Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Vixen 3 FPP5 how to Play video

Post Thanks / Like

Default Vixen 3 FPP5 how to Play video

I've been trying to figure out how to get a video to play from a vixen3 sequence after upgrading to FPP5. I've uploaded a few short videos and I've been able to get them to play directly from the FPP hdmi port to a monitor by setting up a playlist for just the video and running the playlist from the status page. I want to be able to play the video as part of the sequence from Vixen. I think I'm supposed to set up a command preset and a control channel from Vixen? I've set up a custom value of 1 and mapped it to a channel in my display setup. I used the last channel in a controller already configured. I'm using unicast addressing.
    In the FPP5 I've tried setting command presets with all kinds of types and setting, but I'm not able to trigger the videos to work. Am I supposed to use another method as a trigger the videos?

ControlCH.PNG

Presets.PNG

Post Thanks / Like

Default Re: Vixen 3 FPP5 how to Play video

maybe update to FPP v6.02.2 first.....so you don't run into similar issues when to do go from v5 to v6. V6 may also help with your issues.
    In Lights Therapy

Post Thanks / Like

I'm looking into it now. I'm looking for a manual to see if it lists any instructions on the command presets.

Post Thanks / Like

If you have a running FPP, the manual is listed under HELP
    Can't say what to do if you are not running FPP......
    In Lights Therapy

Post Thanks / Like

Live, Laugh, Love.

Post Thanks / Like

Thanks for the manual info. I will read through this and see if I can get it to work with this version. Unless I missed something it didn't mention you need to go into advanced mode in order to see the input/output tab under the settings page. Can anyone confirm the flow or pieces required? I know I have to have the videos on the Pi.
    Can I play the videos on the local Pi or do they have to be on a remote player?
    I've set up a custom effect in Vixen with a single channel and used number 1, but I'm unclear on how this relates to the preset. I figure this must match the preset number FPP.
    I have the command preset in FPP command set to Play Media and pointing to a video. I've set the preset slot to 1 as well. I'm not sure if that needs to match the Vixen custom value or something else. I would assume the Vixen custom value so you can have more than one trigger.
    I've not got this completely set up on 6.0.2 yet, so I will give this a shot and see how it hopefully works.

Post Thanks / Like

Input/Output Settings are on the main menu.Input Output 1.jpg
    Live, Laugh, Love.

Post Thanks / Like

If I'm looking at this correctly I need to set the control channel under the FPP setting page in the I/O tab. I've listed the screen shots of what I have. I have mode some progress I think. I found I needed to install the VLC player or at least update it. I also went back to some information for FPP v4 and see they used scripts with events, so I worked on getting the play video scripts configured. I've been able to set 2 scripts and when I press the run option for the script under file manager>scripts I can see the video play now. Now I need to be able to trigger this from a sequence. I've set a control channel off the last channel of controller 3 (ch 18360). I set a custom element and I've set them to 1 and the second one to 2. I've not had any luck triggering them to play. Any ideas? What am I missing? What should the custom element be set to? I've read in the older FPP something about a X 10 multiplier.

Channel.PNG
    CommPre.jpg
    IO.PNG
    Presets.PNG
    ControlCH.PNG

Post Thanks / Like

Should I be able to play the video from the same Pi player that runs the sequence? The only other thing I know to try is to set up another pi player and see if the output from the master Pi will trigger the second pi? I've seen several videos playing when I watch shows on utube. I'm sure this has been done successfully by many. I think someone stole the secret recipe from my user's manual for this setup.

Post Thanks / Like

I used to do this a while back. One thing I'll caution you on is that FPP has changed their mechanism for triggering a few times now. It seems like every year I need to make some changes to the system to make it work again. I'm not using it to trigger videos anymore, but i am still using it for triggering scripts. Each sequence has a custom value effect on a control channel element. Then I have commands set up to run scripts based on the control channel value. In my case, the commands run on secondary FPP instance. But it's not in remote mode, it's just another master with no schedule set up. (used to be called bridge mode) The master has the control channel set up as an sACN output that's multicastng to the network. The secondary pi has that universe set up as an sACN input. Since i'm not using the control channel locally for commands on the master pi, i don't have it set up in FPP settings on the master. Only on the secondary unit. On that secondary unit, it only handles one channel, so i map that to channel 1 in that FPP's channel buffer and the control channel is set to 1. Regardless of what the actual number is in the sequence. (i keep calling it secondary so as not to confuse it with master/remote)

This secondary FPP is in storage at the moment, so I can't get the exact config for you.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast