Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: X-lights or Vixen to FPP on Rpi to Arduino

Post Thanks / Like

Question X-lights or Vixen to FPP on Rpi to Arduino

I have 600 5v 2811 pixels, a Raspberry Pi and plenty of Arduino clone boards. My lighting budget is empty due to health...so I'd like to set up something. I thought of running them on my archway, but I thought maybe something like a mega tree.
    I'm thinking of just running random light patterns, no music.
    I've read that the Rpi runs 3.3 v on the data line off the GPIo pin and that the lights need 5v.
    I've read that the Arduino boards on the PWM would handle it.
    So if this is true, how do I output the pi to the Arduino?
    I think I have seen the code for the Arduino to wait for an input from a PC.
    If this has been discussed before I didn't find anything iny search.
    I appreciate any input.

Tim

Post Thanks / Like

Default Re: X-lights or Vixen to FPP on Rpi to Arduino

lots of time. first, 281x does NOT use PWM. PWM is for dumb pixels and single strands. you need a generic serial to pixel sketch for the arduino. lots of those around.

2022 - Not sure yet. At least two new songs.
    2021 New Tune-to sign. New 40x27 matrix at the house. Retiring the Strip based matrix. Updating some of the old window frames to the new house. Adding two new songs.
    2020 Full sized show reworked for the new location. Only adding (famous last words) 13 RBLs that I finally got converted to using pixels
    2019 - Just moved into a new home (yet another change of plans). Will be dim but not dark. Too much to do at the new place to leave time for a show. Dim show (3000 pixels) had regular visits most nights.
    https://www.youtube.com/user/MartinMueller2003

Post Thanks / Like

I know you said your budget was empty but this device would make it really simple (first hit on amazon - never used). If I had a couple laying around, I'd send you a few but alas, I can't find any in my stashes.
    https://www.amazon.com/KeeYees-Chann...dp/B07LG646VS/

Alternatively, you can run fastled on a uno or mega and control your leds with a few canned effects. Download fastled and then look at the demo code.

Using Martin's method, you would attach the clone to the rPi with a USB cable and then see if you can hit a really fast baud rate. In addition, your code will need to read the receive buffer extremely quick and then when you are done reading the data packet, you will call "show" and voila. I think you will run into speed of update issues or memory issues but you might get 600 running on one clone.

@barnabybear wrote a pixel counting sketch that I don't think is publicly available but it would read the pixel data off the rPi and then send it out a second gpio. This would in effect be what you are looking for. I don't understand how he did it but maybe someone can point a direction.

Post Thanks / Like

You can run two strings of ws281x pixels directly from the Pi, no need for the Arduino. Why complicate it with the Arduino. Install FPP, wire the two strings to the two pins (info in the online help of FPP), and that's pretty much it.
    Dan Kulp

Post Thanks / Like

Thanks

Post Thanks / Like

Thanks
    I kept reading that the Pi had issues with it's 3.3v output for data where as the Arduino was at 5v.
    I'll search the online help to find it.
    Thanks

Post Thanks / Like

Question Re: X-lights or Vixen to FPP on Rpi to Arduino

Quote Originally Posted by dkulp View Post
    You can run two strings of ws281x pixels directly from the Pi, no need for the Arduino. Why complicate it with the Arduino. Install FPP, wire the two strings to the two pins (info in the online help of FPP), and that's pretty much it.
    I seen where it mentioned that two strings can be connected but I didn't find anything else...
    1) what controller do you patch to in Vixen or X-lights?
    2)what settings are used in FPP- to output to the GPIO pins? Pins 18 and 19?

Is there any documentation or better yet a YouTube video? I greatly appreciate all the assistance and comments everyone shares.

Again I am very thankful.
    Tim

Post Thanks / Like

there are a number of Pixel PI Hats. If you have FPP installed you can see some of them listed in the output hat configuration

2022 - Not sure yet. At least two new songs.
    2021 New Tune-to sign. New 40x27 matrix at the house. Retiring the Strip based matrix. Updating some of the old window frames to the new house. Adding two new songs.
    2020 Full sized show reworked for the new location. Only adding (famous last words) 13 RBLs that I finally got converted to using pixels
    2019 - Just moved into a new home (yet another change of plans). Will be dim but not dark. Too much to do at the new place to leave time for a show. Dim show (3000 pixels) had regular visits most nights.
    https://www.youtube.com/user/MartinMueller2003

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by MartinMueller2003 View Post
    there are a number of Pixel PI Hats. If you have FPP installed you can see some of them listed in the output hat configuration
    Thanks.

I have FPP installed but when I do the drop-down for the PiHat Cape there are only 2 choices of PiHat and PiHat(DPIPixals....)
    I'd like to run 600 WS2811 pixels but I can't get even 50 to light
    Data is connected to GPIO 18, Pixels power by 5v power supply with a common ground to the Pi as well

Is it possible that any settings in Vixen is causing the issue with the output in FPP?

I gave up on getting these lights out for this year, thinking of getting them out for 4th of July etc but still need to get it output.

I do appreciate everyone input and time spent trying to help me.

Tim

Post Thanks / Like

Did you choose a pihat? how far are the pixels from the rpi?

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast