Thread: ESP8266 Module Clock Frequencies

Post Thanks / Like

Default ESP8266 Module Clock Frequencies

How accurate the cpu cloc frequency on the various esp8266 modules? Two issues - how accurate are the crystals on the boards, and how is 80 Mhz (or 160 Mhz) derived from the 26 Mhz crystal oscillators? The easiest way that I can see is to divide the 26Mhz by 13 (to reach 2.0 Mhz) and then use a PLL (or moral equivalent) to multiply that frequency by either 40 or 80 to reach 80 or 160 Mhz. I know that this is achievable (Microchip does it with some of their PIC24 and dsPIC33 parts), but I wonder how must jitter there is and how expensive in chip resources (or not). And in any case, 26Mhz seems to me to be an odd choice for a crystal frequency, but maybe they are used in great volume somewhere else.
    Phil

Post Thanks / Like

Default Re: ESP8266 Module Clock Frequencies

I can tell you that the clock on the ESP line of products is HORRIBLE as a real time source. I was seeing errors in excess of 1ms per second. If you really want an accurate clock get an I2C based RTC and keep it in sync with NTP.

2022 - Not sure yet. At least two new songs.
    2021 New Tune-to sign. New 40x27 matrix at the house. Retiring the Strip based matrix. Updating some of the old window frames to the new house. Adding two new songs.
    2020 Full sized show reworked for the new location. Only adding (famous last words) 13 RBLs that I finally got converted to using pixels
    2019 - Just moved into a new home (yet another change of plans). Will be dim but not dark. Too much to do at the new place to leave time for a show. Dim show (3000 pixels) had regular visits most nights.
    https://www.youtube.com/user/MartinMueller2003