Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Show Networks - Still Required????

Post Thanks / Like

Default Show Networks - Still Required????

I have been having a hard time this year getting my show running due to issues setting up my show network.

I am using an FPP Master RPi with a cape and 9 FPP remotes. Since all the information is stored locally on the individual controllers how necessary is it to set up a separate show network? My home network easily reaches all the controllers and since I am only sending a sync signal to the controllers I am wondering if this will still overwhelm my home network

Thoughts?
    2012 - 1st year 64 Channels - 7500 LED lights - 5 sequences
    2013 - 128 Channels - 10,000 LED lights - 7 sequences (2 New)
    2014 - 201 Channels - upgrading 8 Arches to dumb RGB - 8+ sequences (1+ New)
    2015 - 240 Channels + 8 Universes - sequences TBD
    2016 - No Display
    2017 - Back in the Game - 240 Renard Channels + 12 Universes
    2018 - 256 Renard and 9 Falcon Outputs of Pixels - 16 sequences shown over 2 nights
    2019 - 256 Renard and 9 Falcon Outputs of Pixels - 16 sequences shown over 2 nights
    2020 - Emergency Conversion to Falcon F48 with limited wireless
    2021 - 10 RHL Simple Pi Pixel Controllers - 1 Master with 9 Remotes

Post Thanks / Like

Default Re: Show Networks - Still Required????

Hey Tom, for me I still have a show network and for one controller a 2nd subnet just for it do to the config I am running. This is the first year I am not putting and e131 on the networks and I see a big difference, before I couldn't even connect to equipment while it was running a show, now however I can connect just fine since its only sync packets. So for me, I could probably do it without a separate network but for me that is part of the fun, even though it can drive me crazy from time to time.

Post Thanks / Like

I do not us a show network on my master/remote setup

Post Thanks / Like

I also dropped my separate show network this year (AP Died) and have no issues streaming over WiFi while the show is running. mostly using remote ESPs and Remote FPP with a little bit of unicast E1.31 that never goes back into the house (switches segregate unicast traffic very nicely) and does not go over the WiFi.

2022 - Not sure yet. At least two new songs.
    2021 New Tune-to sign. New 40x27 matrix at the house. Retiring the Strip based matrix. Updating some of the old window frames to the new house. Adding two new songs.
    2020 Full sized show reworked for the new location. Only adding (famous last words) 13 RBLs that I finally got converted to using pixels
    2019 - Just moved into a new home (yet another change of plans). Will be dim but not dark. Too much to do at the new place to leave time for a show. Dim show (3000 pixels) had regular visits most nights.
    https://www.youtube.com/user/MartinMueller2003

Post Thanks / Like

I still do a show network as I prefer to keep my blinky stuff separate, but it's unnecessary. Master/remote won't clog up your home network.

Post Thanks / Like

It all comes down to how you want to setup your show.

For us, we went back to a single RPi sending E1.31 and DDP across a wired network. We had several remotes in prior years, and a master, but decided it worked better for us to just have a single master sending to the various controllers. This means a lot of traffic, but the network can handle it.

So, for us - separate networks work.
    Live, Laugh, Love.

Post Thanks / Like

For me, the convenience and security of a dedicated network for the show are the deciding factors. The equipment is inexpensive and the payback is huge. My show network is completely separate from the home network as there is no connection either by IP addressing or physical wiring between the two. This allows me to run the show network on PC's without any firewall or antivirus software and the PC's run like lightning. I use a flash drive to move sequences and/or music between the two, but that's only once or twice a year, so I don't find that inconvenient at all. We all remember how nice Windows-XP was, right? That's the OS I use for the show, too. It's long out of support from Microsoft, but since I use Vixen 2.1 to run the show, I have no need for updates of any kind for any software and don't worry that it's "out of date." It's lean and fast and it just runs.

So in my case, I made a commitment to a specific design and have stuck with it for more than a dozen years. I have zero problems or issues with it, which I really enjoy. I've found something that works, is dependable and consistent and doesn't need constant updating. For me, it's a beautiful thing.

http://digwdf.org/store/
    Even though the DIGWDF Store has been closed for almost five years, it's still awesome!
    User guides, documentation and other files are still free and available for downloading.

Post Thanks / Like

I use Vixen to run the show, not FPP, so I have a laptop sending the data to my controllers. Many say this is bad to have on your normal network because of the amount of traffic it creates. A way to minimize traffic jams is to use one piece of equipment for your show and then connect that to your network, all the traffic will be routed through that piece, say a Switch for wired only or a AP/Switch/Router if you have wireless items. Once initial communication is established the traffic will only be running through that piece, while all your other devices traffic will be routed though your normal switch or router. The bonus is this will allow outside connections for your show devices, I remote into them from work.
    Slowing moving from an all C9 show to Pixels, each year gets a bit more. "It feels like a carnival"
    https://www.facebook.com/ItsaDillonChristmas/

Post Thanks / Like

This year we did away with the show network as we had purchased a gigabyte switch with POE for our cameras and other hardwired item's. Has been less headaches and fewer problems. If you have good networking equipment id say not to make it more complicated than it has to be. We have in the past experienced problems with some esp's in the past taking a little while to sync up to the show but once they did the show was great. But since that we upgraded our AP's and like we said got the gig switch hard wired our controllers and have been testing remotes this year with no issues yet. Now watch tonight be the night. LOL

Post Thanks / Like

For the record, I ended up doing away with my Show Network. I added an inexpensive wireless router in Bridge Mode to my home network and put it in a window overlooking my front yard. My show has been working perfectly without ill effects on my home network, including streaming. My show is run by FPP Master and 9 FPP remotes.

Thanks for the advice!
    2012 - 1st year 64 Channels - 7500 LED lights - 5 sequences
    2013 - 128 Channels - 10,000 LED lights - 7 sequences (2 New)
    2014 - 201 Channels - upgrading 8 Arches to dumb RGB - 8+ sequences (1+ New)
    2015 - 240 Channels + 8 Universes - sequences TBD
    2016 - No Display
    2017 - Back in the Game - 240 Renard Channels + 12 Universes
    2018 - 256 Renard and 9 Falcon Outputs of Pixels - 16 sequences shown over 2 nights
    2019 - 256 Renard and 9 Falcon Outputs of Pixels - 16 sequences shown over 2 nights
    2020 - Emergency Conversion to Falcon F48 with limited wireless
    2021 - 10 RHL Simple Pi Pixel Controllers - 1 Master with 9 Remotes

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast