Introducing a new line of Renard based controllers.
Why another Renard design?
The Renard concept is now approximately three years old with boards being available to the DIYC community for about two years. The three current Renard board designs were each created by different individuals with different design goals in mind. There is nothing wrong with any of the existing designs, each board performs well. But providing support for them in the DIYC community is made more difficult by each board having different levels of documentation available, each board has its own unique power & hook-up requirements and each board has its own unique BOM. To make it easier for new members and also easier on those who provide support to the DIYC community, a common Renard design is needed.
The Renard Standardized Series (SS) controllers are part of a design effort to standardize the board layouts for Renard based systems and to establish a standardized list of components to use in Renard designs. Some of the goals of the Renard SS design effort were:
- Completely self-contained controller board. All that is needed to start using the board is a data input and an AC power source. No external DC voltage supply or externally generated ZC is needed and there is no need for an off-board neutral bar.
- Common part list used for all boards. There are no special parts for any individual board, all the boards use the same components. The only thing different is the quantity used on each board.
- Common component layout on the board. With only a few exceptions, all the boards are laid out in the same fashion. The layout utilized in the Renard SS designs was chosen to provide the best possible isolation between the AC circuitry and the DC circuitry.
- On-board LEDs for full support of Renard diagnostics firmware.
- Easier for a new member to build. By removing extra options from the board, now a member can just order the parts from the BOM and will be able to build the board without having to figure out which options/parts apply to them.
- Easier to support. By having all the boards using the same parts and having the same component layout, it will be easier to provide support to DIYC members when they have problems or ask questions.
The result of the Renard SS design effort is three new Renard based boards with on-board SSRs consisting of 8, 16 and 24 channels.
- Complete documentation. In the past, boards were created, designed, produced and distributed without much documentation to support them. Documentation was an afterthought and was slow to catch up, some never did or is hard to understand for new members. In the Renard SS design effort, the documentation was created at the same time as the boards so that when the boards were ready for release, the documentation was also ready.
These boards are 'in stock' and available from Wayne J
I keep all three boards on hand. Click the links below for pricing....
Kits available also.....
The complete wiki documentation for each board.....
Renard SS 8
Renard SS 16
Renard SS 24
Size = 3.4” x 6”
Size = 4.1” x 8”
Size = 4” x 11”
Renard SS24 with heat sink installed
Renard SS8 mounted in a CG-1000 (yourbroadbandstore.com) enclosure
Renard SS16 mounted in a CG-1000 (yourbroadbandstore.com) enclosure
Renard SS24 mounted in a CG-2000 (yourbroadbandstore.com) enclosure