where the instuments come in, etc Have a look on the wiki for the guide to designing a sequence.

download Vixen. Ask questions in the forum from the experience programmers. get started writing a few routines.

Talk a picture of the front of your house. Usie this in Preveiw with Vixen to help layout the display.

Order the PCBs and parts.

Sort out, buy extra and test your lights.

Do some test runs inside your home with a few channels.

Hang your lights and connect up the controllers and SSRs

Launch the Program is Vixen

Stand back and Enjoy....

John.

And if this sounds real quick, It just sounds that way. But it is addictive. I am almost finished making all my boards and dist boaxes and am now into testing and programming. I hope I make it in time. :D

Post Thanks / Like

I am also new and want to get some opinions about something. Use LED or standard lights? I like the power savings of LED, but am concerned about brightness. Can they be dimmed the same as standard lights? Thanks for any thoughts.

Omnicef Guest

I have heard of the LEDs being dimmed. Root around and you can find info on that. Regarding the brightness, it is a matter fo what you buy. Most are pretty good for what you want. The hard part to swallow is the price to set a display up. While you will save in the electric use, and therefor your bill, the upfront cost is a few times more than minilights. As I had to start from square one and the outlay for parts and lights was getting up there, I elected to go with minilights and then start swapping out to LEDs as I can. I am not into dimming at this time so I am not really focusing on that. Have fun!

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by sotodesler
    I like the power savings of LED, but am concerned about brightness. Can they be dimmed the same as standard lights?
    It depends on the LEDs being used. Some dim better than others. Some don't dim properly. The LED sets from www.creativedisplays.com are supposed to work with dimming. It's not clear to me what you concerns with brightness are. LED sets are very bright. Some of the colors are very striking.

TED

Post Thanks / Like

If you use a design such as the Renard with PWM code installed, it should dim LEDs fine. It depends on the LED string, really.

-Matt

Post Thanks / Like

So, I went to the wiki looking for the Grinch plans but apparently he is living up to his name, and stole them from the wiki. It says there was supposed to be a document attached. Could someone email it, or post it someplace it can get toggen? (Found the Grinch plans at the Grinch Forum)

Also, I think I poorly soldered a couple of wires together in the 5th grade, so, is it reasonable that I can build all this stuff?

Is it possible to buy stuff so I can start sequencing being that there is 41 days 18 hours 53 hours and 43..no 42.. wait ..41 .... no 40 seconds left!!

Finally, I have not seen a single ssr for less than 10 bucks. Anyone have a pile left over from a coop we could chat about?

Has anyone used Vixen with the Phidgets API for their interface boards? Being that I didn't know what DIY stood for until AFTER I ordered 2 0/0/4 relay boards, I should probably use them for a sweet little 8 channel show this year.

http://www.phidgets.com/Thanks, and I am really excited.

Post Thanks / Like

So, I went to the wiki looking for the Grinch plans but apparently he is living up to his name, and stole them from the wiki. It says there was supposed to be a document attached. Could someone email it, or post it someplace it can get toggen?
    Go to the Grinch forum, all the info is contained there.

Also, I think I poorly soldered a couple of wires together in the 5th grade, so, is it reasonable that I can build all this stuff?
    Assembly of coop boards on this site is a snap. Your soldering skill will improve as you go. Of course results may vary. :D
    This thread contains a very helpful link: http://www.doityourselfchristmas.com...opic.php?t=859

Finally, I have not seen a single ssr for less than 10 bucks. Anyone have a pile left over from a coop we could chat about?
    Parts for the coop SSRs mainly used here add up to about 10 bucks alone and then board is about another $1-$2. The coop SSRs give you 4 channels so that works out to $2.50-$3 per channel, not so bad.
    RavingLunatic
    Not just a username but a state of mind

Post Thanks / Like

It has been my experience that the images posted into the forum directly have not always appeared unless you log in first.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12