Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Helix main board enclosure

Pearland, Tx (sometimes) and anywhere on the globe the rest of the time
    Post Thanks / Like

Default Re: Helix main board enclosure

Quote Originally Posted by budude View Post
    Will a 1500 house a daughter board and 4 or 8 SSR boards (and power cables)? I'm trying to reduce some of the Cat5 runs and I'm thinking one of these would be good to run my arches (which I still need to build... argh!) out in the yard.

Brian
    CAT5 is cheap compared to extension cords!!!! for every foot of CAT5 you save, you could spent 4' of extension cord.
    WLC Ventures is now [URL="http://radiant-holidays.com"]Radiant Holidays![/URL]

Post Thanks / Like

Yeah - extension cord saving of course too! I'm just thinking of the look of my yard with all the cords - less of both type is a good thing...
    [COLOR=#000080][B][I]Brian[/I][/B][/COLOR]

[COLOR=#ff0000]Christmas in San Jose! - [URL="http://www.christmasinsj.com"]WEB[/URL] - [URL="https://www.facebook.com/ChristmasInSanJose"]FB[/URL] - [URL="https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PL1W78s7liEQEE0ed7WSyLF7B6j3lBX43w"]VIDEOS[/URL]
    [/COLOR][COLOR=#800080]Halloween in San Jose! - [URL="https://www.facebook.com/pages/Halloween-in-San-Jose/356280784428581?ref=tn_tnmn"]FB[/URL]
    [SIZE=1]2015 Halloween Show - Planning now - hopefully some house projection...
    2015 Christmas Show - 5x E681-12, 1x 6804, Ren48LSD, 3x RenSS16, 1x Falcon16v2 (w/expander), 24x90 WS2811 pixel MT (James MT Strips), 12x DIYC Floods, SuperPixelStar, 3x Pixel Arches, PixaBulb House outline
    [/SIZE]
    [/COLOR][SIZE=3][COLOR=#008000][I]Ignorance is Temporary [/I][/COLOR][COLOR=#800080][I]- [/I][/COLOR][COLOR=#ff0000][I]Stupidity is Forever[/I][/COLOR][COLOR=#800080][I]...[/I][/COLOR][/SIZE][I][COLOR=#ff0000]
    [/COLOR][/I]

Pearland, Tx (sometimes) and anywhere on the globe the rest of the time
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by budude View Post
    Yeah - extension cord saving of course too! I'm just thinking of the look of my yard with all the cords - less of both type is a good thing...

its a balance of both.. lol! but that is why I used brown cords and green CAT5! We don't get snow down my way.
    WLC Ventures is now [URL="http://radiant-holidays.com"]Radiant Holidays![/URL]

Post Thanks / Like

Ha-ha, brian...we are at the same point. I am building my arches now, also. Making 2 150-light strings out of 3 100-light strings. 8 segments on 15' PVC pipes. One done, 4 or 5 to go...

I bought the Keptel enclosures that will hold two SSRNeons, for the arches, and I think I can squeeze 4 of them in there, without heatsinks. Hope so, anyway.

R

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by 51fordf2 View Post
    Oops, mine are the 1000's too. They'll work just fine, already checked with my boards. I wish I had bought 1 of the 1500's, as it's a very tight fit with the transmitter. Might have to get one of the 1500's, after I see how it is with the wiring.

R
    My basic plan was to use a 1500 for the Network Controller and FM transmitter. Then use the 1000 series for the Network Nodes. I'm planning on using a masonite back panel to mount the boards.

I don't have a good solution for the daughter boards yet. Anyone have any ideas?
    Greg

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by gmbartlett View Post
    I don't have a good solution for the daughter boards yet. Anyone have any ideas?
    Sure wish I had thought about the transmitter before I ordered. I got 12 of the 1000's, and will be using them for the daughterboards as well. Might have to put the xmtr in a separate box, or order a 1500...drats!!

R

Post Thanks / Like

Wow... what did I start here :?

One more thing, has anyone figured out an enclosure for the little XBee Explorer USB board that connects to the computer?
    I was thinking along the lines of using a small plastic project case and use a piece of perfboard that has holes to match the box and then mount the board to the perfboard.
    Since this is an RF transmitter, the box and materials used to mount it need to be non-metalic... or does anyone make a box specifically for this module?

Robert

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by gmbartlett View Post
    My basic plan was to use a 1500 for the Network Controller and FM transmitter. Then use the 1000 series for the Network Nodes. I'm planning on using a masonite back panel to mount the boards.

I am thinking of building my daughter boards with "top entry" RJ45 jacks instead of the side entry type; this makes it easier in my opinion to get the cables on and off.
    This way you can have a smaller enclosure since you don't need to worry about having enough space around the perimeter of the board for cables and such.
    Last year I built my equipment this way and it was much easier to get the cables in the enclosures ;)
    Anyways, with this in mind I was thinking of something like this http://www.yourbroadbandstore.com/pr...php?pid=714748

I also came up with the idea of adapting one of my 16 channel SSR designs to be able to directly connect to the Helix main board and not use the daughter boards at all.
    I will be running 32 channels on my mega-tree this year, so I will have two of these 16 channel boards daisy chained together for 32 channels and this may be a good solution for me. Think of it as half a Grinch board with the SSR's built in.

Robert

Post Thanks / Like

I think that the AG-43 case is sort of neat.
    Phil

Post Thanks / Like

Okay here is a 1000 enclosure(had one extra). The wire connectors. the board sitting on connectors.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    • File Type: jpg 2.jpg (93.0 KB, 79 views)
    • File Type: jpg 3.jpg (82.7 KB, 64 views)
    • File Type: jpg 1.jpg (148.7 KB, 67 views)

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast