Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: 595 Test

Post Thanks / Like

Default 595 Test

Here's my first attempt to test out my just built 595 board [board v 2.4.1], Recent parts coop.

Is there something really messed up with this sequence? Every time I run it, something different happens. It sort of goes through the LEDs in sequence, but theres some weird hopping around and other strange behavior too.

Sequence is 64 seconds long, each second should light up 1 channel and go to the next. I used 1000 ms resolution for the file. No SSR boards are built or connected.

David
    Attached Files Attached Files

Post Thanks / Like

Try changing the settings of you lpt port in the bios. I think most have had sucess with it set to EPP.

Post Thanks / Like

Ok changed from ECP to EPP in bios. Device Manager still lists it as an ECP port, but there's no way to change it there. XP Pro SP2 fwiw.

I made a new sequence. 2.5 seconds all odd channels, 2.5 seconds all even channels, set to loop.

If I wait long enough it will actually work for 15-20 seconds. then it seems to go random. All on, some one some off, just plain weird stuff.

Oh yeah, I'm running Vixen 2.0.3.2
    Attached Files Attached Files

Post Thanks / Like

Default May sound stupid but!!

ou need to reset the bios then reset the computer for changes to take place I think.
    Sounds simple but to obivious.
    Hope it works

Post Thanks / Like

Default Re: May sound stupid but!!

Quote Originally Posted by Doug-in-the-woods
    ou need to reset the bios then reset the computer for changes to take place I think.
    Sounds simple but to obivious.
    Hope it works
    I didn't think it was possible to change bios settings without rebooting. On my PC, , reboot, press F2 for setup, tweak values, save and exit which reboots, and then let the system come up normally.

My biggest problem is that it seems totally random. If some of the channels, or all failed the same way every time it was run I'd know where to start looking.

I suspect the best diagnostict technique would be to scope the LPT input into the 595 board, but I don't have a scope, only several basic multi meters.

Post Thanks / Like

Default Set the Bios to EPP

See this thread, I had pretty much the exact same problems you are describing.

http://www.doityourselfchristmas.com...opic.php?t=340

The solution was to change to EPP mode.

Notice in the edit of the final entry that I not only had to change the port to EPP, but I also had to change it to "Enabled" from "Auto" I am running a Dell. DOn't know if that is standard configuration for all makes and models, but it was with mine.

The Auto mode only triggers EPP configuration if the item plugged into the parallel port is plug and play and requires EPP mode. These boards are not plug and play but do work much better with EPP. By changing the setting to "Enabled", it forces the parallel port to always communicate in EPP mode.

My description of Auto and Enabled may not be spot on, but the actions and results are. Set to EPP and if you have an option in the BIOS between "Auto, Enabled, Disabled", select Enabled.

Try this first. It is much easier than an OSCOPE and multi-meter :D .

Steve

Post Thanks / Like

Default Re: Set the Bios to EPP

Quote Originally Posted by scharbon
    Notice in the edit of the final entry that I not only had to change the port to EPP, but I also had to change it to "Enabled" from "Auto" I am running a Dell. DOn't know if that is standard configuration for all makes and models, but it was with mine.

Steve
    I've already changed it to EPP in BIOS. Values available are (OFF, AT, Ps/2, EPP, ECP). I've also got a Dell, but couldn't find the Enable vs Auto setting anywhere.

David

Post Thanks / Like

Its on the same page as you set the parallel port to EPP.

My page looked like the following before I made the correct changes:
    Serial Port: [Auto]
    Parallel Port: [Auto]
    Mode: [ECP]

Audio: [Enabled]
    Legacy USB Support [Enabled]

When I finished, it looked like the following (and it worked too :D ):
    Serial Port: [Auto]
    Parallel Port: [Enabled]
    Mode: [EPP]

Audio: [Enabled]
    Legacy USB Support [Enabled]

The red items are the ones I changed. Parallel Port can be set to Auto (default), Enabled, and Disabled. You want to make sur eit is set to Enabled for the reasons mentioned above.

Sorry it took me so long to get you an answer. Couldn't check my computer from work.

Steve

Post Thanks / Like

Default Testing Updates

Was out of town over the weekend, but didn't get to test anything. I did assemble 16 SSR boards (no opto's or triacs installed). Did 8 one night and 8 the next. Didn't set off any of the fire alarms in the hotels either

I've reviewed my bios settings again, and can find no option to enable or disable. I also just borrowed the wife's computer [not a happy wife] to test it out. I also needed to update the setting to EPP there, but the test had rather similar results. I'm now trying to decide if I should try to build another 595 board and see if it works better or not. My laptop doesn't have parallel (or serial for that matter) ports, so I can't test with it.

David

Post Thanks / Like

Dave

R u close to anyone else that you could test you hardware with?

If you are in Melb, AUS; I could put you board on my test setup.

John.
    [B]John[/B]
    [url]www.xmasinmelb.com[/url] General Site
    [url]www.xmasinmelb.com/zencart/[/url] Online Store

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast