Page 1 of 48 12311 ... LastLast

Thread: Introducting "The Mighty Mini" RGB + W LED Flood

Post Thanks / Like

Default Introducting "The Mighty Mini" RGB + W LED Flood

After spending some time poking over some LED options, and needing to get a very specific LED flood for my use - I decided to create my own.

I have 6 150 watt Regent Flood lights currently, and wanted to be able use them as holders for the LED floods.

The manufacturers page on the floodlight is here: http://www.cooperlighting.com/common...logen&id=11963

New 8mm LEDs are availible in both .5 watt and 1 watt LEDs and hae an MCD of around 100,000 to 200,000. I purchased some .5 watt 8 of the 8mm white LEDs to use as replacements for my LED strobes this year, and was quite impressed with both its brightness, and the overall spread of the light. The LED seller I have found that is selling these LED's is USA based, and has very reasonable LED prices. I am expecting a full shipment of R G B and WW leds in 2-3 days for a full demo version with photo's and videos. The 8mm straw hat LEDs has a viewing angle of 140 degrees, however, if a spot light is needed, 10mm 40 degree .5w LEDs are availible on eBay.

I did a few tests with the white LEDs, and in sets of 12 they are able to light up about 1/2 of the front of my house at a distance of 10 feet from the house.

The flood is setup for 24v DC operation, with each channel requiring 200ma of current at 24v with the .5 watt leds, and 600 ma per channel with the 1 watt leds.

At the bottom of each floodlight are two screw holes that are used for mounting the halogen bulb, once removed, these are drilled out and a 1.5standoff can be used do directly bolt the PCB to the housing, without needing to modify or replace the existing glass to mount the PCB.

The PCB is single sided, and am expecting to open up a co-op soon if interest is warranted. The PCB will be a white PCB to aid in the reflectivity of the LEDs. PCB is a double sided PCB, with a silkscreen on both sides. One side will be indicated for common ground operation (Ren24 LV) and one side for common positive (DC SSR, LOR DC16 or D-Light DC)

There are 16 Red LEDs, 12 Green LEDs, 12 Blue LEDs, and 12 White LED's.

All resistors are 1W. There are 2 56 ohm resistors, 2 18 ohm resistors, and 4 15 ohm resistors.

The board is set up for a common + connection, however, for a common - connection, all that is required is to turn the LED's around.

General Board:

Schematic:
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by kostyun; 08-27-2009 at 01:53 PM.

Post Thanks / Like

Default Re: Introducting "The Mighty Mini" RGB + W LED Flood

Very interesting Frank. I'd like a closer look at the way you setup the the attachment to the light casing when you get your test setup. Some pics or video of it on your house would be great too.

Are you going to coop the LEDs or do we need to buy those direct? Can you share the seller information?

Ron
    [URL="http://www.christmasingreatwood.com"]www.christmasingreatwood.com[/URL]

Post Thanks / Like

Interesting.....VERY interesting!!

Can these be driven off any controller, with DC SSR's?

R

Post Thanks / Like

Frank, these are very similar to my own 150W design ( well I use 10mm 0.5W LEDs and it is only an prototype).

However, I did something slightly different that you may also consider.
    I ended up doing the following:

gnd-/\/\/\/--|>|----|>|----|>|--/\/\/\/--+12volts

By having 2 resistors per string, I can set them up for 12V, 24V, 36 or 48v operation by omitting a resistor and adding a link on the back.

Cheers
    Matt
    [B][I]Matt[/I][/B]

You too can become a Supporting member of DIYC.
    Check it out [URL="http://doityourselfchristmas.com/forums/payments.php"]here[/URL]

I record my Blinky Flashy travels here: [URL="http://MyNoelLights.com"]MyNoelLights.com[/URL]

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Matt_Edwards View Post
    Frank, these are very similar to my own 150W design ( well I use 10mm 0.5W LEDs and it is only an prototype).
    This will also fit the 10mm .5w LEDs - I did make sure there was enough spacing for them.

Quote Originally Posted by Matt_Edwards View Post
    gnd-/\/\/\/--|>|----|>|----|>|--/\/\/\/--+12volts

By having 2 resistors per string, I can set them up for 12V, 24V, 36 or 48v operation by omitting a resistor and adding a link on the back.
    I have been toying with that idea also, but I would almost certainly have to go to a two layer board - I'm currently at a single layer. Posting the designs also allows me to get a bit of feedback also - might get some ideas that I might have missed. I have a two layer one drawn up for 12v also.

Post Thanks / Like

Created a test video of the Mighty Mini RGB + W Flood - and I will say - it is BRIGHT!!!! Lights up about front of the house!

Couple of changes I want to make:

Add an additional strip of Red LEDs, and use 1/2 warm white and 1/2 cool white LEDs.

Post Thanks / Like

Updated the description of the board, updated drawings, and posted resistor requirements.

Post Thanks / Like

Frank,

I'm interested in participating with a CO-OP
    Cheers!
    Steve

Learn 1 new thing everyday.

"AURBO" -- Aurora Borealis

My weather today

Chat link | Christmas Wiki link

Post Thanks / Like

Co-Op PCB cost would be about $4.00/board in a QTY of 100 boards.

Boy.. my house is going to be BRIGHT with these and the Strip Floods!!!!

The LED seller is CeCe LEDs on ebay.

http://stores.shop.ebay.com/cece718_...34Q2ec0Q2em322
    Last edited by kostyun; 08-11-2009 at 02:32 PM.

Post Thanks / Like

I'm interested too Frank.

What LED did you use for the test, the .5 watt or 1 watt?

Ron
    [URL="http://www.christmasingreatwood.com"]www.christmasingreatwood.com[/URL]

Page 1 of 48 12311 ... LastLast