Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Storage in hot and cold weather

Post Thanks / Like

Default Storage in hot and cold weather

Is there any concern in storing pixel lights, strip, props, etc. in hot or cold temperatures? What's are the limits?

I live in a climate that gets hot in the summer and cold in the winters. I'm running out of storage space in my basement and would like to start filling up the garage. I'm mostly concerned that the hot summer temperatures might not be great for my pixel lights. I'm not so worried about the cold temperatures. Could hot temperatures damage pixel lights?

Post Thanks / Like

Default Re: Storage in hot and cold weather

I've stored some cheap Arduino clones in the heat for precisely that purpose:. to test it. So long as they are not operating and are not under any kind of physical stress while they are hot, they work like a charm. However, I have had RF devices fail very regularly after storing in the heat. Wireless controllers fit that category. I haven't stored pixels for long enough to tell you about that, but I think it's the LED strips you've got to watch out for.

Post Thanks / Like

St Louis weather (hot to cold). 55 foot long, 9 foot tall convex - closed metal box. The whole show is inside and hasn't had any problems for years now.

I would stress the fact (no pun intended) to make sure that the props are properly supported. When the temps get real high inside, coro and abs get "soft" and warping is a concern if not properly stacked or hung.
    Live, Laugh, Love.

Post Thanks / Like

Thanks for the info. Unfortunately, I was hoping to put the LED strips in the garage. I'll have to rework that plan.

Quote Originally Posted by 1pet2_9 View Post
    I've stored some cheap Arduino clones in the heat for precisely that purpose:. to test it. So long as they are not operating and are not under any kind of physical stress while they are hot, they work like a charm. However, I have had RF devices fail very regularly after storing in the heat. Wireless controllers fit that category. I haven't stored pixels for long enough to tell you about that, but I think it's the LED strips you've got to watch out for.

Post Thanks / Like

Good advice. I hadn't thought about warping.

Quote Originally Posted by algerdes View Post
    St Louis weather (hot to cold). 55 foot long, 9 foot tall convex - closed metal box. The whole show is inside and hasn't had any problems for years now.

I would stress the fact (no pun intended) to make sure that the props are properly supported. When the temps get real high inside, coro and abs get "soft" and warping is a concern if not properly stacked or hung.

Post Thanks / Like

I'm removing the Strips from my Arches this year and going to try Nodes in them. BUT for the last 6 years I have stored my PEX Arches with strips in them in my shed in South Georgia hanging upside-down. I did change from 30led/meter to 60led/meter after a couple of years so the latter were stored in there for 4 years with no trouble. The Arches
    kept there shape and the strips were fine. We have months of 90 degree weather so inside that metal shed has to get much Hotter than that. We hit 100 last Wednesday and
    it's only June!

Post Thanks / Like

Here in Houston, Tx I'm storing them in a separate 10x12 shed properly packed or hanging. The shed has a proper vented roof and side vents as well as some slow running fans hooked up to the solar in the shed. We have been getting up to 114F some days (not to mention the heat index feels like 122 plus humidity at 90%) in the last 6 years. originally for the first 4 years I stored them in a storage locker. The only thing I have ever not stored in storage or the shed are my LED controllers and any PLA items I have printed. I do store my AC controllers and they don't suffer from any issues.

My coro and lights as well as all my props (stars, flakes, canes, etc) including tinsel items unpack nicely every year. My mega tree uses the thin white boscoyo strips and they have unrolled year after year no problem.

The one item I ruined was my C9 strips I had for my garage outline, I believe they were made from ABS, it was a sub 34 degree day when I unpacked them and they broke at the tighter roll sections, I'm sure I could have heated them up with a heat gun then laid them in the sun for a while but I was impatient. That was on me and I learned a lesson.
    2012 - Current : I light things up and I know stuff, it's what I do!

Post Thanks / Like

Thank you for sharing your experience!

Quote Originally Posted by rayhjr View Post
    I'm removing the Strips from my Arches this year and going to try Nodes in them. BUT for the last 6 years I have stored my PEX Arches with strips in them in my shed in South Georgia hanging upside-down. I did change from 30led/meter to 60led/meter after a couple of years so the latter were stored in there for 4 years with no trouble. The Arches
    kept there shape and the strips were fine. We have months of 90 degree weather so inside that metal shed has to get much Hotter than that. We hit 100 last Wednesday and
    it's only June!

Post Thanks / Like

Thanks. Where did you get your C9 strips? Do you store any pixel strips in the shed?

Quote Originally Posted by sonic777 View Post
    Here in Houston, Tx I'm storing them in a separate 10x12 shed properly packed or hanging. The shed has a proper vented roof and side vents as well as some slow running fans hooked up to the solar in the shed. We have been getting up to 114F some days (not to mention the heat index feels like 122 plus humidity at 90%) in the last 6 years. originally for the first 4 years I stored them in a storage locker. The only thing I have ever not stored in storage or the shed are my LED controllers and any PLA items I have printed. I do store my AC controllers and they don't suffer from any issues.

My coro and lights as well as all my props (stars, flakes, canes, etc) including tinsel items unpack nicely every year. My mega tree uses the thin white boscoyo strips and they have unrolled year after year no problem.

The one item I ruined was my C9 strips I had for my garage outline, I believe they were made from ABS, it was a sub 34 degree day when I unpacked them and they broke at the tighter roll sections, I'm sure I could have heated them up with a heat gun then laid them in the sun for a while but I was impatient. That was on me and I learned a lesson.

Post Thanks / Like

The C9 strips came from Boscoyo, they were part of his first versions, 2" on center.

https://boscoyostudio.com/product/2-...unting-strips/

If I had my choice today and needed more, I would maybe go with this other one for two reasons, I have tried but never filled every hole on the strip and to mount the bulbs I have to remove the cover and press the cover back on for every bulb to mount to the strip. The 4" on center would be good for me, but maybe you want another version, he has a lot to choose from now.

https://boscoyostudio.com/product/4-...ounting-strip/
    2012 - Current : I light things up and I know stuff, it's what I do!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast