Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Build Questions

Post Thanks / Like

Default Build Questions

Let's start this thread so we can all help walk each other through the build. Let's try to keep all questions and answers in one place....
    Lou

Pearland, Tx (sometimes) and anywhere on the globe the rest of the time
    Post Thanks / Like

Default Re: Build Questions

Great Idea Lou!
    WLC Ventures is now [URL="http://radiant-holidays.com"]Radiant Holidays![/URL]

Post Thanks / Like

Watch out on the resistors - the 750 Ω is very similar to the 150 Ω, and easy to switch, as they are 1/4 watt, and very small. I recommend, when you lay out your resistors, meter them.

R

Post Thanks / Like

If you open the field bag, I believe you can tell the difference by the amount, there are more of one than the other...
    Lou

Post Thanks / Like

I also talked with David (Firegod), about the resistors required, on the SSROz'. If you use the LED's, on the Field Modules, you have to use 510 Ω resistors on the SSR's, for the triac gate, due to the voltage drop across the LED's. I was NOT looking forward to changing out a bunch of resistors, nor was I happy with having two different SSR's, one with 510 Ω, the other with 750 Ω. David suggested using a 6 volt regulator, instead of a 5 volt, and I wouldn't have to change out the resistors. I have several on order, and will be using them. This is the Mouser page for the ones he told me to use:

6 Volt regulator

R

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by lbro View Post
    If you open the field bag, I believe you can tell the difference by the amount, there are more of one than the other...
    There are 4 of the 150 Ω and one of the 750 Ω. I'm just saying that they are very small, and the color code for 750 and 150, is very close, violet-green-brown, and brown-green-brown. It's hard to distinguish between the violet and brown, due to size. You don't have to meter out the brown-red-red's, they are very apparent. Just meter out the 5 until you hit the one 750...

R

Post Thanks / Like

OK, PC Interfaces done...here's the order I found works great...YMMV, as everyone has their preferences, but for somebody who doesn't...I am taking pictures as I go, each step, in the hopes of making, or somebody making a Wiki for the FireGod, if there's interest.

1. Resistors - all
    2. Zener Diode
    3. Diodes
    4. Sockets
    5. Caps C1-4, C6
    6. Cap C7
    7. DB Connector
    8. Power Jack (same time as DB Connector)
    9. RJ45 Jacks
    10. Cap C5
    11. Voltage Regulator and Heat Sink
    [IMG]http://crbest.com/vixenlogo02.jpg[/IMG]

Roger Phillips
    Oxford, IN
    256 channels of blinkin', dimmin' bliss...
    "[B][I]The road goes on forever, and the party never ends!![/I][/B] [I]Robert Earl Keen[/I]

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by 51fordf2 View Post
    I am taking pictures as I go, each step, in the hopes of making, or somebody making a Wiki for the FireGod, if there's interest.
    I'm interested and . . . pictures are good.

Pearland, Tx (sometimes) and anywhere on the globe the rest of the time
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by 51fordf2 View Post
    OK, PC Interfaces done...here's the order I found works great...YMMV, as everyone has their preferences, but for somebody who doesn't...I am taking pictures as I go, each step, in the hopes of making, or somebody making a Wiki for the FireGod, if there's interest.

1. Resistors - all
    2. Zener Diode
    3. Diodes
    4. Sockets
    5. Caps C1-4, C6
    6. Cap C7
    7. DB Connector
    8. Power Jack (same time as DB Connector)
    9. RJ45 Jacks
    10. Cap C5
    11. Voltage Regulator and Heat Sink

hehehehe

Looks like getting to build mine later will be a GOOD THING!
    WLC Ventures is now [URL="http://radiant-holidays.com"]Radiant Holidays![/URL]

Post Thanks / Like

David suggested putting C7 in after mounting the voltage regulator and heatsink, so you can get to the screw easier, but I always mount the regulator to the heatsink first, tighten it, then mount it as a unit. Easier for me, but personal choice. I'll give both in the construction article. I have both interfaces done, and 4 field modules done. I should be ready to look at getting the PICs programmed soon. Need to start from scratch, on those. Oh goody, something new to learn (and buy!!).

More to follow...

R

Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast