Thread: Now going to try xLights.....

Post Thanks / Like

Default Now going to try xLights.....

..... it seems easier than Vixen, to me.....

But, will xlight sequences run on espixelstick V3 firmware?? Or even V4?

In test mode, the lights work perfectly...... Actually RUNNING a sequence, not so much.

I took a few days off for emergency, but I'm now back to pester all of you..... Sorry....

Post Thanks / Like

Default Re: Now going to try xLights.....

ESPixelStick, ALL versions; support E1.31 lighting data which is generated by Vixen 3, xLights and FPP (among many other show players). ESPixelStick V4 also supports operation as an FPP Remote player which SIGNIFICANTLY reduces network traffic and the lag caused by high WiFi bandwidth usage. Both the FPP and xLights support the generation of the FPP Synch files to operate in this mode. In addition Vixen and xLights support the creation of the "Sparse FSEQ" files needed by the ESPixelStick to operate in this mode.

2022 - Not sure yet. At least two new songs.
    2021 New Tune-to sign. New 40x27 matrix at the house. Retiring the Strip based matrix. Updating some of the old window frames to the new house. Adding two new songs.
    2020 Full sized show reworked for the new location. Only adding (famous last words) 13 RBLs that I finally got converted to using pixels
    2019 - Just moved into a new home (yet another change of plans). Will be dim but not dark. Too much to do at the new place to leave time for a show. Dim show (3000 pixels) had regular visits most nights.
    https://www.youtube.com/user/MartinMueller2003

Post Thanks / Like

I only ever do Sparse FSEQ even in single FPP mode; I've never seen a reason to do anything but.

Interesting that your Test mode in Xlights works but your standalone FPP player doesn't. I had the opposite problem when I first started. Did you try first doing a non-musical Animation in Xlights and uploading the FSEQ file to the FPP server via the File Manager, and running "Play" command (and making sure it is Sparse FSEQ)? The .xsq file is not the FSEQ file.

Post Thanks / Like

The file you put on the Master FPP (show player) is not usually sparse. It has to be pretty complete if it is going to send E1.31 data to other controllers.

2021 New Tune-to sign. New 40x27 matrix at the house. Retiring the Strip based matrix. Updating some of the old window frames to the new house. Adding two new songs.
    2020 Full sized show reworked for the new location. Only adding (famous last words) 13 RBLs that I finally got converted to using pixels
    2019 - Just moved into a new home (yet another change of plans). Will be dim but not dark. Too much to do at the new place to leave time for a show. Dim show (3000 pixels) had regular visits most nights.

Post Thanks / Like

I am using DDP on my V3 ESPIxelsticks with XLights.
    Inventor of the "LED Keeper"

My Videos [URL="http://www.vimeo.com/Dennischerry"]www.vimeo.com/Dennischerry[/URL]

Post Thanks / Like

While significantly more efficient (from a bandwidth usage standpoint), DDP will still swamp a WiFi network and cause lag. FPP Remote mode has the FPP master send a single small packet telling the remote what song they should be playing and what frame they should be on. That packet is sent once per frame (max 40 per second) and does NOT contain any intensity data. Since it is sent as a multicast message, only one is sent out no matter how many FPP remotes are active. For a show network, this is a trivial load.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by MartinMueller2003 View Post
    The file you put on the Master FPP (show player) is not usually sparse. It has to be pretty complete if it is going to send E1.31 data to other controllers.
    I'm just saying if xLights is not working, to go into Xlights->Preferences and make sure you have "Save to FSEQ" checked, and have the right FSEQ being exported (probably V2. I have V2 ZSTD). That could be why Test mode is working but uploading to FPP is not. Other possibility is if you're using FPP Connect to upload from Xlights, it's possible the sequence's fseq is not being checkboxed. You could be uploading the layout & channel data, but not the sequence.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by MartinMueller2003 View Post
    While significantly more efficient (from a bandwidth usage standpoint), DDP will still swamp a WiFi network and cause lag. FPP Remote mode has the FPP master send a single small packet telling the remote what song they should be playing and what frame they should be on. That packet is sent once per frame (max 40 per second) and does NOT contain any intensity data. Since it is sent as a multicast message, only one is sent out no matter how many FPP remotes are active. For a show network, this is a trivial load.
    I agree using remotes and sending sync pulses is much better.
    My show is small and using only 6 ESPixelsticks one has 390 pixels 2 have 306 pixels and really do not see any lag on them.
    DDP is slightly better than E1.31.
    Thinking about tryout remotes this year.
    Inventor of the "LED Keeper"

My Videos [URL="http://www.vimeo.com/Dennischerry"]www.vimeo.com/Dennischerry[/URL]

Post Thanks / Like

Don't mean to go OT (for too long at least), but if I mount my ethernet shields I already have onto my Arduinos, can I flash ESpixelStick firmware onto the Arduino and it'll work?

Adamant user and worshipper of the "LED Keeper".

Post Thanks / Like

The ESPixelStick software was developed to exploit the hardware UARTS, hardware SPI and hardware RMT interfaces. Those are not available on most other Arduino platforms.