Thread: Economy

Post Thanks / Like

Default Economy

Drop in metal prices forces layoffs at mine

This is the only major employer in our area, so 'at least' 1550 families will soon be out of work and forced to leave the Morenci/Clifton/Safford area.

Regardless of whether or not you voted for Obama, please join me in praying for the Lord to give him guidance in getting our country back on track.

Please also pray for our family, friends & neighbors.

Thanks,

-Murl

Post Thanks / Like

Default Re: Economy

Thank you for your prayers! The layoffs started last Monday, but it looks like I'm going to be safe.

Please continue to pray for our community, though, because a lot of good people lost their jobs this week. In all, we've gone from a peak of over 4,000 employees last year to somewhere around 1,500 today. A lot of these people were born and raised here, and have never lived anywhere else. In many families, both parents were layed off at the same time.

On the plus side, the company has been pretty open and honest with us. They followed the procedures outlined in the guiding principals, so most of us had a pretty good idea of where we stood before the names were announced. It still hurts.

I just pray that the economy turns around soon so they can all get rehired quickly.

-Murl