Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Do you have the lights & sounds of x-mas box & want to go computer animated?

Post Thanks / Like

Default Re: Do you have the lights & sounds of x-mas box & want to go computer animated?

Quote Originally Posted by Work207 View Post
    I have attempted to do this to my Mr. C's Light and sound.

I am not having any luck with this. I found the ribbon wires inside the box and hooked up the ground and one wire before hacking the whole thing. I played the music through VIXEN and had my box on to power the board that hold the plugins.

I am using a parallel cable, added the basic parallel plugin, verified the I/O resource settings and not getting any response.

Any suggestions would be great. I am not ready to spend $200+ for a Light-O-Rama board this year.

Anyone with less expensive or used components, please contact me.

Thank you

None of the channels are lighting up? U shure you have all the same cables hooked up in the right places?
    [url]www.RhodeIslandLights.co.nr[/url]

Post Thanks / Like

Default Re: Do you have the lights & sounds of x-mas box & want to go computer animated?

Before completely hacking the box I only tried one channel. I am thinking I wasn't really trying hard enough. I am making a PCB to plug the ribbon cable onto and try it again.

Is there a way to test the parallel port before installing the mod to the LSC? Is the output a signal or traceable via an LCD to see if they light up first?

Do you still have the settings for the "Basic Parallel" plugin you can share?

Once I get this going, I will do a video tutorial with step by step instructions and showing it working.

Thanks

Post Thanks / Like

Before completely hacking the box I only tried one channel. I am thinking I wasn't really trying hard enough. I am making a PCB to plug the ribbon cable onto and try it again.

Is there a way to test the parallel port before installing the mod to the LSC? Is the output a signal or traceable via an LCD to see if they light up first?

Do you still have the settings for the "Basic Parallel" plugin you can share?

Once I get this going, I will do a video tutorial with step by step instructions and showing it working.

Thanks
    Each line in a parallel port can easily drive an led. Hook up a 300-700 ohm resistor in series with one of the legs of the LED and when a port is active, it will light up. The port has + voltage; the ground is obviously negative.

http://digwdf.com/store/
    The DIGWDF Store is closed for all sales. Thanks to everyone who supported us through the years!
    User guides, documentation and other files are still free and available for downloading.

Post Thanks / Like

In the video it says to hook the ground wire to the red wire on the Mr Christmas, is this correct?

Also, the parallel cable has 14 grounds, do you have to use them all or pick one?

Thanks

Post Thanks / Like

In the video it says to hook the ground wire to the red wire on the Mr Christmas, is this correct?

Also, the parallel cable has 14 grounds, do you have to use them all or pick one?

Thanks
    Pins 18-25 on a parallel port are all ground -- use any one of them. If the Mr. Christmas red wire is connected to ground, then that's ground.

http://digwdf.com/store/
    The DIGWDF Store is closed for all sales. Thanks to everyone who supported us through the years!
    User guides, documentation and other files are still free and available for downloading.

Post Thanks / Like

I have attempted to do this to my Mr. C's Light and sound.

Any suggestions would be great. I am not ready to spend $200+ for a Light-O-Rama board this year.

Anyone with less expensive or used components, please contact me.

Thank you
    You can build a 16 channel controller including a case and cords for about $100. There are several good designs mentioned here on DIYC and some other web forums (PM me for web links). If you get the boards/parts during a coop purchase, the price is less than just buying them separately.

Sometimes a member is selling their old gear for around the same price or slightly higher since it's already assembled and tested.

Mark

Post Thanks / Like

Newbie here chiming in. I'm playing with the mod myself, I just used some solid cat 5 cable. I punched the solid cat5 down to an RJ45 jack, took the loose ends and inserted them into the appropriate female position of the ribbon cable. I then plugged a parallel to RJ45 cable into it. That way I could test and not destroy (wife would kill me :D). Ran a test sequence and now I'm hooked.

Post Thanks / Like

Interesting hack... expensive for what you're getting. It's interesting seeing that this thread has generated a ton of responses from newer members.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by sdrose65 View Post
    Newbie here chiming in. I'm playing with the mod myself, I just used some solid cat 5 cable. I punched the solid cat5 down to an RJ45 jack, took the loose ends and inserted them into the appropriate female position of the ribbon cable. I then plugged a parallel to RJ45 cable into it. That way I could test and not destroy (wife would kill me :D). Ran a test sequence and now I'm hooked.
    I have an old parallel cable that I am using.

I am using Vixen 2.1.1.0 and installed the Basic Parallel plugin and left the settings as they are. Is this what you are doing or something a little different?

Is it working fine for you?

Post Thanks / Like

I hacked an old parallel cable and put an RJ45 connector on the end. Using vixen 2.1.1.0 also.

My first issue was making sure parallel port was enabled in BIOS (DOH!). I first had it configured as a bi-directional port - didn't work - all lines lit up as soon as windows initialized and installed the printer port. To make a long story short I had to remove the parallel port driver from windows (xp), set the bios so the printer port was output only, rebooted the box, windows reinstalled the port, and yes Basic Parallel with port set at Standard port 1 (0378). Now all "blinky-flashy") Got my ren 24ss in and parts on order. Six channels just isn't enough - already. Only been thinking about this for three years.
    Last edited by sdrose65; 11-11-2009 at 06:42 PM. Reason: added parallel cable info and vixen version

Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast