Results 1 to 10 of 10

Thread: Vixen 2.x users, any interest in a new Preview?

  1. #1
    Join Date
    Feb 2008
    Location
    Warminster, PA
    Posts
    1,928
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default Vixen 2.x users, any interest in a new Preview?

    So, this is really a post asking if there is any interest. I've created a new preview for Vixen 2.x, I'm calling it Blitzen preview. Currently it's set up for my display but if anyone interested I can make things more configurable for other displays.

    So, the why?
    For years I've been frustrated with the Adjustable preview because it takes too much time to edit and I end up with colors blending instead of seeing separate colors. This was really evident in the minitrees and anything else that uses a lot of ramps and fades.

    So, what I made is a preview that I think is easier to set up(I drew my whole display in about 5 - 10 minutes) and solves the issue colors blending.
    In general, you draw shapes that are assigned to channels and it renders bulbs for each of those channels so that they are not on top of each other(a link to a video will be at the end).

    Also, I added a dimming curve. It's display wide at this point. Basically the hope is it will help me get a better view of how the fade, shimmers, etc. will look on my display in real life.

    Here's a introduction video to show how it works and I'll post the files to be downloaded if you want to try it shortly.
    https://youtu.be/QDrxgZKX8YY

    Here is a link to the download if you want to give it a try.
    http://ctm.maloneylights.com/downloads/


    Let me know what you think and if you think this would be any help to you.

    Chris.
    Last edited by ctmal; 01-24-2023 at 07:06 PM. Reason: moved video to the correct channel
    Chris
    [URL="http://www.maloneylights.com"]http://www.maloneylights.com[/URL]
    [URL="http://halloween.maloneylights.com"]http://halloween.maloneylights.com[/URL]
    [URL="http://ctm.maloneylights.com"]http://ctm.maloneylights.com[/URL]

  2. #2
    Join Date
    Oct 2014
    Location
    Sauk City, WI USA
    Posts
    2,608
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default Re: Vixen 2.x users, any interest in a new Preview?

    Very interesting Chris. I have wondered if there is any interest in a AC "onlyish" sequencer. It will be interesting to see how many people download your preview. It looks really nice. Wish it had been around in 2014.

  3. #3
    Join Date
    Feb 2008
    Location
    Warminster, PA
    Posts
    1,928
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default Re: Vixen 2.x users, any interest in a new Preview?

    Quote Originally Posted by MikeKrebs View Post
    Very interesting Chris. I have wondered if there is any interest in a AC "onlyish" sequencer. It will be interesting to see how many people download your preview. It looks really nice. Wish it had been around in 2014.
    Thanks Mike, I'm kind of curious too.
    Chris
    [URL="http://www.maloneylights.com"]http://www.maloneylights.com[/URL]
    [URL="http://halloween.maloneylights.com"]http://halloween.maloneylights.com[/URL]
    [URL="http://ctm.maloneylights.com"]http://ctm.maloneylights.com[/URL]

  4. #4
    Join Date
    Jan 2009
    Location
    Concord, North Carolina, USA
    Posts
    257
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default Re: Vixen 2.x users, any interest in a new Preview?

    That looks easier than the regular preview to get the effects. I'm still an incandescent user with Renards and Vixen 2.1. I don't know how much longer I'll be able to put up my display as is. I would like to try this preview if I change my setup to a more senior friendly design. Hope you continue to develop it so when I need it I'll be able to find it.
    Take what you can, give nothing back!
    2010 - First Attack - Success!
    2011 - Survived Second Attack!
    2012 - In Total Control
    2013 - Calm Sailing
    2014 - I feel a change in the wind
    2015 - no show - Got lazy in Paradise
    2016 - Back on course
    2017 - no show - Laying in a New Course
    2018 - Hard to Remember
    2019 - Ah, Calm Lights on the Horizon - static
    2020 - Maybe? Nope. Looking ahead - new adventure
    2021 - Making adjustments for the new adventure - more difficult than expected, but working
    2022 - Old pirates shouldn't have to think so much, but the adventure continues at least one more time

  5. #5
    Join Date
    Dec 2007
    Location
    Jacksonville, FL
    Posts
    559
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default Re: Vixen 2.x users, any interest in a new Preview?

    I'm a pixel user but I can appreciate the investment you put into making this preview. I started light displays back with the first version of Vixen (and a VB6 app I wrote) and DIY parallel port controlled mechanical relays and things have changed so much over the years. (I still have half a dozen REN24HCs up in the attic.) Thanks for taking the time to improve the hobby even if its audience is still A/C users.

  6. #6
    Join Date
    Nov 2011
    Location
    Chicago - Southwest Suburbs
    Posts
    8,610
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default Re: Vixen 2.x users, any interest in a new Preview?

    I can't help but ask, but why is it worth the effort to write a new preview module for software that's been dead for 10 years? What is it about Vixen 2 that keeps you from moving forward to the more modern options? Vixen 3 is a great sequencer for AC lights. I'd go as far as saying it's better than Vixen 2, even just for AC lights.

  7. #7
    Join Date
    Feb 2008
    Location
    Warminster, PA
    Posts
    1,928
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default Re: Vixen 2.x users, any interest in a new Preview?

    Quote Originally Posted by Capt'n Jack View Post
    That looks easier than the regular preview to get the effects. I'm still an incandescent user with Renards and Vixen 2.1. I don't know how much longer I'll be able to put up my display as is. I would like to try this preview if I change my setup to a more senior friendly design. Hope you continue to develop it so when I need it I'll be able to find it.
    The dll file will always be available from the link above. I have no plans of abandoning it.
    Chris
    [URL="http://www.maloneylights.com"]http://www.maloneylights.com[/URL]
    [URL="http://halloween.maloneylights.com"]http://halloween.maloneylights.com[/URL]
    [URL="http://ctm.maloneylights.com"]http://ctm.maloneylights.com[/URL]

  8. #8
    Join Date
    Feb 2008
    Location
    Warminster, PA
    Posts
    1,928
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default Re: Vixen 2.x users, any interest in a new Preview?

    Quote Originally Posted by Braveit1 View Post
    I'm a pixel user but I can appreciate the investment you put into making this preview. I started light displays back with the first version of Vixen (and a VB6 app I wrote) and DIY parallel port controlled mechanical relays and things have changed so much over the years. (I still have half a dozen REN24HCs up in the attic.) Thanks for taking the time to improve the hobby even if its audience is still A/C users.
    Thanks for the nice comment. It's appreciated.
    Chris
    [URL="http://www.maloneylights.com"]http://www.maloneylights.com[/URL]
    [URL="http://halloween.maloneylights.com"]http://halloween.maloneylights.com[/URL]
    [URL="http://ctm.maloneylights.com"]http://ctm.maloneylights.com[/URL]

  9. #9
    Join Date
    Feb 2008
    Location
    Warminster, PA
    Posts
    1,928
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default Re: Vixen 2.x users, any interest in a new Preview?

    Quote Originally Posted by jchuchla View Post
    I can't help but ask, but why is it worth the effort to write a new preview module for software that's been dead for 10 years? What is it about Vixen 2 that keeps you from moving forward to the more modern options? Vixen 3 is a great sequencer for AC lights. I'd go as far as saying it's better than Vixen 2, even just for AC lights.
    That's a fair question. I tried Vixen 3 years ago and even submitted some tutorials for writing effects and submitted some fixes for (now defunct I believe) mark manager. Unfortunately, I found it to be a lot more work than Vixen 2. I know that probably has changed by now so at some point I'll give it a try but we'll see. I've looked for some examples recently but all I found was examples for pixels so I gave up.

    I can give more details if you'd like but I don't want to sound like I'm bashing Vixen 3 because I'm not. I think its great, just for me, I find Vixen 2 to be easier and better for non pixel displays.

    Also, it gives me something to play with programming wise. Little projects like this really do help in crafting a better more organized style(although I still think I have a long way to go).
    Chris
    [URL="http://www.maloneylights.com"]http://www.maloneylights.com[/URL]
    [URL="http://halloween.maloneylights.com"]http://halloween.maloneylights.com[/URL]
    [URL="http://ctm.maloneylights.com"]http://ctm.maloneylights.com[/URL]

  10. #10
    Join Date
    Nov 2007
    Location
    SLC, UT
    Posts
    956
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default Re: Vixen 2.x users, any interest in a new Preview?

    Quote Originally Posted by ctmal View Post
    ... Unfortunately, I found it to be a lot more work than Vixen 2. I know that probably has changed by now so at some point I'll give it a try but we'll see. ... I think its great, just for me, I find Vixen 2 to be easier and better for non pixel displays.
    I still use Vixen 2.5 and I felt the same way when I tried Vixen 3 when it was first coming out. I felt like it was mostly focused on pixel control and I didn't feel like I had the same amount of control of the lights when trying to program the same AC effects.
    Either way, I really appreciate Chris's work on this new previewer and will save me tons of time when my display changes. I've been putting off updating my previewer for some time because of the time it takes.

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •