Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234

Thread: Metal-free mini tree

Post Thanks / Like

Default Re: Metal-free mini tree

Nicely done, wonko!!! A perfect DIY implementation that worked great!

http://digwdf.com/store/
    The DIGWDF Store is closed for all sales. Thanks to everyone who supported us through the years!
    User guides, documentation and other files are still free and available for downloading.

Post Thanks / Like

Well I might as well jump in too!

I made 3 sizes of trees, 2' 4' and 6' tall. with the exception of the 4' trees they are all metal free. They all woked great with no problems this past year.

The 2' trees have 3 legs 2' long and 3 peices 8" long for the base. I made a jig for the drill press and drilled 1/4" holes for zip ties to go through. The top holes are rotated 90deg of the botom holes. Place one zip tie in the tops of three legs and snug them up together. Not tight, I came back once the bottom was done and tighten them to lock it all in place. Now place 2 zip ties in each of the bottom holes and add the 8" parts. You will make a 3 sided pyramid. Install 100 mini's and go to town. I made 58 of these last year.

The 4' trees are similar to the 2' trees but they have 4 legs. I ended up making a jig to bend 1/2" emt conduit. Real simple jig that you hook the conduit to and walk around it to roll or bend the conduit. Flip it over and do the other end you make an "S" shape that yeilds 2 16" hoops. I cut them apart, hammered the ends flat, drilled a hole and used a 1/4" bolt and nut to keep it together. I used self taping screws and screwed through the legs and into the metal hoop. These have 200 each R, G, B, & W.

The 6' trees have 6 legs, and I used 3 peices of 12" long pipe as a intermediate brace since the lights could crush the pipe. I used two wraps of 3/4" irrigation tubing to form the 24" hoop base. Zip tied it all together and added a lot of lights. 8 Channels all together. 5 segments of white lights for up and down movement, and 300 each RGB.

Here is a pic of the trees:

This is a pic of the 6' trees

They look great from the viewing area at my home.

James
    Last edited by james70818; 04-13-2011 at 11:46 PM.
    Website - <a href="http://www.BoscoyoStudio.com" target="_blank">Boscoyo Studio</a>
    Facebook - <a href="https://www.facebook.com/pages/Hohensee-Family-Christmas-Lights/1379680168919312" target="_blank">Hohensee Family Lights</a>

Post Thanks / Like

James, I noticed in your pictures the artwork on your cg-2000 enclosures. Would like to see a close up pic of the enclosure... You are just all that!

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by mlkren View Post
    James, I noticed in your pictures the artwork on your cg-2000 enclosures. Would like to see a close up pic of the enclosure... You are just all that!
    Tada:

I ran out of time and about half of my enclosures didn't get the lables. Then I started thinking, I might not want to draw attention to the enclosures! They also have a Danger High Voltage sticker on top that is yellow.

James
    Website - <a href="http://www.BoscoyoStudio.com" target="_blank">Boscoyo Studio</a>
    Facebook - <a href="https://www.facebook.com/pages/Hohensee-Family-Christmas-Lights/1379680168919312" target="_blank">Hohensee Family Lights</a>

Post Thanks / Like

That is SO cool!!

James

P.S.
    Great name!!!

Post Thanks / Like

Hey James, that is awesome! Where did you get the tree logo? I have been wanting to put the diy tree on some of my creations. Did you make your own decals or have them printed somewhere?

Post Thanks / Like

Hi:
    I use 10" or 12" spikes for stakes. You can get them at Lowes or Home Depot and a lot of hardware stores or most lumber yards. There are several lengths and diameters available and they are a lot cheaper than the same spike sold as "Tent Stakes" (which can be used, too.) I have also found them at some Flea Markets at RV supply booths, etc.

In place of zip ties, I save all the little plastic/wire ties from cords, etc and use them. I think they are called Twist Ties. They come in some garbage bag boxes, too. You can buy a roll of these and cut them to length. Takes a little more time, but cheaper than zip ties. Oh, yes, they're used on the minilight strings.

I keep telling you guys, I'm "El Cheapo Numero Uno". Maybe I'll change my name from Idunbenhad to El Cheapo!
    [B][I][U]Idun[/U][/I][/B]

[IMG]http://www.vixenlights.com/sig/sig_h.php/152/136.gif[/IMG]

[B]Lotsa' Patience![/B] (Some days you can't win, the others you lose, and forget about the rest)

[B]Some mornings I wake up GRUMPY and other days I let her sleep![/B]

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by CaptKirk View Post
    This is darn cool! Thank you for sharing. I was wondering- if you did the light wrap vertically, instead of horizontally, couldn't you make it a three legger saving on one set of PVC? Or am I missing something about the light estetics??

THX!
    Yes you can, I've seen it done. Also seen strung horizontally back and forth without going around the back. Most people go all the way around so they look the same driving up (side view) as out front. Some feel the extra lights in back make it look fuller. But you can do anything you want, as long as you tell us about it and why you like it. Then someone will ask for pictures too! Have Fun!!

Brian
    2009 - 48 channel MegaTree 4800 lights
    plus 3200 lights static display.
    2010 - 6 Snowflakes on heavy equipment stored in front yard :-(
    2011 - 72 channel Megatree 7520 lights,
    120 channel total about 10k lights total

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234